ACCURA and OPTIMA owners please take..........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer

Reaction score
:( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry:
Awhile back I asked the question concerning anyone having trouble with their CVA muzzleloader. I could be the victim of my own post :!: :!: :!: When I finished shooting yesterday I always clean my ACCURA at the range before I leave for home. I noticed 1/8th" cracks (both sides) in the weld between the barrel and the pivit locking piece. ( Sorry I don't know what it's called). I also noticed 2 notches cut in the stock, at the same place where the pivet locking piece goes into the stock. Once it's all put together I ask myself how did this accure because the barrel doesn't touch the metal part of the stock at all. I brought it back to BPS and they said they would send it back to CVA. I'm calling CVA in the morning to see "if this is a natural thing" :!: Reason I say that is I called my friend who hunts with an Optima and after he checked he got back to me with the same news.
:idea: Does anyone else have this problem :?: Check your CVA's gents :!: :!: Mine is only 1 month old and I bet I've only put 150 rounds thru it if that many :!: :!: :!:

no issues here. Any pics of these cracks?

Just to be sure, this is the area you're talking about right?
Accura-2008.jpg

Just checked my optima elite and nothing. but i will keep an eye on it. But rest assured, CVA will make it right. does your optima have the bergara barrel?

sorry my bad, just noticed you have the accura and yes it does have a bergara barrel.

Not at this time. Trying to get a camera good enough to get these tiny cracks in the stainless colored weld. If it wasn't for finding the grooves cut into the metal area on the stock, I wouldn't have found them.
That picture you put up is great. Now take the foreare grip off and look at the front of that piviting point. All my damage is hidden in your picture.

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked mine, and see no issues. I will keep my eye on it though.

thats a bummer, i hope you get er fixed!

my stepdad had to send a CVA back once. he called and talked to customer service and was instructed to send it in and they would fix it good as new. He did so and after weeks and weeks of waiting he called on it. they said they were getting to it and he would have it shortly. a few more weeks went by and it showed up, with a letter that said its fixed. but no, it had the same problem of misfireing, he sent it back and they, again, assured him it would be fixed. when it came back the second time, it came with a letter basicly saying its broke, we didnt fix it, your S.O.L.

this was only a few years back and i dont know what model he had at the time, but that was our expierence with CVA.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

HardcoreSlot,
thanks for the info but I hope CVA has changed it's repair or replacement system. I really don't want to wait weeks and weeks and weeks :!: :!: :!:

ya, ive talked to others and said they had no porblems, that was jus my experience with CVA. Hope yours is better!

UC,

Looks like a crack in the weld on the left side of the lug straight above the pivot point in pics #1 & #3. #2 also appears to have a crack in the right side, but it is hard to tell with that little booger of slag/splatter there. It is hard to tell from just looking at a picture, put it under magnification and tell us what you see. I might be seeing something that isn't there.

Those sure are some pretty welds, but just pretty don't always cut it. IMO, they should have programmed the robots to actually stop the weld around 1/4" before that point. That area is going to have the most stress and vibration, more than any other area on the rifle.

As long as it doesn't continue working it's way down, it would probably never be a real concern. However, it don't give you a warm and fuzzy feeling to look at it. If that crack could be milled out, without cutting into the barrel, IMO it could be stopped, possibly permanently.

Here are some pics of some ugly ground out welds on my NEF. They stop their welds before the ends because the material is so thin there, it would get burned out. There may also be another reason as well, but this is just a SWAG. That area would have more stress, heat, and vibration than any other area on the rifle. Stress, heat, and vibration are not friends to welds. This 2003 Huntsman has been shot more than any other rifle I have for over six years and has not had any problems. Notice how far back the weld is from the pivot, this may allow a little extra expansion/contraction and vibration to go on without effecting the weld?

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

It is also my opinion, that the farther that hinge point is from the bore, the more stress & vibration will effect it. Simple lever principal.

#3 is just where the weld stops as it has a cut out area for excess blow by to escape away from the shooter. Omega has the same thing.

The only thing i could see that look like "cracks" are these 3 small areas. It could easily be some extra material hanging over. Its just to hard to tell from a picture/angle.

sn2cdzcopy.jpg

Borrowing UC's pic's, this is the area I am talking about. LOOKS like it may be a crack, it could also be an illusion. :lol: But go back and look at his pics in his post, they are bigger.

Accuralug.jpg

Accuralug2.jpg

If I'm getting blow-by from a lug weld,,,I ain't shoting it!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

that part is the latch. just keeps the rifle locked togther and t heres a bored path through there for excess primer blow by.

The recoil lug that the stock mounts to isnt welded. Used a dove tail with a roll pin.

Back