Optima V2 50 cal Ram rod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called CVA when I discovered only one threaded end on the ram rod earlier this year. This thread prompted me to contact them again a couple of days ago. Their web site has a “Contact Us” option so I used this and did pretty much what Ka’imiloa suggested. I was nice about it and told them that there was a lot of “chatter” about this on the Muzzy forums.
I realize that many here don’t care for the CVA’s and I really don’t understand why. I currently have several and they all shoot better than I can. For the cost point, I really don’t see how you can go wrong.
D040B402-46AD-4696-8039-C4A948EC3C3D.jpeg
I still have some adjustments to make to the above, but I’m pretty happy.

Don‘t misunderstand, I still NEED a .45 Woodman!!

I agree. I’m not making excuses. I was one of the first to bring this to the forefront several months ago when I discovered what they had done and I agree that it is chicken stuff!!

Their CS is hot and cold. Deal with them long enough you’ll find out. They don’t care a whole lot about most issues you bring up to them. I’m 2 negative to one positive on major issues with them. Not a good track record for me.

You buy a new truck and you put different wheels and tires on it to change it the way you want/customize. You buy a muzzleloader it should have a ramrod on it that’s useful, and not need to spend an extra 25 bucks to get one that’s useful.

What does somebody do who is just getting started and doesn’t have a separate range rod to clean with? It’s a rhetorical question.

I borrowed a friend's CVA Optima last year for ML elk season and it shot very well with .50 Harvester "crushrib" sabots (a godsend for easy loading -- I've been shooting sabots for many years) and Harvester 330 gr. hardcast bullets. Could shoot 8 or 9 shots without any cleaning, using 110 gr. vol. of Blackhorn 209 (77 gr. by wt.), and then needed only modest bore-wipe. Believe I posted about that on the forum.

Notably, the brand new palm-saver ramrod suddenly lost its large end at a shot, due to the significant-weight palm-saver snapping off from its slim threaded portion ( most likely 10-32 threads like lots of jags and brushes, , not slimmer8-32 which is also common). I believe the rod moved slightly forward, exposing more of the palm-saver, and the 90 degree muzzleblast against it from that much Blackhorn was too much for an embrittled brass that was not well annealed. I talked to CVA and told them about this problem, and that it was a bit difficult for me to back out the remnant threaded portion from the ramrod, but possible. They immediately sent me the an entire new ramrod at no charge, because they did not have just the separate palm-saver end as a replacement. And yes, the ramrod extension for the ramrod is highly useful.

For those of you who quickly anger and blame such issues on greed or not-caring, I politely suggest you put yourself in the maker's place in today's world of ever-increasing inflation, low profit-margins, supply chain nightmares, large inventories of something that proves to have an apparent flaw (embrittled brass that would likely have been no problem, ever, with an ordinary jag, but when subjected to heavy side pressure at the muzzle with the palm saver ball and today's heavy loads, it sometimes snaps off) and more and more of this turns up from buyers. Sometimes, under such circumstances, it is impossible to inform all the dealers, plus all the public, plus all the writers, and the only option is to discontinue the troublemaking part that seemed so cool and helpful at first, and caused no problem in testing because the test pieces had more resilient brass.

I found the CVA rep very helpful and a good listener when I called, and asked him to pass the information, as to what I believed the problem was, up the line in management. I suggest some of you now call CVA and try, nicely, to get some more information to post here. Let them know about the forum bad-mouthing and how it is bad for business, and who knows what you may learn if you say you will post it.

Aloha, Ka'imiloa
I DID !

I'm not angry with CS. I'm angry with whoever came up with the idea to change the ramrod.

Latest posts

Back