cva accura lr-x = poor results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My gun locks up nice, the front forearm is off a bit. But it's a budget gun. Mass production is not going to perfect.
I did alot of reading on people's issues, most of the issues come from cleaning and loading. These are not guns for standard bullets and pellet powders.
I shoot bullet to bore that are custom sized and loose powder that is weight not volume.
What CVA model do you have? I have a .45 MR-X and the bore is choked. There is no way I can shoot full bore sized bullets (other than ones that have some sort of plastic..ie powerbelts). A year or so ago several people where all having issues with this in the new Accura line (MRX/LRX), just curious if they have addressed this issue. But i will say my MR-X shoots great with fury .402 startips and light blue harvester sabots... but even with those you can feel a noticeable lessening of pressure as you push the bullet down the last 10" or so of the barrel

Im thinking that talking to Mark Woodman about making a replacement barrel for an MR-X .45 is a good way to get a great ML
That would be amazing. Id for sure be a customer. I like the ergonomics and features of the MRX stock but the choke is the real problem with mine. It does shoot accurately though. I was shooting mine the other week and was hitting a steel plate at 150... 2 shots 2 impacts right next to each other (i didnt even have a very good rest... just shooting off a stump with no bag)

What CVA model do you have? I have a .45 MR-X and the bore is choked. There is no way I can shoot full bore sized bullets (other than ones that have some sort of plastic..ie powerbelts). A year or so ago several people where all having issues with this in the new Accura line (MRX/LRX), just curious if they have addressed this issue. But i will say my MR-X shoots great with fury .402 startips and light blue harvester sabots... but even with those you can feel a noticeable lessening of pressure as you push the bullet down the last 10" or so of the barrel
I have the mrx .45
I shoot parker productions 250 grain and the 300 grain.
Bob bumps the bullet to .456 and then I use my sizer to bring them back to the size I need. And my magic number is around .452
Hope that answers you questions. Feel free to ask if you need help.

Just because Ryan’s gun shoots lights out, doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem with others. If the best the manufacturer can do is 2.5”, something is wrong with that gun
That is true. Also remember the size of the bullet is almost a half in wide itself.
And a muzzleloader.

That would be amazing. Id for sure be a customer. I like the ergonomics and features of the MRX stock but the choke is the real problem with mine. It does shoot accurately though. I was shooting mine the other week and was hitting a steel plate at 150... 2 shots 2 impacts right next to each other (i didnt even have a very good rest... just shooting off a stump with no
Awesome

I have the mrx .45
Bob bumps the bullet to .456 and then I use my sizer to bring them back to the size I need. And my magic number is around .452
When you say Bob "bumps" them to .456, what exactly does that mean? How is he doing this?

When you say Bob "bumps" them to .456, what exactly does that mean? How is he doing this?
Bob Parker Swages his bullets in 2 places to increase ( bump up ) its diameter. It puts 2 grooves in the jacket of the bullet which bulges it out. His bullets all are made .451 I believe, so all his bullets need " bumped up " to be shot as bore riders in the CVA's. I shot 5 diff Parker bullets out of my Paramount.

Bob Parker Swages his bullets in 2 places to increase ( bump up ) its diameter. It puts 2 grooves in the jacket of the bullet which bulges it out. His bullets all are made .451 I believe, so all his bullets need " bumped up " to be shot as bore riders in the CVA's. I shot 5 diff Parker bullets out of my Paramount.
So you just smooth size them down to fit?

This may help for a contact.
CVA, Connect Valley Arms

Dudley McGarity General Manager BPI Outdoors

1270 Progress Center Ave. Suite 100

Lawrenceville, GA 30043

770-449-4687

OUR MISSION​

Our corporate goal is to achieve the #1 market share position in each of the product categories in which our brands compete. BPI utilizes channel and direct sales relationships with virtually all major sporting goods wholesalers, buying groups, specialty retail chains, and mass merchants. This system ensures that consumers can easily find our products nation-wide.

OUR BRANDS​

Our brands include CVA® muzzleloading and center-fire guns and accessories, POWERBELT® muzzleloading bullets and accessories, QUAKE® hunting & shooting accessories, DURASIGHT™ scope mounts, and BERGARA™ barrels, actions and rifles™. BPI is located in Lawrenceville, Georgia.

I have the mrx .45
Yeah I tried with some .455s (I believe, cant remember its been about a year ago). They where pretty tight so I used my Hankins sizer and incrementally sized them down until they would fit into the bore. Everything seemed fine until the last 10" or so... then they just freefall straight down to the breech... definite choke. I posted about it a while back and even sent it back to CVA. They basically just pushed a powerbelt ELR down it and said it pushed down with even pressure (so "everything was fine") and sent it back with a "free' pack of ELRs. So i basically gave up the borerider option for that gun and went with sabots... but ive had really good accuracy with the sabots so I quit messing with it

I bought my Accura V2 Lr with the thumb hole stock right when the LrX came out. I wanted the thumb hole stock and I'm sure glad that I bought it! It's a tack driver at 100yds! I would be highly upset if my groups were 2.5 to 3in!

I also bought a .50 LR-X, and also have a choked barrel. The last 16ish inches of the barrel, a fullbore conical will just drop into the muzzle with next to no pressure. Using the Thor bullets sizing pack t4he muzzle is .502, the biggest bullet in the sizing kit is .503, and it is too loose at the breech. So there is at least a .02 difference from muzzle to breech. My collapsable ramrod also broke. I haven't called about either issue yet....

Latest posts

Back