Accuracy Question for Thompson Center Encore--accuracy falling off at longer range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowler1

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a TC Encore and have had it to the range twice now trying to get it sighted in for ML season. The first session I had terrible accuracy using a Barnes 250 grain bullet and 100 grains by volume of BH209 and mag primers.

I switched today to a Hornady SST 250 grain bullet and 2 pellets of 777 with standard 209 primers. I was getting about 2 inch groups at 100 yards after getting it adjusted (probably about 10 shots. I swabbed between each.

Then I moved to 200 just to see if the holdover points on my Leupold scope were accurate; however, the two shots I took were way off and were about 12 inches apart. I did not have time to shoot anymore and had to leave the range.

My question is why might this be? If I am shooting 2 inch groups at 100 (and I think I should be able to get better than that but 2 inches is good enough for now). Then why at 200 would the gun shoot erratically? Theoretically I should get 4 inchh groups at 200 and therefore be reasonable on target. I realize I have a small sample size here with only two shots but they were so far off that I felt I was wasting my time shooting any longer. It just seems that at some point beyond 100 the bullets must become unstabilized.

But my understanding is that the Hornady SST is a good bullet that flies with good stability, or at least with the 300 grain ones from what I understand. Maybe the shorter 250 grain bullets at not as stable over longer ranges...???

I know I need more range time, but just curious what your thoughts are or if you have experienced similar issues.

FWIW there was a tail wind at the range...probably about 5 mph. Maybe that had an effect?

thanks for your help

Matt

Ultimately I probably need to pick up some 300 grain bullets, but I don't have the time to test them out before the season starts in a few days. Perhaps the rate of twist of the Encore makes it more suitable for heavier vs. lighter bullets for stability over longer ranges? Just guessing here.

Hi,
I bought a TC Encore and have had it to the range twice now trying to get it sighted in for ML season. The first session I had terrible accuracy using a Barnes 250 grain bullet and 100 grains by volume of BH209 and mag primers.
Bump up the charge to 110grs VOLUME of BH209. There's not an Encore made that won't shoot that charge with a 250gr TMZ or T-EZ accurately. I can't count the 200yd groups I've shot with that charge and bullet, that you could cover with your thumb. And, from many different Encore rifles.

If it doesn't shoot that, you're doing something wrong, either rests, form or scope and attachment issues.

Yes, I would like to try that. But probably don't have time before the season. I shot almost a whole box of the Barnes bullets trying to zero since they were all over the place (and the majority of the can of BH209) neither of which is cheap!

What was strange was that most of my error was lateral and not vertical. That is odd to me. I did make sure to re-check and re-tighten the scope mounts before going to the range today. I am quite sure I tightened them to spec when I first got this gun. It came with the scope but I did not trust that the previous owner had torqued the screws to spec.

Yes, I would like to try that. But probably don't have time before the season. I shot almost a whole box of the Barnes bullets trying to zero since they were all over the place (and the majority of the can of BH209) neither of which is cheap!

What was strange was that most of my error was lateral and not vertical. That is odd to me. I did make sure to re-check and re-tighten the scope mounts before going to the range today. I am quite sure I tightened them to spec when I first got this gun. It came with the scope but I did not trust that the previous owner had torqued the screws to spec.
Yup, nothing about shooting now days is cheap. Believe me I know. Every time I touch my trigger I just sent $5.50!

I would suggest that if you're POI changes are horizontal without an equal amount of vertical, then that's most likely your form. Gripping, trigger finger placement change, jerking vs squeezing, butt of the rifle change, type of front and rear rests, even your own heartbeat are all things that can cause horizontal impact changes.

To help save a lot of money, don't chase your scope. Do not make adjustments but shoot at the same point of aim (POA) every single time and let the group fall where it may. Only after you've found the group to your abilities should you make scope adjustments. If you move that scope say 1" (1moa) at 100yds and it doesn't move 1", then there's likely a scope issue of some kind.

Keep your off hand someplace under the rifle butt or in your armpit. Do not hold your rifles forearm. Holding the forearm can also change the POI. No matter how well someone may think they are at holding exact, they can not utilize the same amount of force hold the forearm each time. Won't happen,

Hi,

I switched today to a Hornady SST 250 grain bullet and 2 pellets of 777 with standard 209 primers. I was getting about 2 inch groups at 100 yards after getting it adjusted (probably about 10 shots. I swabbed between each.

Then I moved to 200 just to see if the holdover points on my Leupold scope were accurate; however, the two shots I took were way off and were about 12 inches apart. I did not have time to shoot anymore and had to leave the range.

My question is why might this be? If I am shooting 2 inch groups at 100 (and I think I should be able to get better than that but 2 inches is good enough for now). Then why at 200 would the gun shoot erratically? Theoretically I should get 4 inchh groups at 200 and therefore be reasonable on target. I realize I have a small sample size here with only two shots but they were so far off that I felt I was wasting my time shooting any longer. It just seems that at some point beyond 100 the bullets must become unstabilized.

But my understanding is that the Hornady SST is a good bullet that flies with good stability, or at least with the 300 grain ones from what I understand. Maybe the shorter 250 grain bullets at not as stable over longer ranges...???

I know I need more range time, but just curious what your thoughts are or if you have experienced similar issues.

FWIW there was a tail wind at the range...probably about 5 mph. Maybe that had an effect?

thanks for your help

Matt
I would do a complete Bellm spring and hinge pin job before I spent any more money on loads.its not expensive and it makes a huge difference.if you order one of his kits,spend a few bucks on the pliers

I would do a complete Bellm spring and hinge pin job before I spent any more money on loads.its not expensive and it makes a huge difference.if you order one of his kits,spend a few bucks on the pliers
This is great advice and the first thing I did with my Encore sml conversion. I picked up a brand new Encore frame from a member here for my conversion. When it arrived the hinge pin would fall out when the frame was tipped. A 1x hinge pin from Bellm was installed to fix the problem along with his trigger spring kit.

I would stop swabbing between each shot. You might be affecting something there. I shoot over 20 shots without swabbing or affecting accuracy.

IMO, if I didn't have the time or money to be sure my gun is shooting accurately, I wouldn’t go hunting with it.

If I Might add my Two cents , I own 2 TC Encores & both are Very accurate ! I use Harvester 260 gr PT Golds & at 100 yds shot 8 times put 4 shots practically threw the same hole using 100 grs of T7 ffg loose powder by volume & shoots 2-21/2 Groups out to 200 yds . I would Show you a picture of the target if I knew how to attach it

Latest posts

Back