TC encore 50 range day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey every one,
I've been fighting a TC that I've had for a while and really never had it sorted out.
I'd shot barnes tmz bullets in tHR past and I felt ok about hunting out to 75 yards.
The accuracy just was not where I wanted.
Back ground setup on TC
Bareel has been nitrided.
running variflame breachplug
has a PRB locking pin.
Locally that bullet was not availible
So I ended up at academy buying as many bullet combinations as I could afford.
Most 250gn sabot a 290 gn borebriver and the340gn lrx bore driver.
As for propellant I've always shot 777 pellets. Usually with win209 primmers.

The variflame is a recent addition.
Cecil is a wealth of knowledge.
Gave me good advise and sold me what I needed. No more.
I wish I had some of his bullets or some parkers but time is getting short.
Maybe latter.

So my testing procedure is clean between shots pull breach plug spray plug spray barrel with soappy solutuon. Let site a minute or so.
Push a tight patch from the breach.
Usually takes 3 patches to come out clean.20231001_143723.jpg20231001_143643.jpg
The plug is wiped down and blown out with a can of air.
Gun is supported on a front rest and rear bag20231001_150435.jpg
First up is the hornady 340 lrx bore driver.its a big long bullet.
It didn't do very good in the Encore
Posting a 6 inch vertically stringing group.20230929_114844.jpg
Next up was the hornady 290 gn original bore driver. A much better performer in the encore.
Solid 2 inch group I could have stopped right there and hunter to100 yards and felt pretty good.20231001_141402.jpg

I could have but I just couldn't resist I had more primmers loaded so it has become hornady day at the range better ring it out.so out of the bag I grabbed the 250 sst pack.
My day got alot better with a solid 1-1/4 group man this day is really shapping up.20231001_144739.jpg
I should have packed up and went back up to the house. But ya know a had more primmers so let's try one more.
The last Hornady pack I had was the 250 mono tip.
Luck of the bag I guess or save the best for last....
Maybe I was just getting better at my trigger control and follow thru
Probably not as I have the luxury of a 400 yard range at my house and shoot almost daily. I was seeing pretty good today but it was a good day all around.
Disclaimer the first load was shot last week before going to NC to hunt elk with my camera....that's another post though
So how did it shoot yall are all wondering.....20231001_151134.jpg
Sub minute of angle best I could measure was 7/8 on center. To say I'm a happy camper is an understatement.
The monotips load real easy.
Easiest of all the hornady I tried today.
Note: all the groups represent factory out of the package into the barrel with 100gn 777 pellet load CCI 200 primmers.
All the pellets from the same box all primmers from the same sleeve.
I need to run the load (mono tip)
Over the chrono.
Nest up will be TC shock waves 250gn
Both types.
More to come.
John

Hey every one,
I've been fighting a TC that I've had for a while and really never had it sorted out.
I'd shot barnes tmz bullets in tHR past and I felt ok about hunting out to 75 yards.
The accuracy just was not where I wanted.
Back ground setup on TC
Bareel has been nitrided.
running variflame breachplug
has a PRB locking pin.
Locally that bullet was not availible
So I ended up at academy buying as many bullet combinations as I could afford.
Most 250gn sabot a 290 gn borebriver and the340gn lrx bore driver.
As for propellant I've always shot 777 pellets. Usually with win209 primmers.

The variflame is a recent addition.
Cecil is a wealth of knowledge.
Gave me good advise and sold me what I needed. No more.
I wish I had some of his bullets or some parkers but time is getting short.
Maybe latter.

So my testing procedure is clean between shots pull breach plug spray plug spray barrel with soappy solutuon. Let site a minute or so.
Push a tight patch from the breach.
Usually takes 3 patches to come out clean.View attachment 37825View attachment 37826
The plug is wiped down and blown out with a can of air.
Gun is supported on a front rest and rear bagView attachment 37822
First up is the hornady 340 lrx bore driver.its a big long bullet.
It didn't do very good in the Encore
Posting a 6 inch vertically stringing group.View attachment 37821
Next up was the hornady 290 gn original bore driver. A much better performer in the encore.
Solid 2 inch group I could have stopped right there and hunter to100 yards and felt pretty good.View attachment 37827

I could have but I just couldn't resist I had more primmers loaded so it has become hornady day at the range better ring it out.so out of the bag I grabbed the 250 sst pack.
My day got alot better with a solid 1-1/4 group man this day is really shapping up.View attachment 37834
I should have packed up and went back up to the house. But ya know a had more primmers so let's try one more.
The last Hornady pack I had was the 250 mono tip.
Luck of the bag I guess or save the best for last....
Maybe I was just getting better at my trigger control and follow thru
Probably not as I have the luxury of a 400 yard range at my house and shoot almost daily. I was seeing pretty good today but it was a good day all around.
Disclaimer the first load was shot last week before going to NC to hunt elk with my camera....that's another post though
So how did it shoot yall are all wondering.....View attachment 37823
Sub minute of angle best I could measure was 7/8 on center. To say I'm a happy camper is an understatement.
The monotips load real easy.
Easiest of all the hornady I tried today.
Note: all the groups represent factory out of the package into the barrel with 100gn 777 pellet load CCI 200 primmers.
All the pellets from the same box all primmers from the same sleeve.
I need to run the load (mono tip)
Over the chrono.
Nest up will be TC shock waves 250gn
Both types.
More to come.
John
Awesome Group !!

Nice work.
Thank you Sir.
Was really getting worried deer season is 19 days away.
Had to get it shooting......
Made adjustments to the scope will take a cold bore shot tomorrow to verify.
How does the variflame work ? Uses rifle primers ?
The variflame is a kit I got from Cecil epps at precision rifles in Canada.
Has a new 416 plug and stainless steel adapters. I kept the original plug just in case win 209s come back.
You use a large rifle or large rifle magnum primmer seated in the adapters with a hand prime. Use in place of the 209. The new plug has a bit bigger hole to accept the adapters.
Flash hole looks around .03 ish very well made almost a shame to use it. If a pug could be pretty this one is.....
I got a lot less blowback and a cleaner burn on the encore.
Cleaning between shots is a 2 minute deal now most of that time is taking out the plug and putting it back
I am down to my last 75 win209.
I can find the 777 209 but they haven't been very good out of the encore.
To be fair nothing was until I put the sabots back in today. Academy has stacks of 777 209s and I was able to buy 1000 cci 200 last week. And a couple hundred 777 209
There about the only place in town that has anything on the shelf by me.
I've only tested with 100 grain loads.
Be curious to test a 3 pellet load for 150gn might need those magnum primmers to light those off consistently.

Thank you Sir.
Was really getting worried deer season is 19 days away.
Had to get it shooting......
Made adjustments to the scope will take a cold bore shot tomorrow to verify.

The variflame is a kit I got from Cecil epps at precision rifles in Canada.
Has a new 416 plug and stainless steel adapters. I kept the original plug just in case win 209s come back.
You use a large rifle or large rifle magnum primmer seated in the adapters with a hand prime. Use in place of the 209. The new plug has a bit bigger hole to accept the adapters.
Flash hole looks around .03 ish very well made almost a shame to use it. If a pug could be pretty this one is.....
I got a lot less blowback and a cleaner burn on the encore.
Cleaning between shots is a 2 minute deal now most of that time is taking out the plug and putting it back
I am down to my last 75 win209.
I can find the 777 209 but they haven't been very good out of the encore.
To be fair nothing was until I put the sabots back in today. Academy has stacks of 777 209s and I was able to buy 1000 cci 200 last week. And a couple hundred 777 209
There about the only place in town that has anything on the shelf by me.
I've only tested with 100 grain loads.
Be curious to test a 3 pellet load for 150gn might need those magnum primmers to light those off consistently.
Thank you for spending the time to explain the variflame . Sounds pretty neat , might have to try them out . Thanks again !

Latest posts

Back