Accuracy or Velocity? Wisdom Requested.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I went and grouped tested the 2 bullets I am set on this year. 290 Hornady Bore Driver and the 290 Barnes T-EZ. Shot both with an 80 Volume and 100 Volume charge of BH209. Results were fairly similar as the rifle seems to like the lower load, or I am better at shooting it with less recoil. Either way, groups are below. About an 1/2 - 3/4 difference in groups between loads. I had enough powder to chrono 3 of 4 loads.
Running the numbers, the lower loads only give me about 900 FT LBS of energy at 100 yards. I get 1k FT LBS out to 200 yards and less drop.

My thought is give up 3/4 of an inch and go with the Barnes with the 100 volume load.

Your thoughts? More velocity or a little better accuracy?

EDIT - All powder charges were measured by weight IAW BH 209 spec sheet.

Hornady Bore Driver 290
100 Grains Volume
100 yds 2.03 MOA
Velocity - 1745

Hornady Bore Driver 290
80 Grains Volume
100 yds 1.43 MOA
N/A

Barnes T-EZ 290
100 Grains Volume
100 yds 2.01 MOA
Velocity - 1781 fps

Barnes T-EZ 290
80 Grains Volume
100 yds 1.23 MOA
Velocity - 1595 FPS

Last edited:
I think it comes down to you. Do you feel comfortable taking a 200yrd shot without a bench rest? Are even going to have an opportunity of a 200yrd shot? If either of those are a yes I'd go with the heavier charge. Otherwise I'd keep it light.

I know you had talked about your shoulders. How was the recoil after the day of shooting on the shoulders.

I think it comes down to you. Do you feel comfortable taking a 200yrd shot without a bench rest? Are even going to have an opportunity of a 200yrd shot? If either of those are a yes I'd go with the heavier charge. Otherwise I'd keep it light.

I know you had talked about your shoulders. How was the recoil after the day of shooting on the shoulders.
It wasn't bad. Definitely more pleasurable shooting the lower charge. I shot nine 80 grain loads and nine 100 grain loads. Neck and back were hurting a bit when I got done.

I am keeping myself to 150 as with the higher charge, my point blank zero range gets me to 150 yards in about a 4 inch circle. I would not shoot past 100 with the lower load. I wish I would have gotten the Barnes velocity on the lower load. It seems to be a little faster than the Hornady. I might do that Thursday and crunch the numbers before I get fully sighted in. If it is rolling at mid to high 1600s, that might be a better option.

One thing I would like to do is maybe load 90 and see what I get. I just don't have the bullets or time.

Running the calculator, if I get the same split in velocity and I come in at 1635 with the Barnes, I get 1k ft lbs at 150. I will make that assumption and go with it. Plus, expansion on the Barnes is repeatable and keeps its mass.

I only have 5 of those left, so just enough to zero and have one or two left to hunt with. I ordered a 24 box from Midway. They have been getting items to me pretty quick. Hoping they keep it up.

Thanks. Going with the 80 grain volume with the Barnes. Much appreciated.

What I do:
For real world drop and groups -
Shoot groups at 50, 100,150, and 200 yards on one long/large target using a single point of aim for each load and whatever zero you plan to hunt with. This will show you real world trajectories and groups on paper. With muzzle velocity and actual drop you can run it through jbm ballistics and get a close idea of terminal velocity and point blank window. Then, decide if the additional velocity makes sense based on real world data.

The real world groups at 150 & 200 yards may dissuade you from considering the longer shots. Not knocking longer shots if you and the rifle are up to it….. but you need to get out there and actually shoot it/practice it and not just run numbers in programs and do ballistic masturbation. If you think you’re gonna need to shoot offhand unsupported then practice it so you know “your” effective range.

What I do:
For real world drop and groups -
Shoot groups at 50, 100,150, and 200 yards on one long/large target using a single point of aim for each load and whatever zero you plan to hunt with. This will show you real world trajectories and groups on paper. With muzzle velocity and actual drop you can run it through jbm ballistics and get a close idea of terminal velocity and point blank window. Then, decide if the additional velocity makes sense based on real world data.

The real world groups at 150 & 200 yards may dissuade you from considering the longer shots. Not knocking longer shots if you and the rifle are up to it….. but you need to get out there and actually shoot it/practice it and not just run numbers in programs and do ballistic masturbation. If you think you’re gonna need to shoot offhand unsupported then practice it so you know “your” effective range.
I only have a 100 yard range. I am setting 150 as my maximum based on velocity, ft lbs and maximum point blank range (information for my firearm and velocity was calculated through the Federal Ballistics App). I will not be shooting off hand and would not attempt it. I have neck and shoulder issues, so keeping a gun steady is out of the question. I have a shooting bar on my stand and may be taking in a ground blind and using shooting sticks.

For me this is a no brainer...shot placement it the single most important aspect for hunting so I ALWAYS choose accuracy first. Of course the combination must satisfy all other hunting criteria as well.

Have you tried 90v loads? The work great for me with the Barnes.

For me this is a no brainer...shot placement it the single most important aspect for hunting so I ALWAYS choose accuracy first. Of course the combination must satisfy all other hunting criteria as well.

Have you tried 90v loads? The work great for me with the Barnes.
I have not and that is a middle ground I thought was worth exploring. I am down to 5 bullets, so can't test that until I get my 24 pack in from Midway. Thank you for that suggestion.

I’d always go with the best group.
1.25”@100 is not 2.5”@200 on paper. With same/similar weight bullets, trajectory is the same.
I’d also look RonL bullet test (saved at the top of this in/line section) - especially the reduced load test to simulate longer range. Both your bullets fail to expand. At minimum, I’d remove the plastic tip.
The Barnes MZ is a better choice -imo.
Good luck - glad your testing..

I’d always go with the best group.
1.25”@100 is not 2.5”@200 on paper. With same/similar weight bullets, trajectory is the same.
I’d also look RonL bullet test (saved at the top of this in/line section) - especially the reduced load test to simulate longer range. Both your bullets fail to expand. At minimum, I’d remove the plastic tip.
The Barnes MZ is a better choice -imo.
Good luck - glad your testing..
Thank you for the wisdom. I am definitely going with the Barnes. I have until next Wednesday to sort this out. First day I am hunting. Skipping the weekend on Ft Bragg (now Ft Liberty). Too many folks out vying for a spot. Weekday will be much more quiet.

👍 I think it comes down to you. Do you feel comfortable taking a 200yrd shot without a bench rest? Are even going to have an opportunity of a 200yrd shot? If either of those are a yes I'd go with the heavier charge. Otherwise I'd keep it light.

Latest posts

Back