cva accura lr-x = poor results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gun will shoot.
I have an mrx that shoots like a gem. That doesn't negate the issues at hand or mean the rifle itself is without fault. I've yet to confirm this but if my suspicion is correct, the "premium Bergara barrel" is choked. If that turns out to be the case no amount of shooting will change my mind, that is an atrocious practice to be had and is only for the likes of pellet guns. No bullet or slug will benefit from a choked barrel. It completely derails the smooth obturation and flight path of the bullet, before it can even get going. Even if the rifle is shooting impressive groups, no one on earth could convince me that adding friction to the firing process is aiding in its accuracy. By constricting the bore close to the muzzle and allowing free space down by the breech, you are interfering with simple mechanics of shooting, and will only suffer in the long run. Whether the rifle can squeeze out a few Accurate shots or not is irrelevant. The system would be flawed by design and therefore next to useless. I am interested to hear your point in defending what's clearly not correct.

I have an mrx that shoots like a gem. That doesn't negate the issues at hand or mean the rifle itself is without fault. I've yet to confirm this but if my suspicion is correct, the "premium Bergara barrel" is choked. If that turns out to be the case no amount of shooting will change my mind, that is an atrocious practice to be had and is only for the likes of pellet guns. No bullet or slug will benefit from a choked barrel. It completely derails the smooth obturation and flight path of the bullet, before it can even get going. Even if the rifle is shooting impressive groups, no one on earth could convince me that adding friction to the firing process is aiding in its accuracy. By constricting the bore close to the muzzle and allowing free space down by the breech, you are interfering with simple mechanics of shooting, and will only suffer in the long run. Whether the rifle can squeeze out a few Accurate shots or not is irrelevant. The system would be flawed by design and therefore next to useless. I am interested to hear your point in defending what's clearly not correct.
You describe my 50 cal. MRX to the tee the first six or seven inches on the muzzle end are tight and then the bullet drops I gave up shooting bullet to bore and found a good bullet/sabot combination.

Bench guns at Friendship have slight choke at end of barrel, the amount is what is off. Green Mountains were that way for years

am i cynical to think that the cva guns at friendship and other contest have bergara barrels have a much higher level of quality control checks than the premium bergara barrels being shipped to regular folks ?

Hmm.. I have an MR-X that shoots about 1.5" at 100Y with 70 gr of 209 and a 295 gr Powerbelt.

A more skilled shooter could shave .5" off that, I think.

It shoots about exactly the same as my T/C Pro Hunter FX. I can't decide which I like better. The T/C is lighter, but the breech plug is a tiny bit harder to remove usually.

that depends on the amount of choke

Latest posts

Back