Fliers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Evolution is an in-line bolt action. The barrel appears to be the same as the Vortek, but ported differently.

Chick said:
The Evolution is an in-line bolt action. The barrel appears to be the same as the Vortek, but ported differently.

Porting in a muzzleloader is a problem, if not done right. Some of the Gonic's were ported also, and the porting cuts into the sabots. Check out some of your sabots, I think you will find cuts or chunks missing from them. The porting in these older rifles was not done right IMO. Porting can work, but it needs to be done like Ultimate does it.

I also agree, lose the bore butter. If you want to use 777 powder, you have to swab between every shot for accuracy. The crud ring is also a big problem.

How is your trigger on that rifle, most are very heavy?

777 pellets are not very consistant IME, loose powder is so much better IMO.

Sorry if you think I am busting your chops, but I think you have a lot of variables working against you.

No, I don'tthink you are busting my chops. hahaha. Yes, the trigger is heavy, and my main gripe on this rifle. It takes a lot of concentration to get a good shot off, when you are use to a really good trigger. All my bolt guns are set to 3.5 lbs, while my military competition rifles all have 2 stage rifles with an NRA legal 4.5 lbs. My son's Olympic grade rifles have a whisper of a trigger. While my old smallbore had 1 lb, so, yes, the heavy trigger is a pain. The sabots I have picked up, don't show any signs of being effected by the ports, but I was not specifically looking for that. From what I can see, the ports are done fine. I really think the pellets are the answer. This rifle is about 3 years old. I will be sure to watch for any signs on the sabots though.
Thanks!

Talked to a man who does ballistic work for the BH209. We talked about a numerous things, but, he told me that when I seat the sabot, if I apply too much pressure, and break the pellet, that is will greatly increase the pressure and cause fliers. I think this is what has been plagueing me!

Talked to a man who does ballistic work for the BH209. We talked about a numerous things, but, he told me that when I seat the sabot, if I apply too much pressure, and break the pellet, that is will greatly increase the pressure and cause fliers. I think this is what has been plagueing me!

Thats why I stopped using em.My sabots are tight fitting,so I had to keep the pressure on to load em...kinda hard to keep from chipping the pellets.
A few times I would load as normal,and then take out the breach plug to verify what I was thinking....and yep the pellets were chipped.
As soon as I went to powder my groups shrank,and the flyer's were less common.Now I know the flyer's are most likely me,and not my rifle.

Another thing is the way the pellets are packaged....not very air tight.

Enjoy your Traditions.I know I enjoy mine.

Cell

I will say this, I did try to shoot without any lube in the bore (with 777 pellets), and my bullets were all over the paper. Drove me crazy.

Back