Does anyone have a good sabot setup for the CVA Accura?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
I’ve been shooting my new MR-X and have been having a challenging time getting good groups with both the T/C cheap shots and Hornady XTP bullets in the included green sabot. They fit super tight in the bore and produce about a 4 inch group at 100.

Today I decided to try some power belts and WOW my 100 yard group shrunk from 4 inches to one inch and with no fliers.

Obviously the gun likes these bullets but I would like to have a less expensive load that works well with the gun. Should I try some harvester sabots with those XTP bullets? Any other recommendations? Are there any other conicals out there that are under $1 per shot?

Anyone have an Accura that likes sabots? If so what’s your setup?

Those XTP w a green sabot a .429 bullet?

If so maybe get some .452 bullets and appropriate Crushed Rib sabot. The sabot may not be releasing easily since the petals are thicker on the bullet made for the smaller diameter bullet.

No personal experience but seems I read/hear a bit about this.

Tagged for further replies/advice.

I don't know about the Accura but the Optima I just tested shot best with Hornady 240 grain XTP with the green sabots (right out of the box) with (2) 50 grain 777 pellets. I tried the black sabots and the accuracy was not there. I also not there with 777 pellets and 295 grain PowerBelt hollow points nor with 80 grains of 777 loose powder.

My 100 yard groups with the Hornady 240 grain with green sabots was 1.1" at 100 yards burning Hodgen 777 pellets. The Hornady 240's were a little tight going down the barrel but plenty doable.

Last edited:
I don't know about the Accura but the Optima I just tested shot best with Hornady 240 grain XTP with the green sabots (right out of the box) with (2) 50 grain 777 pellets. I tried the black sabots and the accuracy was not there. I also not there with 777 pellets and 295 grain PowerBelt hollow points nor with 80 grains of 777 loose powder.

My 100 yard groups with the Hornady 240 grain with green sabots was 1.1" at 100 yards burning Hodgen 777 pellets. The Hornady 240's were a little tight going down the barrel but plenty doable.
Did you use the black sabot with a .452 bullet or the bullets from the green sabot?

Funny how we have almost 180 degree experiences from the same manufacturer.

I’m going to try to step up the powder charge with those Hornady sabots, I was only shooting 80 grains of loose 777.

I keep hearing good things about Blackhorn Powder. The problem is finding it. And from what little I have seen available, one would have to sell a kidney to pay for it.

When I shot a CVA Accura, I was shooting 1 inch groups at 100yrds simply using 3 50gr 777 pellets and a 270gr Platinum Powerbelt. I had experimented with many other combinations, and in this case the simplest solution was the best, which is rare. Personally, I stay away from Blackhorn simply because I find it greasy. Most guys love it, but I do not.

Try the appropriately sized Harvester Crush Rib sabots. That’s all I’ve ever shot in my Accura MR V2 and they group great with the 240 or 300 grains XTP’s.

Try the appropriately sized Harvester Crush Rib sabots. That’s all I’ve ever shot in my Accura MR V2 and they group great with the 240 or 300 grains XTP’s.

How much powder did you use and what type?

I was shooting 80 grains of triple 7 with the sabots and getting mediocre results, my really good groups came from 100 grains of whitehot and Powerbelts. After reading everyone input I'm seeing most got good results with a hotter load than I have been testing with. I'm starting to wonder if I should try 100 or more grains behind the sabots. Maybe I was just shooting the gun with to weak a load.

I have found with several Accura 50 cals that the green MMP sabot w .429 Hornady 265g FTX and the orange MMP sabot with .458 Hornady 325 g FTX shot exceptionally well. Not a bank breaker either.
I stopped using XTP on game due to a large amount of meat damage.
They make a big hole!
They can be accurate though and I use them to sight in.

Last edited:
I'm shooting 80grn blackhorn by volume with the 240 xtp and the black sabot. Accura V2 Lr. It's a tack driver at 100yds!

My Accura barrel is pretty tight as well. I tried the Barnes Expanders MZ with included sabot and felt I needed a hammer to load them. Picked up some HPH-24 sabots and they are just right. I think the HPH-12 is about .002" larger when a .452" bullet is in it than the HPH-24. I don't shoot 44 cal bullets so can't comment about sabots for them.

Chundoo is correct.
From MMP website:

The big difference between Black HPH/12 and HPH/24 is that the HPH/24 is .002” smaller in loaded diameter (the diameter of sabot with a bullet inserted).
With a .452 diameter bullet the HPH/12 is .507-.508” diameter, the HPH/24 is .505”-.506” diameter.
If you have a tight loading rifle you may want to choose the HPH24 or if you have a very tight rifle, consider our 3Petal-EZ.

Chundoo is correct.
From MMP website:

The big difference between Black HPH/12 and HPH/24 is that the HPH/24 is .002” smaller in loaded diameter (the diameter of sabot with a bullet inserted).
With a .452 diameter bullet the HPH/12 is .507-.508” diameter, the HPH/24 is .505”-.506” diameter.
If you have a tight loading rifle you may want to choose the HPH24 or if you have a very tight rifle, consider our 3Petal-EZ.
Tagged.

For what it's worth, I noticed better accuracy when using loose powder over pellets, but it can take some experimenting to find the right amount of powder. I noticed less is better most of the time.

For what it's worth, I noticed better accuracy when using loose powder over pellets, but it can take some experimenting to find the right amount of powder. I noticed less is better most of the time.

It was close for the rifle I tested last week but the pellets did provide a little better group. I reckon that considering I was not using a lead sled or any other mechanical device that holds a rifle, part of that could have been shooter error. Either way it was close between the two.

Back