Does anyone have a good sabot setup for the CVA Accura?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been shooting my new MR-X and have been having a challenging time getting good groups with both the T/C cheap shots and Hornady XTP bullets in the included green sabot. They fit super tight in the bore and produce about a 4 inch group at 100.

Today I decided to try some power belts and WOW my 100 yard group shrunk from 4 inches to one inch and with no fliers.

Obviously the gun likes these bullets but I would like to have a less expensive load that works well with the gun. Should I try some harvester sabots with those XTP bullets? Any other recommendations? Are there any other conicals out there that are under $1 per shot?

Anyone have an Accura that likes sabots? If so what’s your setup?
I am using precision rifles dead center 195 grain .357 sabots with 110 grains Triple 7 fffg. They shoot well and soft lead delivers the shock to Whitetails.

I am using precision rifles dead center 195 grain .357 sabots with 110 grains Triple 7 fffg. They shoot well and soft lead delivers the shock to Whitetails.
My 45 cal tightened up its groups after stepping up the powder to 110grs of T7 from 90, 100.
Dead Center 220s and 240s….my theory is that the bullet obturation gods found favor with 110grs to grab the rifling…

300 gr .452" XTPs with Harvester black crush rib sabot or 300 gr .430" XTPs with Harvester green crush rib sabot and between 80-100 gr of Goex FFg or Pyrodex RS. My Accura shoots either of these bullets excellent. I use 80 gr of Alliant Black MZ (discontinued) but I heard that Shockey Select is the same stuff. I could be wrong but that's what I heard.

Attachments

• Accura V2.jpg
    Accura V2.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 1
For my Optima V2, Blackhorn 209 (90 grains), Hornady FTX (200 or 250 gr) with MMP .451/.452 sabots.
I'm about 1.5" high at 50 yrds, groups are tight, good enough for deer in TN thick woods (12-17-22).

Attachments

• Muzzleloader Hornady FTX load.jpg
    Muzzleloader Hornady FTX load.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 1
  • MMP 452 sabots.jpg
    MMP 452 sabots.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Muzzleloader Test-zero shots.jpg
    Muzzleloader Test-zero shots.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Deer harvest 12-17-22.jpg
    Deer harvest 12-17-22.jpg
    751 KB · Views: 0
Pushing super tight bullet/sabots down a bore is probably deforming the front of the bullet. Before you change everything up, take a little dab of a bullet lube and rub on the sabot and see if it slides down easier. Worth a try!

Is this a new rifle? If so, polishing the bore could help with making that combo your using slide down easier as well

I’ve been shooting my new MR-X and have been having a challenging time getting good groups with both the T/C cheap shots and Hornady XTP bullets in the included green sabot. They fit super tight in the bore and produce about a 4 inch group at 100.

Today I decided to try some power belts and WOW my 100 yard group shrunk from 4 inches to one inch and with no fliers.

Obviously the gun likes these bullets but I would like to have a less expensive load that works well with the gun. Should I try some harvester sabots with those XTP bullets? Any other recommendations? Are there any other conicals out there that are under $1 per shot?

Just a suggestion, my accura likes the 300 grain scorpion PT Golds. I buy them in 50 round bulk and use their short black smooth sabots also in bulk. Each bore is different. I have tried the crush ribs and am afraid they are too loose in my gun but yours may like them. These are all Harvester products and they have other weights of bullets as well.

The best I have gotten with my Accura LRX is 2.25 inch groups using a variety of bullets and BH209 charges. I am going with Thor 300 for the remainder of deer season here in Midwest but will likely be buying a Knight for next year's western hunt for better groups at extended ranges and a heavier bullet for elk.

I have been disappointed with the CVA. First the picatinny rail snapped from the recoil then I discovered the barrel is not a consistent width from breech to muzzle (it is wider at breech end and gets tighter at the muzzle). I had the barrel lapped which has helped some. It never should have left the factory.

The best I have gotten with my Accura LRX is 2.25 inch groups using a variety of bullets and BH209 charges. I am going with Thor 300 for the remainder of deer season here in Midwest but will likely be buying a Knight for next year's western hunt for better groups at extended ranges and a heavier bullet for elk.

I have been disappointed with the CVA. First the picatinny rail snapped from the recoil then I discovered the barrel is not a consistent width from breech to muzzle (it is wider at breech end and gets tighter at the muzzle). I had the barrel lapped which has helped some. It never should have left the factory.

Is your LRX a .45 model? My .50 has a seemingly consistent / well finished bore.

As a whole I'm pretty disenchanted with the firearms industry, it seems like aside from a semi custom or full custom rifle there is no guarantee of quality from anyone. I was just at the store handling some hunting rifles and shotguns from various manufacturers I would consider mid tier ($600-800). All of them felt cheap and gritty and only a handful had laminated wood stocks (no solid wood to be found). Most had light weight hollow plastic stocks. When you go online you see countless accounts of quality issues from almost every maker.

If you want to go full "tactical" everything you can think or ever want to play commando is available. It's obvious this segment is the main focus of the firearms industry... Meanwhile if you want a sporting firearm to create a lifetime of meaningful memories and then one day pass it on to your kids...The ammo is unavailable or ridiculously expensive, and reasonably priced high quality options are few and far between.

When ever I go to a major retailer I see people buying with volume in mind NOT quality. It's all about filling the safe with trinkets so one feels better about them selves, not selecting a high quality tool for an actual job.

I think this speak volumes about our society.

Rant over!

Is your LRX a .45 model? My .50 has a seemingly consistent / well finished bore.

As a whole I'm pretty disenchanted with the firearms industry, it seems like aside from a semi custom or full custom rifle there is no guarantee of quality from anyone. I was just at the store handling some hunting rifles and shotguns from various manufacturers I would consider mid tier ($600-800). All of them felt cheap and gritty and only a handful had laminated wood stocks (no solid wood to be found). Most had light weight hollow plastic stocks. When you go online you see countless accounts of quality issues from almost every maker.

If you want to go full "tactical" everything you can think or ever want to play commando is available. It's obvious this segment is the main focus of the firearms industry... Meanwhile if you want a sporting firearm to create a lifetime of meaningful memories and then one day pass it on to your kids...The ammo is unavailable or ridiculously expensive, and reasonably priced high quality options are few and far between.

When ever I go to a major retailer I see people buying with volume in mind NOT quality. It's all about filling the safe with trinkets so one feels better about them selves, not selecting a high quality tool for an actual job.

I think this speak volumes about our society.

Rant over!
yep it is a .50 that I bought in 2022. Perhaps .45s are less trouble and more accurate, I do not know, but I wanted this legal for all species in all states. For large volume manufacturers, I agree that the quality is not there that used to exist in the firearms industry. The long saga of Remington is the perfect example. However, I and friends have semi custom and custom long distance centerfire guns that shoot better than we are capable of. I have looked into a custom ml, but I just am not going to spend the dollars required for that route.

Last edited:

Mine likes sabots. It does shoot Barnes bullets well but they are not cheap. I use Harvester sabots and the300 grain PT Golds bought in bulk from Harvester. There are so many bullet options. Harvester has crushed ribs for easier loading.. the sabot I am loading now is their short smooth black sabot because I want a snug fit.

shooting the T/C / SST shockwave with the blue harvester sabot in my MR-x 45 with 80 grns of shooters world loose powder. 3/4 inch groups at 100 and slapping 8 inch ceramic tiles at 250 yards all day long and no crud ring with this powder. t7 is about 70 fps faster but the crud ring comes back with the cheddite primers. Have no issues with the shooters world loose powder and Scheels here has it really reasonable so I bought 5 pounds .

shooting the T/C / SST shockwave with the blue harvester sabot in my MR-x 45 with 80 grns of shooters world loose powder. 3/4 inch groups at 100 and slapping 8 inch ceramic tiles at 250 yards all day long and no crud ring with this powder. t7 is about 70 fps faster but the crud ring comes back with the cheddite primers. Have no issues with the shooters world loose powder and Scheels here has it really reasonable so I bought 5 pounds .
What powder exactly are you using in your MR X45…I looked at Shooters World powders and did not see a powder that would be used in the quantity 80gr charge you mentioned…..what would I be looking for as a black powders substitute?

Last edited:
What powder exactly are you using in your MR X45…I looked at Shooters World powders and did not see a powder that would be used in the quantity you mentioned…..what would I be looking for as a black powders substitute?
All I see from them is smokeless…. I hope he’s not talking about shooting smokeless

All I see from them is smokeless…. I hope he’s not talking about shooting smokeless
Made me do a whip around double take….”an affordable BH209 substitute“…. I’m waiting to see what it is.

Shooters world multi purpose black powder substitute. “ Google”
Wow it does exist…4CC21122-4495-4369-97BD-B476860F2D4D.jpeg
I’m still checking it out …on line.
I’d like to hear from people that have tried it.

I haven't read all the replies but when I had an inline it liked xtp magnums with the black sabot better than anything

This is the powder I was referring to. Our Scheels in Nebraska carries it very reasonable and it does not leave a crud ring like the Triple 7. It runs about 5 bucks less per pound than Triple 7 and 60 bucks less than BH209. It is on average about 70 fps slower than Triple 7 but works great,

Latest posts

Back