Win Triple-7 209 Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Anyone use Win Triple-7 209ML primers, and if so, have you found any inconsistencies with them?
I'm getting a flier every three shot group that I shoot. My charges are weighed, my bullets are weighed, trying to keep everything consistent. The only thing I do not have control over is the primer. Its very frustrating. I'm going to try another primer to see if it helps out.

TC Omega 50 cal
64.5 gr T7 powder (weighed)
.429 310 gr Cast Bullet w/Hornady Sabot (green)
Win T7 209ML Primer

Last edited:
I have a box of them. They seem to work fine for me, just Not with Blackhorn 209.
They are good for real black powder or subs like Triple 7 and Pyrodex.

Seems like when I see that in my own shooting it is most often barrel inconsistency - fouling or temperature. At least that’s what I attribute it to. What is that - about 75 grV? How old are those primers?

Seems like when I see that in my own shooting it is most often barrel inconsistency - fouling or temperature. At least that’s what I attribute it to. What is that - about 75 grV? How old are those primers?
It works out to about 87 grs Vol. Brand new primers. Swabbed between each shot. Barrel temp might be to blame. Will give more time to cool for each shot next time out.

It works out to about 87 grs Vol. Brand new primers. Swabbed between each shot. Barrel temp might be to blame. Will give more time to cool for each shot next time out.
Could the bullets be slipping in the sabots? Maybe knurl a couple lightly and try that if the temp issue isn’t to blame?

OaCould I only the bullets be slipping in the sabots? Maybe knurl a couple lightly and try that if the temp issue isn’t to blame?
ElDiablo, this has me thinking!! I’m shooting the Hornady Low Drag Sabot which came with .430 XTP bullets. I sized my cast bullets to .429, as they drop between .430 and .431. I’m wondering if you are spot on here? I will cast a handful and not size them so the sabot has a better grip on them. Could roll them between two files as well. A close up of the bullet.

Attachments

• 6A46FC7F-8BE1-4C34-BC21-724B8D2DA157.jpeg
    6A46FC7F-8BE1-4C34-BC21-724B8D2DA157.jpeg
    929.8 KB · Views: 0
those are the new ones . just got 4 packs of them last week from bass pro in bristol va.

You might want to weigh your bullets just to check for weight discrepancy. If you have a significantly lighter or heavier bullet it would be an indication of voids inside the casting that can throw the bullet out of balance thereby causing erratic groups.
Smoke

You might want to weigh your bullets just to check for weight discrepancy. If you have a significantly lighter or heavier bullet it would be an indication of voids inside the casting that can throw the bullet out of balance thereby causing erratic groups.
Smoke
Yes I weighed my bullets and all are very close. But I did figure it out today boys!

Ok, I tried my cast bullets again today, but I did not run them thru the sizing die, leaving them between .430-.431. I shot two fouling shots, then a 3 shot group. Same results as with sized bullets. I then shot another group just to make sure, and again, same results with no consistency. Then I thought, I’m gonna try what ElDiablo had suggested, and that is knurling them a bit, cause they might be slipping in the sabot. BINGO! Shot two 3 shot groups with all touching each other! Hallelujah!!!

Looking at my bullets which are from the LEE 430 310 gr mold, the only bearing surfaces that contact the sabot are the two bands. I knurled them by rolling them down a file with my palm. It WORKS!!!!

A big thank you to ElDiablo for the suggestion! Thank you my friend!

Attachments

• C6582EF5-8412-4A79-B8B2-30AE8B132F78.jpeg
    C6582EF5-8412-4A79-B8B2-30AE8B132F78.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back