My cast bullets may be a good option

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took my Mountaineer up the camp this weekend and shot my cast bullets. Bullets I shot were the 340 gr .451" I-bullet and the Accurate 44-390P Paper Patch bullet. The I-bullet didn't shoot too bad but the paper patched ones really did. First group fired with them produced a 1.5" group at 100 yards with 80 gr of Triple 7. Boosting up the charge to 100 grs really tightened up the group to under an inch. I wish I would have weighed some 110 gr charges to try but I didn't . I shot another group with the same 100 gr charge and had almost identical results. (see targets)
I'm going to have to do some testing with my scope because the adjustment do not seem to match up. 2 clicks move me over an inch (1/4" MOA clicks). I'm going to shoot a ladder test and box test to see how it tracks. Its a Viridian Lyxa 4-16X.
Another issue I had (1st time ever) was that when I was done shooting I didn't want to wait until I got home to clean the rifle so I decided to clean it right there. I removed the bolt and put the socket on the breech plug and it was stuck fast! I could not budge it. I had anti-sieze on it I know I did. The only thing I could thing of was after the first shot I got a patch stuck down by the BP probably from the crud ring from the T7 and had to remove the plug to push it all the way through. There was still plenty of anti-sieze on the plug so I just reinstalled it. So I ended up just scrubbing the bore good and when I got home I removed the action from the stock and put it in my padded vise and got the half inch drive socket wrench and a 1/2 - 3/8 reducer with the 7/16" socket and got it out without too much trouble.
Knight cast 1.jpgKnighht cast 2.jpg

After the above episode getting my patch stuck i learned how to swab the bore. I use short strokes all the way down until I feel it contacting the crud ring then back and forth a little at a time. Its still tight until the ring is removed but at least it doesnt get stuck.

After the above episode getting my patch stuck i learned how to swab the bore. I use short strokes all the way down until I feel it contacting the crud ring then back and forth a little at a time. Its still tight until the ring is removed but at least it doesnt get stuck.
Yes, you only do that once (or twice) and then you learn to short stroke it…

Latest posts

Back