Ballistics trajectory and other geometry

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got some bullets and sabots to sight in a brand new Accura MRX. I rarely get shots beyond 80 yards, so I’d prefer to sight in at 50. Actually, if the range allowed it, I’d set a target up at 75 yards. The ballistic charts on the Barnes 250s show sighting in at 150. If I sight in at 50 yards, is there a table showing me poi at 100? I will lob a couple at 100 yards, but I was wondering if any charts show ballistics if zeroed at 50. I know it all depends on the charge, barrel length etc…. Just looking for a chart with 50 yard zero

Shooting Barnes TEZ 250 s. Will start with 90 GR by volume but will measure weight to be consistent.

Thanks
Man, this got confusing. If it was me, I would pick one way to do my powder, either weight or volume. For what you wanting to do, under 100yds, it ain't gonna matter. I would start at 80grV/63grW of BH209 and work up (80grV/63grV of BH209 with a Barnes TEZ 250gr should be a killer load >/=100yd load) sight in at 50yds about 1inch high or whatever you decide. Then shoot at other the ranges you want to see where it hitting at for whatever zero you decide on. Those ballastics charts are great. I like them, too, buttttt, it actually doesn't take the place of shooting loads and verifying where you are actually hitting. But that just me.
I think, a member here was using 60grV of BH209 with Barnes TEZ 250gr as a youth load.

George, I’m not trying to be a dick.

In response to this:
IMG_3880.jpeg

I said it doesn’t make sense. You proceed to call me dumb (multiple times at this point). I’m just asking how a bullet can have a higher POI at 50 yds as well as 100 yards compared to its POI at 75 yards.

The ballistics chart you posted shows a normal trajectory where it is zeroed at 75 yards, with it being a higher POI at 50 and a lower POI at 100.

Ballistics for Dummies didn’t cover this situation where you are saying a bullet can somehow have two peaks, so I ask you to explain it for us. Please.

And yes, this thread has gotten way off track. I did not intend it and apologize for my part, but just asking Encore to explain his statement.

I just got some bullets and sabots to sight in a brand new Accura MRX. I rarely get shots beyond 80 yards, so I’d prefer to sight in at 50. Actually, if the range allowed it, I’d set a target up at 75 yards. The ballistic charts on the Barnes 250s show sighting in at 150. If I sight in at 50 yards, is there a table showing me poi at 100? I will lob a couple at 100 yards, but I was wondering if any charts show ballistics if zeroed at 50. I know it all depends on the charge, barrel length etc…. Just looking for a chart with 50 yard zero

Shooting Barnes TEZ 250 s. Will start with 90 GR by volume but will measure weight to be consistent.

Thanks
Check this out, Ode
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/250g-t-ez-80g-powder.27085/

I rarely get shots beyond 80 yards, so I’d prefer to sight in at 50. .......... If I sight in at 50 yards, is there a table showing me poi at 100? …. Just looking for a chart with 50 yard zero..........
Who's calling anyone dumb??????? Please show me where..............

Here's a "chart" for a 50yd zero. Yes, this is normal trajectory for someone who zeros their rifle at 50yds. 75yds won't be lower than 50yds because the bullet is still rising.

1711833475202.png

Here's a "chart" for a 50yd zero. Yes, this is normal trajectory for someone who zeros their rifle at 50yds. 75yds won'ti be lower than 50yds because the bullet is still rising.

View attachment 43050

Christ, I feel like I’m arguing with my wife, which we all know there is no winning. 😂 No, you didn’t directly call me dumb, just told me to read Ballistics for Dummies, and then turn around and completely agree with what I’ve been saying.

@Ode1891 to recap - if you indeed zero at 50 yards, you’ll only be an inch or two low at 100. Obviously shoot to be sure.

Seriously, I hate being “that guy” that argues in forums. Apologies to all that had to read along.

I have to go now. My actual wife is yelling at me that I’ve been ignoring her and on my phone too much. 🤣 I’ll go back to just reading and lurking.

Christ, I feel like I’m arguing with my wife, which we all know there is no winning. 😂 No, you didn’t directly call me dumb, just told me to read Ballistics for Dummies, and then turn around and completely agree with what I’ve been saying.

@Ode1891 to recap - if you indeed zero at 50 yards, you’ll only be an inch or two low at 100. Obviously shoot to be sure.

Seriously, I hate being “that guy” that argues in forums. Apologies to all that had to read along.

I have to go now. My actual wife is yelling at me that I’ve been ignoring her and on my phone too much. 🤣 I’ll go back to just reading and lurking.
Who's arguing?
It doesn't take a genius to know that the bullet is not acting like a roller coaster between 50yds and 100yds.
A 75yd zero won't be lower than 50yds because the bullet is still rising.
The OP has his 50yd chart.

Here's a "chart" for a 50yd zero. Yes, this is normal trajectory for someone who zeros their rifle at 50yds. 75yds won't be lower than 50yds because the bullet is still rising.

View attachment 43050
Thanks! Where’d you find this ballistics chart? I assume you input the data yourself? I used my sons chrono for compound bows and crossbows but I never bothered with it since my shots were rarely beyond 100 yards

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! Dope changes, haven’t heard that expression since my 13 week stay on Parris Island! 😂🎯

maybe 10? Years ago I remember it got harder to find particular weight/type bullets close to the season and back then I had stopped using power belts but was still playing around with pellets. Buying magnum bullets , all I could find, I used to sight in about 1.5” high at 50 and hope I’d be good at the rare beyond 100 yard shot.

Now that I have 48 Barnes tez 250s I’ll be good to go. Just need to pick up another bottle of BHorn powder. When I go to the range, I’ll get it zeroed in an inch high at 50, and get my groups on paper at 25 and at 100. That’ll be an advil kind of morning 😎

Because the bullet is still rising.

IMG_3876.jpeg

Don’t see how it could be higher at 50 & 100 than at 75.

Exactly!

Last edited:

Thanks
Look into bullet drop websites
They have it. Blackbhorn. Also has one for there powder

Thanks for the volume of help! Somewhere searching the net, I left a message at Barnes bullets, here’s their response to my questions. Great company to deal with! I’ll do my zero at 50, then shoot at 25 and lob a few down to 100. I know it’s silly, for my distances, but I plan to use a scale and weigh my loads from now on. I’ll order a bunch of volume powder tubes. Next , I may settle on a bullet and sabot comb9 in the 180-200 GR range to try in the off season.

———————————————-

I used https://shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php to come up with a simple drop chart

Using the load data on the Hodgdon website 100 gr by volume for a 250 gr Barnes bullet puts your MV at 1924 fps. BC of .195 and 250 gr weight. I used 1.5” scope height (super common for 1” scope…..1.7” if you’re running a 30mm scope).

50 yd zero

100 yds = 1.4” drop

150 yds = 6.35” drop

Thank You
Alan Griffith
| Consumer Service
Barnes Bullets

Back