BH 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for folks that use 777 and/or get crud rings ...... does the ".... fiberglass reinforced base with fouling cutting ring .... " eliminate the need for swabbing pretty much all together ? or does it just keep it down enough for several shots ? i understand a full cleaning after shooting is necessary ..... but at the range shooting a dozen or more shots does it do what it claims ? yes yes yes yes yes ...... bh209 doesn't make a crud ring .... but for cheap bass turds like me that use cheaper powder or pellets is the bor lock truly the answer for eliminating the need for swabbing ?

View attachment 22801

im a big believer that a good feeling about a tool or item adds confidence that can have positive effects on the outcome of the project and adds enjoyment .
So shoot $2+ bullets to save money on powder?

Makes no sense to me for the minimal gain in velocity.
Makes no sense to me.
I’ve seen plenty of barrels ruined by Pyrodex⛔⚠️

i've seen plenty of barrels ruined by failure to clean the rifle. Every year beginning at about Labor Day i received a couple dozen rifles to ready for deer season. Yep, they had not been cleaned after the last deer season.

Finally stopped messing with trashed rifles. Told hunters to clean their own guns.

Recently sighted in my TC Black Diamond rifle with 100 grains of Triple Seven and the 250 grain SST bullet in the crush rib sabot. The rifle uses #11 caps, there is no crud ring.

I've shot them all over time, right now I personally use Pyrodex in my Knight Plunger rifles (MK's w/ #11cap) - BH209 is not recommended for plunger guns. I use BH209 in my Knight bolt models and in my Omegas.

The biggest thing I like... I can shoot a range session 15-20 shots typically with one rifle, and never have to swab. Cleaning is cleaning with any rifle, and while yes BH209 is less corrosive than some others, I'm not worried about that aspect ever because I clean my guns after I shoot regardless.

The other advantage of BH209 is less smoke. While on a range its no big deal. But in the field, sometimes w traditional subs or BP, the smoke is heavy and lingers alot. Possibly hindering your ability to see your game after the shot. BH209 has alot less smoke.

Most folks deal with a crud ring of some sort with T7, some more some less. 209 primers tend to create a heavier crud ring than #11 caps. Most you can easily get a follow up shot in the field quickly if need be, with any powder. I rarely have to take a quick follow up shot in a hurry. Only a few times in 40yrs of hunting. If I need it I do it. If I don't (using T7 or Pyro) I'll spit swab the bore before reloading. Takes a little longer but I'm not in a hurry.

I WAS completely happy with bh209 for quite a while, but lately im feeling like a drug addict, ‘where am i gonna score my next jug?’ I loved being able to see where the deer ran, not having to clean the crud to keep my bullets loading easily, not worrying about pitting if i get a little lazy after some shooting… Now tho, i have a tiny concern that i may get a miss fire in the really cold weather, if i didnt get the breech plug cleaned or the shim or o-ring fell out and i didnt notice it. a dozen things could happen regardless of what powder youre using. I hate the price and availability of bh209 now. Theres no perfect powder. Im getting into smokeless now, so the hunt continues. ( wonder if i could add a tiny bit of real black to some smokeless powder so it smokes enough to fool the game warden?)

The primary reason I like BH is I can load my rifle and if I don’t shoot I can leave the load in place for the season if need be. I wouldn’t do that with anything else.

i don't use BH powder. i sometimes leave my muzzleloaders loaded for up to a year. They always fire. Couple weeks ago i killed a coyote with a .54 caliber Navy Arms rifle that was loaded early this year. No hesitation, just a bang flop.

Say you hunt a couple days with high humidity or even light rain but you are in a nice enclosed blind. So there was no direct rain contamination. BH209 wont change, all other subs will even with a unfouled bore.. I sure would not want to leave any other sub load in my rifle after a unsuccessful hunt like that. Ive done it a couple times with BH209 then unloaded it at a target month/s later......The BH209 load still shot to the same POA. Still had instant ignition.

Darn, GM I leave mine loaded with T7 and a not so good sealing lead conical all season. The only time I might unload it is if I have a concern about moisture is the bore through my own fault. In late November and the month of December I hunt in all kinds of weather conditions - mostly wet and very cold conditions.

I do take care in protecting the breech and bore from moisture. Since I have to use cap ignition, I choose to use a #11 style cap fitted to a #11 nipple that the cap will seal on. And of course, protect the muzzle from moisture with a muzzle mitt of some type.

The rifle is usually loaded the whole time. If it is shot it is reloaded and the whole process is repeated.

So the rest of these things most would say are incorrect, but they work for me. After the days hunt the rifle and I come back to a very cold pickup. The cap is peeled off the nipple post and most often the muzzle boot is removed. The rifle is placed in the front seat and the bolt is open. The rifle warms slowly as does the cab. The cab never really gets real warm as I am in winter hunting clothing. If I stop at another hunting spot the process of water proofing starts again. When I go from the cool warm cab to the freezing outside temp, I do not experience any condensation on the rifle or the lens of the scope IF I am hunting during regular rifle season. At the end of the day, back in the truck for the ride home. Once at home the rifle comes in the house and stands vertically in the work area bolt open muzzle clear. Remember the rifle warmed slowly on the ride home so bring it into the warmer house has no real ill-effects.

The next day the whole process gets repeated over and over through the months.

The one thing I will never do is bring a freezing cold rifle into the warm house or atmosphere. If you wear glasses you will understand why!

The point is, BH209 can actually get wet and they dried. It will still fire although probably not great. You cant say that for any other sub. Unfired in a barrel it wont absorb enough moisture to change hardly anything but i too wont bring a cold rifle into a warm building. While T7 will go bang if left loaded long term, what does the chrono say when compared to a fresh load? How do those #s compare to BH209?

BH209 is virtually non hygroscopic, Triple7 is not.

While T7 will go bang if left loaded long term, what does the chrono say when compared to a fresh load?

After six months of my rifle being hunted with and stored in the house, the velocity of Black MZ was very close to a new load. Black MZ is more hygroscopic than Triple Seven.

When hunting in the drizzle and rain i use this rain gear. The little pink thingy waterproofs the #11 cap:

1661107065382.png

The point is, BH209 can actually get wet and they dried. It will still fire although probably not great. You cant say that for any other sub. Unfired in a barrel it wont absorb enough moisture to change hardly anything but i too wont bring a cold rifle into a warm building. While T7 will go bang if left loaded long term, what does the chrono say when compared to a fresh load? How do those #s compare to BH209?

BH209 is virtually non hygroscopic, Triple7 is not.
Correct!

But wouldn't the Potassium and Sulpher in BH be somewhat hygroscopic? I really do not know. Probably because I have never had a problem with either.

After six months of my rifle being hunted with and stored in the house, the velocity of Black MZ was very close to a new load. Black MZ is more hygroscopic than Triple Seven.

When hunting in the drizzle and rain i use this rain gear. The little pink thingy waterproofs the #11 cap:

View attachment 22803
I use the very same settup.

The primary reason I like BH is I can load my rifle and if I don’t shoot I can leave the load in place for the season if need be. I wouldn’t do that with anything else. Bench shooting I can use my T7 fff and swab.
All my side locks use OE Black powder 1 1/2 -2 and 3F all of my hunting guns are side locks and all stay loaded till I shoot or the season ends (I have long seasons too) Ed

In my 41 years of hunting big game with firearms, both centerfire and muzzleloaders, which includes Elk, Caribou, Bear, Whitetail Deer, Wild Boar, and Antelope, I have NEVER had the need for a follow up second shot. Every animal that I’ve shot with a firearm, has either dropped in its tracks, or has run off after a fatal hit to die. A follow up shot has never been required, or even do able in all my years of hunting big game.

If BH209 is more consistent from shot to shot, then it’s worth looking into. But everything I’m seeing so far, is that it’s favored for its cleanliness, and that for me is not justifiable for the cost.

A follow up shot has never been required, or even do able in all my years of hunting big game.
Lucky you! I’ve hunted exclusively with a muzzy for about 30-35 years and taken many dozens of animals in North America and Africa. I’ve had several that needed and received follow-up shots.

Back