Smokeless Patriot observations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your post & welcome to the forum.
It doesn’t sound like you’re familiar with the gun we’re talking about here.
It’s a smokeless muzzleloader….so, NO black powder or Pyrodex EVER!
I understand the diff recoil signatures of the diff powders & so does Decay.
The only smart move here is to get the brake or only shoot light smokeless charges with lighter bullets in the Patriot bc it’s so light.
A Traditions - anything, doesn’t belong in the same convo really.
I mentioned my recent experience with the Traditions Pursuit because it is very close to the same weight as the Patriot (5.75lbs VS 6lbs - 4oz difference). Mark Woodman of Woodman Arms has been quoted as saying that he designed the Patriot for BH 209. I’ve always considered BH 209 as a blackpowder substitute and wouldn’t call it smokeless. BH 209 has been very difficult to find. I assumed that folks could use Pyrodex or other BP substitutes in their Patriots. If you can share a source/link from Woodman Arms that says the Patriot can’t use any other BP substitute, I’d greatly appreciate it. I ask because I’m considering putting in an order for one myself, and if true, that would limit the Patriot’s usability. If I stand corrected, then apologies on my end for sure.

I mentioned my recent experience with the Traditions Pursuit because it is very close to the same weight as the Patriot (5.75lbs VS 6lbs - 4oz difference). Mark Woodman of Woodman Arms has been quoted as saying that he designed the Patriot for BH 209. I’ve always considered BH 209 as a blackpowder substitute and wouldn’t call it smokeless. BH 209 has been very difficult to find. I assumed that folks could use Pyrodex or other BP substitutes in their Patriots. If you can share a source/link from Woodman Arms that says the Patriot can’t use any other BP substitute, I’d greatly appreciate it. I ask because I’m considering putting in an order for one myself, and if true, that would limit the Patriot’s usability. If I stand corrected, then apologies on my end for sure.
He offers the Patriot rated for BH209 & smokeless.
The smokeless upgraded barrel is 300.00 more the last time I looked.

When you call, before you place your order for a Patriot, ask about it. I would get the smokeless rated barrel. Then your Patriot would be way more versatile then the Traditions you have now.

My understanding is the smokeless rated barrel is any of the .45 barrels that Woodman Arms offers.

NO SMOKELESS IN THE .50 CAL

Any BP substitute can be used!
But I would never consider soiling this fine barrel with any other than BH209 or smokeless.

I'm not sure but there will or is a .40 cal barrel 1-15 twist, that I'm interested in as well.
20240308_113359.jpg

To me the great thing about the Patriot is just how versatile it is. That's a 10 shot group, 5 with BH209 and 5 with smokeless N120, full bore .45 Fury sized to my barrel. Only difference between the two loads is the powder of choice ! Medium pressure adjustable breech plug.
What an amazing rifle!

My understanding is the smokeless rated barrel is any of the .45 barrels that Woodman Arms offers.

NO SMOKELESS IN THE .50 CAL

Any BP substitute can be used!
But I would never consider soiling this fine barrel with any other than BH209 or smokeless.

I'm not sure but there will or is a .40 cal barrel 1-15 twist, that I'm interested in as well.
View attachment 43452

To me the great thing about the Patriot is just how versatile it is. That's a 10 shot group, 5 with BH209 and 5 with smokeless N120, full bore .45 Fury sized to my barrel. Only difference between the two loads is the powder of choice ! Medium pressure adjustable breech plug.
What an amazing rifle!
Looks like you got it dialed in!!

Back