Fast twist 50 cal a 400 Bullet review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
This is a short review and comment on two fast twists 50 caliber barrels, this review and commentary is in no way a recommendation of powder charges or methods to be used by others and at the same time I believe these charges and bullets and methods to be safe.

Equipment used during test.
Defiance anti action
Remington varmint stock provided by stocky stocks
Douglas 1.25 Bull Barrels a 22 and a 20 twist both barrels finish from crown to lug at 25 and a quarter inches
Stock scope Barrel complete weigh 13 lb even
Only rifle scope used during the test is a ior 2.5 - 10 x 42
A front rest and a rear bag were used with all groups.
Both barrels were built by Woodman arms, breech plugs used are also, as well as modules, primers used were large rifle Federal mag
Harvester black short smooth

Bullets tested, again the test was 200 bullets in each barrel, for the most part the same bullets in both barrels ,however I did try more of a variety in the 22 twist.

1.fury basic star tip 250 it shot a very strong 3/4 Moa which I was surprised
2. Fury black tip 250.452 again 3/4 Moa confirm 2 days in a row
3. Fury 275 star tip
4. Fury 275 black tip
5. Fury 300 red ball tip stb
6. Fury Green tip 300 grain
7. Fury 325
8. Fury 400
9.sst250 and smackdown
10.xtp 300 gr mag
11.250 xtp
12. Northern precision 325
13. Northern Precision 400
14. Pittman accumax 325

Purpose
The focus of this experiment has been a closer look at twist and hopefully add to a lot of the knowledge and experience already established in 50 cal smokeless muzzleloading.
There is much recorded experience with 50 cal smokeless muzzleloading much of that was from a time when smokeless muzzle loading was in a sense developing ,The Savage smokeless rifles and those that were working with the Savages as well as other rifles, laid the groundwork for a lot of what we do today, even in 45 and 40 cal.

Shooting the two barrels.
I began with the 22 twist, I started with Sr 4759 and some 250 grain SST just to get the gun sighted in ,accuracy was there even moving the scope a little bit, 4759 showed a lot of potential and at the same time I had a couple of shots that didn't seem to have the power which I was surprised because I expected 4759 to be instant in ignition, I instantly switched to IMR 4198 I had 59 grains kind of in my mind already no special purpose that I have to explain that I went ahead and weighed out 59 grains and got a very good group was very happy with the conditions of the sabots, and this is another aspect of the 22 twist Barrel that I find odd maybe in a good way and I'll just state it now ,every single group I shot with that barrel other than a couple of 400 grain bullets was shot with 59 grains even the 325 in that particular Barrel, I did no ladder testing on the 22 twist at all only shot the same charge if you go back up and look at that bullet list it really is pretty incredible that a 50 cal smokeless rifle could shoot 14 bullets all less than Moa and most of them actually around 3/4 or less Moa. As I have shot both of these barrels I have always kept the same pace and timing my bench is 50 yd from my house I fire one round I casually get up from my bench walk back in the house weigh a charge, load the gun,walk back out sit down and fire ,I have not timed that, there have been some groups where I know after that third shot my barrel still was a still warm slightly, I have kept the same pace however and many of the groups I have shot would put the first three bullets well under MOA oftentimes in a half inch and the last two might pull the group out closer to 3/4 or 7/8 I'm very confident when I say all of these bullets shot less than Moa, I was so overwhelmed with the results of the 22 twist on every single load I went back the second day and shot again just to make sure it wasn't a lucky group.
The 22 shot better with light bullets and by light I mean 250s than the 20 did ,however the 20 shot better with the 325s-400.
With both barrels I wanted to stay as basic in my methods of shooting them as I could ,by that I mean pouring powder, seating a sabot with bullet, and shooting,no support of any kind, no wad, no sub base. I was not looking for velocity even though I realize how important it is, I wasn't worried so much about high pressures if anything I was very much anemic and on the low pressure side I know that, what I was adamant about was taking my plastic to its limit and stopping there, again in a lot of my other shooting with 45 Cal I often find that is where the accuracy is, at least in a lower pressure load.
I'm very amazed with both barrels how constant and consistent they are the only time I ever got a quote, flyer, was when I had a weakness in ignition it would be evident when I picked the plastic up off the ground and those were very few, one thing I will say and this is an established reality the 50 likes a tight fit plastic bullet combination. Short Harvester black smooth were shot in both barrels, both barrels showed a slight preference over the ribbed.
With heavy bullets the 400 grains I did try some loads with Varget they shot well, but I did have a couple of ignition issues, also with the lighter bullets I tried n110 ,it shot around an inch in both barrels ,what was curious for me was I couldn't get n110 to tune going from starting load to Max load the groups all look the same.

I realize sitting here trying to communicate a little short summary there's so much more I could say which I will not for now, maybe my comments and inspiration is more smokeless philosophy rather than this particular experiment,,, often we take established norms and instead of using them as a springboard we are confined by them,
50 cal smokeless has incredible potential if you think about it you can go in any store in America and buy some 250 or 300 grain SST as well as some 300 grain xtps there's so many bullets available that could be used in a 50 cal smokeless much of what we think about 50 cal smokeless was established 10 years ago and it's great for a base of information we have new bullets now and smokeless muzzle loading has just grown it's matured I plan on adding a couple of 50 cal smokeless hunting rifles to my 45 Cal collection and you can sure bet they will be fast twist with a little support under the plastic with some velocity testing done I really think 50 cal smokeless could be more mainstream than even 45 is it sure is practical.

I want to thank Mark Woodman for his help and talking me off the mad scientist ledge many times and modern muzzleloader and the friends and family I have there ,I hope others can take this crude experiment and add technical expertise to it ,there is so much potential and in my eyes we are only getting started.
There are many more details in shooting both of these barrels I welcome any questions anyone has ,any time ,I sure hope others give 50 cal fast twist a second look,, I mean 14 bullets in plastic all less than Moa maybe some of those older Savage rifles did that I don't know, all I know is I have 50 cal on the brain right now I cannot even see my 45 Cal rifles and never thought I'd say that it just must be a temporary Madness

MM that was a great report. Thank you. You're spot on about all the bullets and bullet/sabot combos available for the .50. It is truly a very versatile caliber in muzzleloading, I assume due to its popularity. You put a lot of effort and $$ into this testing and its appreciated. I have several .50 cals but when I went smokeless I opted for the .45. One reason was cost. I went the CVA Scout conversion route and I am truly impressed at the accuracy of that little rifle. It shoots 300-325 gr Hornady SST and FTX bullets under MOA and that's good enough for me.
I have a couple 700ML and was considering having one turned into a .50 SML but being on a fixed income I just can't swing it.
Thanks again for a really good report and good luck in the future. God bless

The big bullets in both barrels with lighter charges or not that bad to shoot I'm a small frame man I think a lot of us think about shooting a 400 grain bullet and go no way I shot the 400 grain Northern precision with a mild charge it was very very accurate ,and very very comfortable to get behind the fury 400 and the northern Precision 400 shot at around 13 to 1500 ft per second is not that hard to shoot at all, the recoil has more of a push then the sharpness of a 45 it really is kind of a modern Bubba's Buffalo Gun, I really think both of those bullets at a comfortable speed with a comfortable recoil signature would be phenomenal hunting bullets, I cannot see many animals walking the ground in North America getting up after getting hit by one and there's something about putting a 400 grain bullet into a half inch group that really gets my attention.

MM.... Thank you for your dedication to doing all this trial shooting. Aside from the obvious costs you accrued, the time factor is just something else.

You mention that the testing was done with bull barrels. Do you think barrel harmonics will cause groups to open up when using a more conventionally tapered barrel?

Not at all I think a taper Barrel would be fine I'm sure fixing to get a couple this next year ,I don't know that I've even seen this kind of accuracy across the board with so many bullets even shooting 45 smokeless, I mentioned the word from time to time,, constants I tend to look for constants that even a simpleton cannot deny, if I had only shot one barrel the 22 I would still be very excited but I would still be skeptical, shooting the 20 right behind the 22, it reinforced every single aspect in an accuracy sense that I found in the 22 so much so that I really believe the 22 is going to be a phenomenal twist for50 Cal versatility. Barrel taper won't be any more of an issues than it is with any other bore, a good barrel will be a good barrel. If the 45 had as many bullet choices to put in plastic I would probably still be in 45 camp but there's just so much you can put in plastic in a 50 cal by the way I tried other Plastics the other colors they just didn't work smokeless I tried 458 bullets even in the 452 black Harvesters that still didn't work for me, I stuck with the 452 bullet shot every bullet fury made in that category, I mention this again what was so amazing with both barrels were 325s both of Pittman's and the Furys and the northern precision,, these are not bullets we would normally equate with plastic,maybe we don't think about them in a plastic load because we've never tried them with the right twist and with the right powder charge.

Okay I want to State it like this if I've ever considered a 50 cal smokeless and I had a Twist that allowed me to shoot anything from a 250 grain up to a 400 grain bullet with excellent accuracy why would I not consider that,, I remain in the fast twist camp, with each new fast twist experiment I am even more convinced,, and sure I understand that you can carry twist way too far, but I am constantly reminded of this ,,faster gives me more versatility ,,slower limits me.

Wanted to make more comments on the plastic, the 22 twist had perfect plastic ,with the 59 grain load and what I mean by perfect plastic is I had a 90° umbrella I had on a windless day all plastic landing within the same two feet of each other on the ground ,very uniform ,I had a full cup underneath ,the 20, of course I could tell was a little bit harder on plastic, on some of the loads I could see a slight twist in the pedals ,but at the same time it did not shear pedals, some time some of those pedals that exhibited a slight twist effect also shot very accurately. Another thing I couldn't get my plastic to look the way I wanted with any of the other powders except imr4198 even though the other powders were accurate also ,again they were nowhere near as accurate as imr 4198 even with the 325 and 400 grain bullets, that was unexpected for me I did not expect 4198 to be so dominant across the board especially with the heavier bullets and just to touch on the 325s and the 400s it really was the most exciting part of both barrels I am amazed how well they shot in plastic I know the men that designed those bullets did not have that intent, we have so many new bullets now so much that you can put in a harvester black and send down range I look forward to more experimenting with both barrels in the future and shooting some hunting rifles also in fast twist., and I know everyone realizes this would do great with a big heavy load of Black Horn well at least as much as the plastic could take but if you add support there's no reason why this faster twist wouldn't make a excellent Western big bodied such as elk moose rifle,, I mean if I hunted a Montana river bottom and could put 250s in my 50 cal and hunt whitetail and then hunt elk and moose with 350 and 400s and do everything accurately with one gun what more could I ask, buy bullets at the hardware store or any Walmart!!

Thank you so much for your kind words, just a fanatic having fun, we're just getting started it is Limitless!
I hope everyone understands the ramifications if what you have done.
You in essence have turned the muzzleloasing industry on its head.
Weather you know it or not.
I really like the idea of versatility and commercial availability.
The Walmart aspect of what your results have revealed are earth shattering.
The flip side is the Walmart aspect is so seasonal.
There bullets are in storage in the back they bring them out next year.
At last check at academy there were 7 to 10 choices for 50 cal year round
1 or 2 for 45
None for 40
50 is definitely more main stream
45 is boutique but availible on line
40 well 40 is a wildcat right now.
You have a few specialty bullets that you can use. Maybe 4 or 5 that I know of a few with sub categories of bullet weights.
For me I have 3 50 cal smokers
3 45 smokeless.
That being said I feel like I have 3 40 cal capable with sabots
So I have no plans for a 40 unless I could find a plastic load with say a 338 bullet or 35 bullet.
I'd like to see one more test with the 50 caliber.
57 gns of imr4198 and a Fury 225 40cal
In a sabot you get that going and we'll the possibilities really start to expand with the 50.
Heck just stuff a light blue with the cup cut off into a smooth black and send a few.
I bet it shoots a hole.....
In that 20 twist....
What say you.???

I hope everyone understands the ramifications if what you have done.
You in essence have turned the muzzleloasing industry on its head.
Weather you know it or not.
I really like the idea of versatility and commercial availability.
The Walmart aspect of what your results have revealed are earth shattering.
The flip side is the Walmart aspect is so seasonal.
There bullets are in storage in the back they bring them out next year.
At last check at academy there were 7 to 10 choices for 50 cal year round
1 or 2 for 45
None for 40
50 is definitely more main stream
45 is boutique but availible on line
40 well 40 is a wildcat right now.
You have a few specialty bullets that you can use. Maybe 4 or 5 that I know of a few with sub categories of bullet weights.
For me I have 3 50 cal smokers
3 45 smokeless.
That being said I feel like I have 3 40 cal capable with sabots
So I have no plans for a 40 unless I could find a plastic load with say a 338 bullet or 35 bullet.
I'd like to see one more test with the 50 caliber.
57 gns of imr4198 and a Fury 225 40cal
In a sabot you get that going and we'll the possibilities really start to expand with the 50.
Heck just stuff a light blue with the cup cut off into a smooth black and send a few.
I bet it shoots a hole.....
In that 20 twist....
What say you.???
I smell a 18 twist 50 coming

Thank you so much I hope others pick the 50 back up and give it another look, I shot the 20 twist today with the old cans of sr4759 and some 300 grain sst in a 20 plus mile an hour wind I was getting three quarters of an inch, I added a group of 250 FTX ,I shot the 300 mags that did so well in the 22 twist even in the heavy wind today I managed three quarter inch group with the 250 FTX in between wind gust, both barrels are very consistent ,extremely good barrels from a good company Douglas!

I have very much become a believer that button rifle fast twist barrels balance very well with sabot loads,, black Harvester and light blue both like fast twist barrels. Faster twist than many of us realize ,I personally believe that the stress on plastic is more related to the burn rate and type of powder one is using in a smokeless rifle, as well as the priming, the dynamic of twist surely does have an effect ,I just don't think it is as drastic as we think, most of the stress on plastic again is from beneath, a couple of the rifles that I have that are on the edge of being too fast again will show a little twisting in the plastic but I blow plastic just as quick in slower twist rifles. If y'all haven't noticed I consider pressures in these particular 50 cal rifles from more of a plastic point of view rather than worrying about my load being too high or too low I use pressure to give me the plastic tune that I'm looking for whatever velocity that gives me I work with that,,, both of these barrels shot very very low pressure anemic loads at least compared to established loads from the last 10 to 15 years how however again the powder charges that I work with really balance well with the plastic I would submit to you that those 14 bullets all being less than Moa had a lot to do with that,,, that runs over me like a bulldozer I still don't quite know what to do with that, because I don't fully have an understanding of that I'm trying to learn that.

Your experience and knowledge, and willingness to write it all up is extraordinary. I wish I could give you a strain gauge and a Garmin chronograph and a secretary to take notes, compile and print/post it all. You (and Todd and and Tom and Tom) have enabled me to spend a couple thousand dollars in the past year. It's nowhere near over. There's lots of testing and data gathering to do. We've only just begun. Hahaha. It's shootin season (and fishin season, and golf season).

Wanted to make more comments on the plastic, the 22 twist had perfect plastic ,with the 59 grain load and what I mean by perfect plastic is I had a 90° umbrella I had on a windless day all plastic landing within the same two feet of each other on the ground ,very uniform ,I had a full cup underneath ,the 20, of course I could tell was a little bit harder on plastic, on some of the loads I could see a slight twist in the pedals ,but at the same time it did not shear pedals, some time some of those pedals that exhibited a slight twist effect also shot very accurately. Another thing I couldn't get my plastic to look the way I wanted with any of the other powders except imr4198 even though the other powders were accurate also ,again they were nowhere near as accurate as imr 4198 even with the 325 and 400 grain bullets, that was unexpected for me I did not expect 4198 to be so dominant across the board especially with the heavier bullets and just to touch on the 325s and the 400s it really was the most exciting part of both barrels I am amazed how well they shot in plastic I know the men that designed those bullets did not have that intent, we have so many new bullets now so much that you can put in a harvester black and send down range I look forward to more experimenting with both barrels in the future and shooting some hunting rifles also in fast twist., and I know everyone realizes this would do great with a big heavy load of Black Horn well at least as much as the plastic could take but if you add support there's no reason why this faster twist wouldn't make a excellent Western big bodied such as elk moose rifle,, I mean if I hunted a Montana river bottom and could put 250s in my 50 cal and hunt whitetail and then hunt elk and moose with 350 and 400s and do everything accurately with one gun what more could I ask, buy bullets at the hardware store or any Walmart!!
Thanks for another great write up brother. It’s really awesome what you’re doing, and sharing the details of it all with the forum. Invaluable info from firsthand experience. It don’t get no better than that. And it’s really nice to see your excitement in your writing about it.

Back