Help on some load development ideas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm new to smokless muzzleloaders, not new to muzzleloaders. Got my first build coming together now, it'll be a while till the gun is done, but I'm trying to plan a load to try put once it is.

Im building on a savage action, with a kit from Cecil at prbullet.
50 cal stainless green mountain barrel.
28", 1:26"

I've heard alot of guys doing the hornady 300 grain bullets, powerd by some 5744. I dont hate that, but a part of me wants to shoot 50 cal bullets.

Id like to shoot the fury 320 grain universal fits. Any suggestions on load to move that bullet? Or any other 50 cal loads, sabboted or un sabboted, that you think I should try? Thanks guys.
So what did cecil recomend he's very knowledgeable with his stuff.
I have used his Dynsmo in my savage 45 bore riding.
He might make that bullet fir 50 I don't know but Worth a look.
I would look at a furry 275 45 cal in a harvester light blue with imr 4198 mnt monkey just did a big write up on 50 cal fast twist 20/22 twists respectively and sabots.
Hornady makes there ftx bore rider didn't shoot very good out of my thompson 777 gun but may do very good in that only way to know is try it.
If I was trying it out I'd start around 45 grains of 4198 and work up from there over a chronograph.
I don't believe I'd go above 52 to 54 grains
I'd try and get the velocity to 2150 to 2300
That's one of the bullets I'm going to try in the 50 cal barrels when they come in.
After I finish with my 16 twist 45 projects

Cecil just said that shooting bullet to bore is stupid in a 50 lol. He was saying just shoot 250-300 grain 45 cal. In his sabots of couse. He makes no 50 cal bullets. Says the bc is so low its like shooting a turd

Cecil just said that shooting bullet to bore is stupid in a 50 lol. He was saying just shoot 250-300 grain 45 cal. In his sabots of couse. He makes no 50 cal bullets. Says the bc is so low its like shooting a turd
Cecil is nothing, if not opinionated, and has no problem telling people they're stupid. He is a smart, clever, innovative guy. But tactful… he ain’t.

Lol that is kinda the impression I've been getting from.him
Cecil is not a terrible guy.
I get along with him just fine. I know what I want to try and some of his stuff doesn't fit that mold that's fine but he's helped me more than not so I don't discount his knowledge
He's been doing this along time. And has his opinions. I'm fine with that.
I will form my own and they may differ.
I think bore riding with the right twist is posible in the 50 cal segment. That's the rub though most 50 cals are using 28or 26 as the norm I think it's going to take a 20 or 22 maybe even an 18 to take advantage of the bore. With a long 400 grain bullet ar smokeless velocities.
He may be right with his barrel they won't stabilize. Also bare in mind a barrel nut gun needs to be kept at safe pressures.
He also is running a business and of course is going to talk in his line up as a potential sale. That's good business practice although it may not exactly fit your wants...
I think that bullet to bore is a distinct possibility with all the new bullets from furry northern precision etc there out there.
I'm going to find out for myself for sure.
By putting rounds down range.

Last edited:
The big industry just can't keep up with what the boutique businesses are doing
They just move way to slow and generally get behind the curve. I can have an idea and try it out in a day or so.
Not so with the big players.
I've worked in both scenarios...

As your finding out the plug and play setups have there limitations. It's quick and easy because someone else speced it out to fit there model of how things should be.
You can spec out your own build and wait months or years for it.
Each way had its pitfalls.

Can you elaborate on those rifles for us uneducated please sir
Both the Remington Ultimate (RUM) and the Ultimate Firearms Inc. (UF) are 50cal rifles. The RUM was developed after Remington purchased the ignition rights from Ultimate Firearms Inc. They made the two piece breech plug harder and changed the thread pitch. Originally, they both shot sabots and are capable of 200grs of BP or substitutes. They are hunting rifles, not target rifles, but they can be very accurate to 500yds.

Fury makes a BtB bullet that shoots outstanding from both rifles called the Universal Fit https://www.furycustombullets.com/shop-2/black-powder-muzzle-loader-bullets/50-universal-fit/
There are a lot of owners shooting extremely accurately BtB. So to say a 50cal won't shoot BtB is "stupid".

Both the Remington Ultimate (RUM) and the Ultimate Firearms Inc. (UF) are 50cal rifles. The RUM was developed after Remington purchased the ignition rights from Ultimate Firearms Inc. They made the two piece breech plug harder and changed the thread pitch. Originally, they both shot sabots and are capable of 200grs of BP or substitutes. They are hunting rifles, not target rifles, but they can be very accurate to 500yds.

Fury makes a BtB bullet that shoots outstanding from both rifles called the Universal Fit https://www.furycustombullets.com/shop-2/black-powder-muzzle-loader-bullets/50-universal-fit/
There are a lot of owners shooting extremely accurately BtB. So to say a 50cal won't shoot BtB is "stupid".
I'm sure going to try it myself.
Didn't have much luck with my TC lrmp 777 barrel shooting hornady ftx bore riders.
But I believe a proper barrel might be different. Smokeless of course

Latest posts

Back