Smokeless Muzzleloader Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

I’m looking for suggestions about building a new smokeless muzzleloader to replace my Savage ML10-II smokeless muzzleloader. I already have a Savage Axis II XP 7mm-08 with a small shank and a Tikka T3X Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor that I could use as a donor. I’m also considering purchasing a Mac Bros EVO II Stainless Steel Muzzle Loader Action for the build. I’d like to keep the cost (before riflescope) at approximately $1000 to $2000. I will be using the muzzleloader for whitetail hunting from a treestand in Virginia. Longest shots would be 300 yards.​

I’m leaning towards using a Arrowhead Brux 45cal Savage Prefit Barrel kit. I have Vihtavuori N110, Vihtavuori N120, & Accurate 5744 powders as well as Barnes Original 300 grain Semi-Soft Point .458 and Parker 300GR Ballistic Extreme bullets.​

What do you guys that are experienced in building smokeless muzzleloaders suggest? Should I go with bullets with sabots or full-bore bullets? Are .45 or .40 caliber barrels best? Are Arrowhead brux barrel kits my best bet? Is it OK to use barrel nuts on the barrel or should I go full thread on?​

I want 1 moa or better and weight of the muzzleloader before scope of 7-8 pounds.​

Thanks in advance for your opinions.​

If you can hunt with a .40 cal, that is my first choice. Some of the nicest shooting rifles I've built are 40 cals. The action is not necessarily where safety factor comes in, it is the barrel shank and breech plug.
To shoot under 300 yards from a treestand, a bolt gun is probably way over kill. If you were going to build a bolt gun, a Defiance Outcast is the way to go. You could get a new Brux barreled action for about $2000. Stocks and triggers are everywhere and you can always upgrade these down the road easily.

If you can hunt with a .40 cal, that is my first choice. Some of the nicest shooting rifles I've built are 40 cals...........................
Yup.
The 40's have done to the 45's, what the 45's did to the 50's.
In competition, the 40's are ruling now.
All the custom bullet builders are making 40cal bullets.
I'd suggest a FAST twist also if the OP goes 40cal.

If you can hunt with a .40 cal, that is my first choice. Some of the nicest shooting rifles I've built are 40 cals. The action is not necessarily where safety factor comes in, it is the barrel shank and breech plug.
To shoot under 300 yards from a treestand, a bolt gun is probably way over kill. If you were going to build a bolt gun, a Defiance Outcast is the way to go. You could get a new Brux barreled action for about $2000. Stocks and triggers are everywhere and you can always upgrade these down the road easily.
What would work best with a .40 caliber barrel? Saboted bullets or full bore?

The Savage Axis was a raffle prize that I won a year ago. I haven't even shot it yet. I really didn't have a use for it. This would put it to good use if you guys think it is a good donor for a muzzleloader build.

As stated the Axis platform is acceptable for a smokeless build albeit not the prettiest out there. Same aspects as the Savage 10,12,16 etc. which is a great platform for the DIY er, but I would look for a large shank action. I think you would be hard pressed to get bolt action build to come in less than 8 lbs.

Virginia regulations allow 40 caliber or larger, firing a single projectile or sabot (with a .35 caliber or larger projectile). So they would be good to go. That's the only state that I hunt with a muzzleloader.

As stated the Axis platform is acceptable for a smokeless build albeit not the prettiest out there. Same aspects as the Savage 10,12,16 etc. which is a great platform for the DIY er, but I would look for a large shank action. I think you would be hard pressed to get bolt action build to come in less than 8 lbs.
What would be the disadvantage of using the small shank Savage Axis that I have over a large shank Savage?

What would be the disadvantage of using the small shank Savage Axis that I have over a large shank Savage?
Small shank has a smaller physical diameter than a large shank at the breech end. 1.060 vs 1.120. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Stick with the loads suggested by the barrel / breech plug manufacture and you are safe.

Small shank has a smaller physical diameter than a large shank at the breech end. 1.060 vs 1.120. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Stick with the loads suggested by the barrel / breech plug manufacture and you are safe.
I like the idea of the .40 caliber barrel. Which barrel manufactures would you recommend in .40 caliber?

I like the idea of the .40 caliber barrel. Which barrel manufactures would you recommend in .40 caliber?
I'd buy from Arrowhead and be done with it.

The 40's shooting smokeless can take some work getting it right but, when you do......... WOW.
The top shooters in the country are switching over and using 40's. We shoot at Camp Atterbury at 1,000yds and CAN NOT use smokeless propellants. Everyone used BH but, those 40's are putting the hurt on we with 45's.

Good luck.

What would work best with a .40 caliber barrel? Saboted bullets or full bore?

Virginia regulations allow 40 caliber or larger, firing a single projectile or sabot (with a .35 caliber or larger projectile). So they would be good to go. That's the only state that I hunt with a muzzleloader.
There's no sabot made for the 40. (357/40).....yet. You have to shoot smooth form (.400 - .408)or full form (.392 - .400) bullets. I would do full form, but that's me.

I’m looking for suggestions about building a new smokeless muzzleloader to replace my Savage ML10-II smokeless muzzleloader. I already have a Savage Axis II XP 7mm-08 with a small shank and a Tikka T3X Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor that I could use as a donor. I’m also considering purchasing a Mac Bros EVO II Stainless Steel Muzzle Loader Action for the build. I’d like to keep the cost (before riflescope) at approximately $1000 to $2000. I will be using the muzzleloader for whitetail hunting from a treestand in Virginia. Longest shots would be 300 yards.​

I’m leaning towards using a Arrowhead Brux 45cal Savage Prefit Barrel kit. I have Vihtavuori N110, Vihtavuori N120, & Accurate 5744 powders as well as Barnes Original 300 grain Semi-Soft Point .458 and Parker 300GR Ballistic Extreme bullets.​

What do you guys that are experienced in building smokeless muzzleloaders suggest? Should I go with bullets with sabots or full-bore bullets? Are .45 or .40 caliber barrels best? Are Arrowhead brux barrel kits my best bet? Is it OK to use barrel nuts on the barrel or should I go full thread on?​

I want 1 moa or better and weight of the muzzleloader before scope of 7-8 pounds.​

Thanks in advance for your opinions.​

Do your homework. Read all the info. you can on 40s and 45s.Talk to builders. Ask questions, like you did here, on the other boards, Doug's, Hank's, etc.

Latest posts

Back