BH 209 ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Measuring by volume is fine. Weighing will give you a little more consistency in your loads. You may not even be able to see it on paper. I do a lot of reloading and that is why I have used the weight over volume.

I quess I am confused. BH209 is sold by the weight of 10oz, but they tell me not to bother to weigh the charges, but volume measure it. Does this sound strange to anyone but me?
You buy black powder by the pound (16oz), but you measure black powder by volume.

Over 90% of muzzleloader shooter wouldn't see a difference between volume (done right) and weight. If you're not shooting 300yds plus, it doesn't matter.

There's a number of guys on here that weigh their BH209 charges.
Mr Tom, is one guy that comes to mind. Maybe he or one of the other members will chime in.
I for one have always measured by volume.

Here's a great video for the OP to watch. Bestill Creations thoughts part 3 - YouTube

I weigh but, I've done it since BH first hit the market over a decade ago. For most shooters and hunters, its not necessary. Those who weigh the charges are looking for more than average accuracy. Weighing provides the highest degree of consistency for the charge only. There are other contributing factors associated with extreme accuracy. Loading force, seating pressure, etc. Nothing is written in stone and the best shooters still have unanswered questions.
If one doesn't compete or isn't extremely serious, weighing is not necessary. I'd have no issues what so ever hunting to 200yds and my charges be by volume only. Things will change and as some have already mentioned, lot numbers change and so will the weight. They mentioned to measure out 10 VOLUME measurements and weigh them. Average the weight and use that charge for THAT LOT NUMBER ONLY. If you change lot numbers, repeat the process. This IMO is the very BEST METHOD. Shooters not using that method can very well be shorting themselves on velocity if they go by weight only. OMG... someone will go off on that ;)

Example only........ Lot #32.... you measure out ten 120gr volume charges and weigh each, then average it. The average weight could be......... 82grs. That's 2grs under the 84gr max.

Lot #39.......... use the same process as above to get an average. The average weight of ten 120gr charges of Lot #39 is 96grs. That's an additional 12grs over the guys that are using 84grs. Remember....................... Western has always recommended the use of volume.

Some of us will be shooting a match this weekend at ranges of 800, 900 and 1,000yds. Every one of us will use the above mentioned Best Method. :)

Last edited:
There's a number of guys on here that weigh their BH209 charges.
Mr Tom, is one guy that comes to mind. Maybe he or one of the other members will chime in.
I for one have always measured by volume.

Yes, I weigh all my charges of BH209. I could measure by volume and feel just as confident though. I'm old with lots of time on my hands so weighing charges is no skin off me and in doing so I am assured that my charges are not an issue should something crop up down the line. As mentioned, if one is not doing precision shooting or long range stuff either method will work with BH209 just dandy.

One needs to be aware that BH209 powder in differing lots numbers will/can weigh differently: lot XX BH209 can weigh heavier or lighter per 100 grain by volume charge than lot XXXBH209 powder in the same 100 grain by volume charge. When I open a fresh jug of BH209 I volume measure ten, 100 grain charges and weigh each separately. I total the weights and divide by ten to determine what the average weight per 100 grain by volume charge is and use that weight throughout the life of that jug per charge. I do not do any long range or precision shooting but I do like consistency and weighing my charges gives me this. Others can do as they please.

An easy way to be efficient, and accurate is to measure by volume, and weight.

Establish a density for the powder being used is the first step. Use a powder drop like the Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure to drop the powder charge. Weigh the dropped charge; it will be near the same weight each time. Adjust the weight so it is the same for every drop, and fill vials with the dropped, and weighed loads. Easy peasy, and perfectly accurate.

I weigh my charges also and came up with the same 75 grain load by weight. I also weigh my T7 loads as well as my BP loads. I like consistency and after years of reloading I find that this works well for me.

Back