BH 209 ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusticbob

Reaction score
Just need some advise. I shoot a T/C Triumph now with T7 and T/C sabots. I shoot with open sights, I love the fiber optics that came with the gun. I am good to 100 yards with this setup, and have killed numerous deer . I have a bottle of BH209 to try, the question is will I be gaining Anything by going to BH209, or should I leave well enough alone and keep using the T7

Attachments

• 79E41707-D4A8-4C0C-BF44-9A0747672B49.jpeg
    79E41707-D4A8-4C0C-BF44-9A0747672B49.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 12
Just need some advise. I shoot a T/C Triumph now with T7 and T/C sabots. I shoot with open sights, I love the fiber optics that came with the gun. I am good to 100 yards with this setup, and have killed numerous deer . I have a bottle of BH209 to try, the question is will I be gaining Anything by going to BH209, or should I leave well enough alone and keep using the T7

My answer back to you is that BH is much easier to use when it comes to bore care. The real question will be whether the extra cost of BH is worth it to you. Use the same 100 gr. Vol of powder and your point of impact will not change lot.

You do not say if you are using a 209 ignition system and I assume you are, so with BH your breech plug and bore maintenance will be less.

The real benefit of BH209 is that you do not need to clean your rifle right away if you shoot. I used to pass up shots on coyotes and such because I didn’t want to have to clean, or take the chance on a fouled barrel fouling up a shot on a big buck later on in the day.
With BH209 I have gone almost a year without cleaning after having fired the rifle and no issues at all. Easy cleanup and back in business. I don’t make that a habit, but it happened once.

As hard, and expensive, as it is to find BH209. I've been practicing with T7. I'll save the BH209 I have left for hunting season. My thought is, I have plenty of time after a practice session to clean. In the field, or at hunt camp, sometimes things get delayed. When that happens, I feel alot better with BH209 in the bore.

I like BH209 and as long as I can get my hands on it I won’t be going back to 777 or any of the other current substitutes. Do not neglect cleaning your breech plug with hand spun drill bits and torch tip cleaners or you’ll eventually have issues with it. I use the CCI 209M primers but there are others that will work.

To me, the best thing about BH209 is less smoke (can see better when you shoot) and not having to swab between shooting (this comes in more to play on the bench than in the field). I love it. That said, I do also shoot other powder some as well, in my #11 rifles.
And yes, the fouling in the BP gets hard like concrete and should be cleaned after each outing.

I love shooting all long guns from 32 flint to my 6.5. I shot my 32 the other day and mixed up some 1 to 10 Balistol to water to clean with and it really melts BP fouling quickly. Someone suggested it and I saw a video online about it. I was really happy with how fast cleanup was.

Page 3 of the MSD sheet in the link below proves BH209 is 83% smokeless powder (nitrocellulose). This is the reason for its reduction in corrosion and its energy. It is also the reason water-based solvents are not used for cleanup by most people. However, two of the other ingredients are slightly corrosive.

2022-Blackhorn-209-SDS.pdf (blackhorn209.com)

Nitrocellulose 83%
Guanidine Mononitrate 15%
Potassium Perchlorate 1 %
Ethyl Centralite 1%

I would like to see somebody get out their Chemistry set and make a similar product to compete with BH209. It is not rocket science.

Is there a conversion chart for how much 100 gr measured load of BH209 would actually weigh? I prefer to weigh my loads.

Take your 100gr volume load (or whatever volume load you choose) and weigh it. That is the best and most sure fire way of knowing as BH depending on the lot number, may or may not weigh the same as a previous or future lot number.

Is there a conversion chart for how much 100 gr measured load of BH209 would actually weigh? I prefer to weigh my loads.

I measured 10 different times using 100g by volume and weighed each and then averaged them out. I settled on 75g by weight equaled 100g by volume. From what I've read each lot of BH209 is a little different.

I did the same as 1 above. Also, I have read that BH209 does not draw moisture as much as other mz powders.

I quess I am confused. BH209 is sold by the weight of 10oz, but they tell me not to bother to weigh the charges, but volume measure it. Does this sound strange to anyone but me?

Back