Thoughts on BlackHorn 209.......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for storage over a long time what do you do? I used it for everything, but tend to wipe off

earnhard3

For long term storage... I would suggest that you dry patch the bore as dry as you can get it. Might even run a couple of alcohol patches then dry patch the bore. Then treat the bore with a very good quality bore oil.... there are lot of good ones out there.

I personally use Slip 2000 or Montana X-treme niether of these products have teflon in them.

I'm wondering...will hoppes strip out Teflon from the bore?

cell

I am not sure but i would not think so.... maybe a regualr bore cleaner such as Butches Bore shine might.

I am pretty sure that boiling water will remove it, by heating the barrel opening the pores - it will also delete the barrel of any plastic residue.

sabot loader, do you use the slip-2000 black powder lubricant or the regular gun lubricant? What's the difference between the two?

fisher2072

I use the regular lube because I am shooting T7, which really is a smokeless powder....

http://www.slip2000.com/gunlube_info.htm

Here is some good information... remember this is written to sell you on the product but a lot it is exactly what I have found - to be true.

It is an expensive oil - but a little bit of goes a long ways....

I use 3 in 1 oil...good?...bad?
I don't think it has teflon in it and I've never noticed any rust after using it.

Thanks Sabotloader.

I'ma going to grab up some Montana xtreme,and see how it does.Like I said I have very little crud ring to begin with using t7 3f,but It would be nice not to have any at all....I hate having the feeling that theres a chance of me not pushing a follow up load all the way through the ring if I ever needed too.

Ill post some results up when It gets mailed,and I use it.Yes I know... no promises,but I think it will be better than the remoil.

I had read somewhere not to use gun oil in a ML but I think it was one of those old wives' tails. Something about petroleum messing up the bore...doesn't make any sense if it's all the same metal.

I've considered using WD40 as well but I still have plenty of the 3 in 1. WD40 is good for so many things.

cell

It will or it normally takes a few applications to get the most positive results from the product. Sure hopes it works for you in the long run.

I forgot to add to my last post...

I think your right about boiling water,and Teflon.I normally just fill the bath tub up with hot water,and push and pull a patch through to clean the barrel(until the patches come out clean).this time I not only did that,but also did boiling water twice...after the boiling water I got dirty patches again....it was a tan color,and not rust.
So I guess just using boiling water is a big improvement....M.Xtreme is ordered,and on its way.

Cell

I'm interested in using an oil without teflon, i'll explain why! I bought a triumph last January. I took it out a month "or so" ago for the initial break in without ever having anything put in the bore, and I have only shot BH209 in the rifle, and never swabbed between shots. I first went to the range and swabed the barrel with Butch's Bore Shine and dry patched it and began shooting. then took the gun home for it's first cleaning. First cleanup was a snap, bore came instantly clean with one wet patch "both sides used" saturated with Butch's bore shine and two dry patches. There was no crud buildup at all. I then put some rem oil with teflon in the bore to protect it. On the second trip to the range I swabed the barrel with one saturated patch of Butch's bore shine followed by two dry patches. I shot the rifle again without swabbing between shots and headed home. After the second trip out, there was a slight crud buildup a couple inches in front of the breachplug. I cleaned with Butch's bore shine then put Rem oil with teflon in the barrel to protect again. Third trip out I did the same cleaning of the barrel before firing. Upon returning home and cleaning the third time I noticed a little more crud buildup in the barrel. With the barrel breaking in I shouldn't see more Buildup as time goes on, at least I wouldn't think so! I'm thinking the culprit is the teflon. I'm not going to use the teflon anymore, and scrub the crap out of it with Butch's before firing again. We'll see what happens. I just need to get some good protective oil without the teflon.

until I just cant get it anymore, I will stick with BH. the cleaner burning is worth it to me

sabotloader said:
fisher2072

I use the regular lube because I am shooting T7, which really is a smokeless powder....

http://www.slip2000.com/gunlube_info.htm

Here is some good information... remember this is written to sell you on the product but a lot it is exactly what I have found - to be true.

It is an expensive oil - but a little bit of goes a long ways....
I have been using slip 2000 ewl for about a year and have nothing but good things to say about it, a little does go a long way.there cleaners are nothing special tho....karl

Sabotloader
I know you use Slip 2000 I am wondering if it might not be a combination of getting rid of the Teflon and putting a coating on that nothing will stick to. While I have not tried it myself I know that some is use by the armed services and that people say that it works as advertised. While I like BH well enough that I will use it as long as I can get it, you never know how long that will be.

Lee

I know you use Slip 2000 I am wondering if it might not be a combination of getting rid of the Teflon and putting a coating on that nothing will stick to.

Your statement could very well be correct as I had been using oils that contained teflon - but even then i was not getting the real hard - difficult 'crud ring'

While I have not tried it myself I know that some is use by the armed services and that people say that it works as advertised

For the military and the average centerfire person - I think it might just do what it is suppose to do.... especially in the miltary service as their guns get really beat up and shot a lot - a little loss of accuracy or extra bore fouling - they can live with. For the average shooter would they ever know the difference + plus remember the bulk of their explosion, pressure, and heat is contained in a brass shell.

While I like BH well enough that I will use it as long as I can get it, you never know how long that will be.

I can not imgagine - BH going away... It is a great powder but just to expensive for me and the amount of shooting I do, and when T7 works so well for me. If it came down to T7 going away and my choices were any of the other subs (that I can get) then BH would probably have to be my choice.

Please remember also, i do not use teflon because various articles that i have read and my thoughts are the minuute (small) amount of sticky burnt teflon may add to the attaction of residue.

I just wish they'd get more distributors. I asked my local shop today if he could even order it, and he said it wasn't available through any of his distros.

BrewerGeorge said:
I asked my local shop today if he could even order it, and he said it wasn't available through any of his distros.

Same here. I ordered it myself.

Back