Thoughts on BlackHorn 209.......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globemountain

Reaction score
I have been shooting the limited supply of BH-209 that I have. I have to order it and pay the extra HazMat fee. In my local area BlackHorn 209 is not redily available. Local dealers are not stocking it because it is more expensive. My local dealer sells Triple 7 for $22.99 a pound. If I order BH-209, my cost ends up being $39 for 10oz. For me, I don't think BH-209 is worth the added cost. It is cleaner. I haven't found BH-209 more accurate than t7 in My guns. I don't mind swabbing between shot because I'm usually waiting for my barrel to cool anyway.

2 jugs (32 oz.) of T7 cost me $46. 3 jugs (30 oz.) of BH-209 cost me $117. At current pricing, I think I'll stick with T7. Am I missing something worth the extra expense?

While BlackHorn is a great powder, I am in the same boat as you. I have asked local merchants to stock it, and they refuse. So because of cost effective shooting, I do not use it. I shoot Triple Seven, Pyrodex, or black powder.

I've still got about a quarter of my first jug of BlackHorn left. I doubt I'll be buying any more. Wasn't that impressed. I shoot mostly GOEX with some Pyrodex and WalMart end of season sale T7 thrown in for variety.

Around here Cabela's is selling BH 209 for $30. I use it in my rifles. Most comment that BH 209 is nice to use because it doesn't require one to swab between shots, and that it is too expensive.

Myself, what i like the best about BH209 is, it is non hydro-scopic i.e. one doesn't need to think about it absorbing water whilst sitting in one's rifle barrel. Last hunting season i left my rifle sit in the truck, loaded, in all type of weather. Sometime it was near -20*, and other nights and days were near 60*. The rifle never failed to fire, and our freezer has meat in it.

Another good quality of BH209 is the size of the individual grains is the same at the top of the bottle and at the bottom of the bottle. Thus if one measures powder by volume one will get the same weight of powder whether pouring from a full or near empty bottle. This should make for some better accuracy.

I have shot 8 jugs of BH since the 1st of the year. I'm back to t7 it shoots better in my knights for me. It's cleaner, and more expensive that about sums it up FOR ME

I buy off the Internet for around 26 dollars a can when I buy by the case, the hazmat fee adds 2 dollars a can but its around the same price [about 2 dollars a can higher] than I have to pay for T7 and I Would go back to Pyrodex before I would T7 it was awful. Lee

I just like the fact that it doesn't soak up mosture, to me its worth every dime.

The fact that you don't get a full pound is the only gripe I have with it.

I am on my 10th jug of BH209 since I started shooting it in the spring of '08 and I like it very much. The non-corrosive, easy to clean thing is the biggest selling point for me.

BH209 is not more accurate in my Omegas than 777, but BH209 does shoot just as well and with hotter, faster loads, so that's a plus.

It is expensive, but I don't have any other terrible hobbies; no sports cars or boats or campers or motorcycles, and no second home... I shoot muzzleloaders, shoot some sporting clays, hunt deer and go surf fishing some. Given the cost of my various guns, scopes, gear, rods, reels, licenses, etc., if I have to spend about $200 a year on BH209 it is just not a big deal and it is worth it to me. JMO & .02

ronlaughlin said:
Around here Cabela's is selling BH 209 for $30. I use it in my rifles. Most comment that BH 209 is nice to use because it doesn't require one to swab between shots, and that it is too expensive.

Myself, what i like the best about BH209 is, it is non hydro-scopic i.e. one doesn't need to think about it absorbing water whilst sitting in one's rifle barrel. Last hunting season i left my rifle sit in the truck, loaded, in all type of weather. Sometime it was near -20*, and other nights and days were near 60*. The rifle never failed to fire, and our freezer has meat in it.

Another good quality of BH209 is the size of the individual grains is the same at the top of the bottle and at the bottom of the bottle. Thus if one measures powder by volume one will get the same weight of powder whether pouring from a full or near empty bottle. This should make for some better accuracy.

I agree with this ^. I've gone through about 6 jugs of the stuff and I love it. But I don't know any better being that BH209 is all I have ever used.

Guess I'm lucky...my buddy's gunshop is 4 blocks from my front door & he sells it to me for 30.00 a jar as long as I wait until he places large powder orders from the same distributor. It's a no brainer for me,..usually taking 5+ at a time. Most everyone in my group of friends that have tried the BH209 are always willing to take a jar or two if there is any extra. I can't see any gunshop not doing the same for their customers if it's a 100% guarantee the powder is sold before it's even ordered. Doing the math with the cost of the BH209 & the money I save using the less expensive shotgun 209 primers, and no need for constant swabbing (ya need materials for that too) it's dead even for me compared to 777.
You wouldn't book a 7 day, $10,000.00 elk hunt & go with 20.00 boots would ya? :D
If ya like the powder & it performs better, put a pencil to the whole thing. Might surprise yourself.

My hunting buddies have a good-ole time busting my chops about how:

"Lane's always tring the latest bullets, powder, primers....are,nt ya ever satisfied???!!!" "How much money have ya wasted on all that NEW STUFF anyway???"

That is till one of the biggest hecklers ran out of powder loads, and asked me if I had some ta spare :wink: I just happened ta have some spare tubes of 90g BH209. He asked me if it would be about the same as 100g of Shockey's Gold........I said OH YEA, it'l get ya there!

That same day he shot a BIG doe at a lasered 193 yards with THAT BH load and a 200g Shockwave 8)

Anyway... Like others have said, I don't have any other big dollar hobbies/vices. The only alcohol I buy is ta clean my guns with :D I cut my own hair-close to bald anyway, don't have a boat or ATV, heck I don't even own a truck! :lol: (My wife says the Suburban is her's). I never got into tobbacco....So look at all the money I've saved :p :D

So a case of BH209, seems like a real BARGAIN now 8) :wink:

To me price is the only issue, and since I get enough Cabelas bucks to get it free, that complaint goes away. Bottom line is I like it! No, it is not more accurate, but it is AS ACCUATE in my guns, and its other attributes are great.

And you know what, couple of weeks ago I shot, then got busy and didn't clean the gun for about 10 days. No problem!

Took an elk with it last year (90 gr BH209 and a 350 FPB) and am headed back this Thursday to see if I can repeat.

Guess I need to go with Txhunter...

The powder is the real deal - but it is to expensive...

I can get near the same performance from T7 and it has really worked for me... but if the price of T7 was near the price of BH (and I know in some places it is but around here it is still $20 a bottle retail) - I would probably go BH even though i would be getting less... or maybe I would go back t reloading and shoot centerfire I just do not know.

I wish I knew the real price of production of BH vs other smokelss powders.

sabotloader said:
I wish I knew the real price of production of BH vs other smokelss powders .

Now that would really open a can of worms....just gotta find somebody on the inside of production.... :shock: :wink:

lane

I know you know all about Trail Boss and it's cost...

But have you looked a IMR 4759? It is a bulky powder built like BH. round cylinder form.. yet look at it's price...

lane said:
sabotloader said:
I wish I knew the real price of production of BH vs other smokelss powders .

Now that would really open a can of worms....just gotta find somebody on the inside of production.... :shock: :wink:

I hope you can speak French! :lol: And I don't mean American French, French Canadian. :wink:

All kidding aside, BH209 is less expensive for me to buy per container. I know 777 has a pound, and BH209 is 10 oz. If I buy in a case of 10, I can have BH209 shipped to my door step for $29.90 per container. That includes Shipping, Handling, Haz-Mat as well.

777 loose powder is $29.99, 777 Pellets are $34.99 at Wal*Mart, and the closest one of those is 25-30 miles away. Now add in the gas (3 gallons in my truck = $7.50), time (1 hour driving time = PRICELESS), tax (6% = $1.80) to buy it and you have a cash total of $39.29 for 777 loose powder + my driving time/wear and tear on the truck per container if bought that way. I know I could have a case of 777 shipped to my door for less, but I just don't like it that much to buy it that way.

I think by now, everbody knows I love BH209 and although 777 is a good powder, it has several properties that I don't like when compared to BH209. If you look at the BIG PICTURE, crunch the numbers, it really comes down to preference.

I wonder how much it cost's to put a hole in a 777 Pellet? :wink:

Busta

Just had this conversation with Grouse also... He bought a bottle of T7 in his local market and he paid $29.?? for that bottlle, which really amazed me.

Locally around here or in the Northwest the most expensive retail on T7-2f is $24.95 at Wal-Mart of all places.... The local gun shops have for $18.95 to $22.95.... Why you guys pay that much retail I have not figured out...

But since you buy your BH on line thought I would check there also so we can compare mail order to mail order - no gas or wear and tear involved....

Cabelas (being the highest on most things) $26.99
Then
Midsouth - $20.43
Midway - $22.49
Powder Valley $18.40

So why you would pay near $30 per pound is beyond me. T7 loose is a decent propellent and is available for a lot less than you indicate.

Busta said:
I hope you can speak French! :lol: And I don't mean American French, French Canadian. :wink:

All kidding aside, BH209 is less expensive for me to buy per container. I know 777 has a pound, and BH209 is 10 oz. If I buy in a case of 10, I can have BH209 shipped to my door step for $29.90 per container. That includes Shipping, Handling, Haz-Mat as well.

777 loose powder is $29.99, 777 Pellets are $34.99 at Wal*Mart, and the closest one of those is 25-30 miles away. Now add in the gas (3 gallons in my truck = $7.50), time (1 hour driving time = PRICELESS), tax (6% = $1.80) to buy it and you have a cash total of $39.29 for 777 loose powder + my driving time/wear and tear on the truck per container if bought that way. I know I could have a case of 777 shipped to my door for less, but I just don't like it that much to buy it that way.

I think by now, everbody knows I love BH209 and although 777 is a good powder, it has several properties that I don't like when compared to BH209. If you look at the BIG PICTURE, crunch the numbers, it really comes down to preference.

I wonder how much it cost's to put a hole in a 777 Pellet? :wink:

Just in case you missed it the first time, I put it up in BOLD? I could give you several reasons why, but that horse has been beaten to death.

I am going out to shoot some sabotless .452" bullets out of my .45 caliber 1:20 Knight with 120 grV of BH209 at over 2300 FPS for the 250 grainers, and over 2200 FPS for the 300 grainers. Try that with 777, and let me know how that works out for you? :wink: I am trying to get rid of the sabot, it is the weakest link in High Speed Muzzleloading.

sabotloader said:
lane

I know you know all about Trail Boss and it's cost...

But have you looked a IMR 4759? It is a bulky powder built like BH. round cylinder form.. yet look at it's price...

Yep, it defies logic, that BH209 can't be produced at the same cost of regular smokeless powders :?
I can't help thinking that someone is making a bundle by selling 10oz of slow-burning smokeless for about $8.00 more, than a full POUND of IMR4759 :x

Back