Using the Accu-Shot or Mag Spark alternative nipple to shoot Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do any of you have any experience shooting the alternative nipple that uses a small rifle or small pistol primer to shoot powders like Blackhorn 209 in a sidelock muzzleloader like a .45 Pedersoli Mortimer or a Thompson/Center .50 or .54. These nipples are called Accu-Shot or MagSpark and have been around a long time, tho now hard to find, probably because of just such a use.
Mine has a flash hole considerably bigger than the .032" orifice of a modern inline's breechplug for shooting T7 or BH 209, it's hexagonal and .093" diameter. It seems this should be plugged and the tiny orifice drilled in the plug.
Also, for moderate charge of BH 209: shoot small rifle primer, or small pistol? Probably will only work if using a tight sabot, I realize.
Thanks, Ka'imiloa

I tried the Magspark on my sidelock (didn't use Blackhorn, was using triple seven). I had to stop using the Magspark because it would get stuck on the nipple for some reason. I had to use something to pry it off each time. I liked the ability to use a 209 primer, but it was massively inconvenient to pry it off after a shot, and I didn't want to damage the nipple or the Magspark.

BH209 is not recommended for sidelocks.
It sure is with a Mag spark allowing a 209 primer to fire absolutely any thing your using black/subs (ANYTHING )! I wish folks that don't know about the subject would refrain from commenting . I have used Mag sparks in 8 different TC Renegades and several H+A under hammers . They work fine in rain (sealed unit) with electrical tape on muzzle and with a cap (NO EROSION) like your percussion nipple/ cap!!! Lasts forever and will always light up what ever you have ,you might invest $30.00 in one and learn something. Ned Roberts used one like it back in the old days/Ed

I tried the Magspark on my sidelock (didn't use Blackhorn, was using triple seven). I had to stop using the Magspark because it would get stuck on the nipple for some reason. I had to use something to pry it off each time. I liked the ability to use a 209 primer, but it was massively inconvenient to pry it off after a shot, and I didn't want to damage the nipple or the Magspark.
In case you missed it ,again I will tell you just place the primer in your mouth /spit in the cap NO STICKING EVER!! I compete with one weekly 50-60 shots , been doing it for 13-14 yrs , regular CCI 209 s/Ed

It sounds like the 209 primer was getting stuck on in the Mag-Spark nipple after being fired. There are small differences in diameter and lenth of 209 primers from different makers, and even within the usual 100-primer batch of primers a person buys. But more importantly, several people on this forum have said that if you just put the 209 or small rifle primer in your mouth and get a little saliva on it, it won't stick plus will fire just fine. How this would work in a hunting situation with the primer in place for hours or even days is a hard call!
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

I really appreciate your including of the website, ElDiablo, and I immediately ordered the Mag-Spark because I don't know how a small rifle (or pistol) primer would work with BH 209 but I sure do know how a 209 primer works and also it is far easier to work with and hold or remove than a small rifle primer -- which requires a small tubular "loader" with the nipple I already have, which is apparently the Accu-Shot.
Also, Phil, the owner of Warren Custom Outdoor, immediately responded to my late-on-Friday email and said he would put the nipple in the mail first thing on Sat. morning (time to get it and try if before an important hunt was very short for me). Now that's great service!
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

In case you missed it ,again I will tell you just place the primer in your mouth /spit in the cap NO STICKING EVER!! I compete with one weekly 50-60 shots , been doing it for 13-14 yrs , regular CCI 209 s/Ed
Harley 469: What would you or others suggest as the primer lubricant when it is going to stay in the nipple for many hours, or even days, in a hunting situation?
Thanks and aloha, Ka'imiloa

My magsparks only take 209 primers. Didn't know they had made them for rifle/pistol primers also.
Apparently I have the Accu Shot nipple, since it is made for small rifle or small pistol primers. It has a slim brass tube about two inches long with it, to use as an applicator and possibly a remover, for the small primers.
I had the impression that the two nipple brands were the same, but apparently the Accu Shot uses the small rifle primers and the other (Mag Spark) uses the 209 shotgun primers.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

It sounds like the 209 primer was getting stuck on in the Mag-Spark nipple after being fired. There are small differences in diameter and lenth of 209 primers from different makers, and even within the usual 100-primer batch of primers a person buys. But more importantly, several people on this forum have said that if you just put the 209 or small rifle primer in your mouth and get a little saliva on it, it won't stick plus will fire just fine. How this would work in a hunting situation with the primer in place for hours or even days is a hard call!
Aloha, Ka'imiloa
Worked most of the regular season ,till late season when I finally saw a deer worth shooting . Started regular Nov 18th and pulled the trigger Jan 3rd I think /OE 3F 85 gr Taped muzzle closed ,pulled trigger deer died after big boom (stored outside) during seasons. I hunt most every day (RETIRED) /Ed

Worked most of the regular season ,till late season when I finally saw a deer worth shooting . Started regular Nov 18th and pulled the trigger Jan 3rd I think /OE 3F 85 gr Taped muzzle closed ,pulled trigger deer died after big boom (stored outside) during seasons. I hunt most every day (RETIRED) /Ed
I am new, and do not fully understand the taped muzzle, could you please explain that a bit, I do not want to do something dangerous.Safety is a concern.
Someone on the forum sighted that the only dumb questions are the ones not asked. I appreciate all the great information I have gotten from you and others on this sight. It has been a real eye opening. Thank -you....

I am new, and do not fully understand the taped muzzle, could you please explain that a bit, I do not want to do something dangerous.Safety is a concern.
Tape on the muzzle - most of us place a piece of electrical or duct tape (or something similar) over the muzzle after loading to keep any moisture or debris out while hunting. No need to remove before firing - just shoot through it.

Someone on the forum sighted that the only dumb questions are the ones not asked. I appreciate all the great information I have gotten from you and others on this sight. It has been a real eye opening. Thank -you....
Sure thing when you squeeze the trigger upon ignition ,1st thing happens is all that gas /pressure blows the tape off before the projectile gets to the muzzle . Until that happens you can hunt the entire season and as long as you have a Mag spark adapter with a 209 primer you are waterproof !! The only requirement is do not bring the rifle into a heated room or condensation happens , my gun stays outside in the garage or in the 4 wheeler from opening day till end of late season , thou I have always seen deer to kill but it has taken me longer some yrs . So keep your powder dry no matter what you use ,Mag Spark does that !!/Ed

Latest posts

Back