Sabot-less in the .50 cal Savage 10ML?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangeball

Reaction score
Are there any off the shelf bullets that can be shot without a sabot from the .50 cal savage like RB is doing with the .45 rebarrel?

Anyone know what the lands and grooves measure on the .50 savage?

Rangeball said:
Are there any off the shelf bullets that can be shot without a sabot from the .50 cal savage like RB is doing with the .45 rebarrel?

Anyone know what the lands and grooves measure on the .50 savage?

I suppose you could resize the Hawk 300 or 350 grain jaketed bullets but it would take a good resizing die.

The lands in the 10ML barrel are .504" to .505" in diameter so taking a .51" bullet to that size might be possible but it may not be practical.

For one thing the bullets have the aerodynamics of a blunt brick. You can change that by shooting a more conventional weight bullet but 50 caliber bullets of conventional weight run 425 to 600 grains! Ouch!

You can try the various conical bullets marketed to hunt in states like Colorado and Oregon where sabots are not allowed, or the slip-fit bullets for the White ML rifles. For example BP's "Colorado Conicals".

I have been looking at the data for the various .45 and .50 black powder cartridges from the 19C. Their BP charges ran from 70 to 120 grains, although once upon a time I had a .50-140 Sharps. Often the bullets were 300+ grains, and some were very long and heavy.

jim

Thanks.

RB, do you have a website for your savage pacnor .45 conversions? If yes could you please post or pm me a link?

Rangeball said:
Thanks.

RB, do you have a website for your savage pacnor .45 conversions? If yes could you please post or pm me a link?

I need one real bad. And if anyone wants to help me put one together.. well there could be some free gun work in it.

Damn the bad luck... My computer skills are pretty much limited to hunt and peck :(

I bet you get an offer to help from someone out there if they know you're looking.

Latest posts

Back