CVA Hawken 50cal. Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I read that you can use the Barnes T-EZ. Why a Thor is not legal baffles me? It's all copper. What do they expect you to use? No lead, no sabots. It sounds to me that they want you to use a copper conical. That's a Thor. What other copper conicals are there.?

California has always had there head up their ass and it's getting worse.

You really should know the laws in your state. It just took me 3 minutes to look up California Muzzleloader laws.

You can use the Barnes T-EZ. Just use those.

I do have a call into Department of fish and game for that zone of the hunt to just make sure

Good plan but what I found seemed to be statewide. Better be safe though.

With that 1:48 twist, I doubt it's going to shoot well with those barnes. Thors are 100% barnes bullets which will be approved for CA use, but again, you may have to invest in a sizer and resize the bullets to an even smaller diameter than the .500" they come in. These CVA Hawken will normally have a .498-.499 Bore diameter.

I keep forgetting it's a 1-48 twist. I have read guys using sabots in that twist. It might be worth a try.

Frontier gander your right I check when I got home with the Thor size pack and the .500 won’t go down the bore at all. So I have a call into California department of fish and game to get an answer on sabots in the muzzleloader draw tag area. So I hope I can use sabots or will have to use sabots in the regular deer season. I wish they would have just left the dam laws alone so we could just use plan old round balls. Thanks for the help

Smokeploe, I don't envy you trying to enjoy some BP hunting to put some delicious lean meat in your freezer in that state.
California lawmakers are certifiable bats**t crazy. I will never understand a mind set of wanting a government to "take care of me". Enforce the laws, keep the roads paved and butt out...that's my idea of government.

I know I've read about non lead roundballs before, but can't remember if there was a resource for them or if it was someone private just playing around with different materials. I do remember that the performance was nowhere near lead.
You're not going to be able to push a longer conical very hard in a slower 1:48 twist.

You folks need to take back your State and your rights from the idiots in Sacramento.
The way I read that you can use the Barnes T-EZ. Why a Thor is not legal baffles me? It's all copper. What do they expect you to use? No lead, no sabots. It sounds to me that they want you to use a copper conical. That's a Thor. What other copper conicals are there.?

California has always had there head up their ass and it's getting worse.
I think wooden clubs are also banned in Commiefornia, however in Pelosi's district, ANTIFA is allowed to beat the hell out of anyone that disagrees with these fascists!

They should let you use lead bullets like the rest of the world. What makes California so different?

Back