TC GreyHawk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDK

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Searched through the forums and did not find a ton of information….

I just picked up a 50 caliber TC Greyhawk in pristine condition. I’m not sure it’s ever been fired, and if it was, it was not much and meticulously maintained. All I can find in the bore is some dust and the gun is completely unmarked.

My almost 16 year old son and I hunt together with modern inline muzzleloaders, but I want to start him shooting some real BP guns. I’m going to add another percussion rifle and a flintlock as we go forward.

I have owned and shot older BP rifles with slow twists and PRB’s, and have recently become proficient with modern ML’s. This one is sort of in between so I had a few questions.

First off I“m looking for some load information. This gun will definitely join the hunting rotation, and I want to use only real BP and lead conicals. If I want to shoot saboted bullets with BH209 I have a matched pair of CVA Optima’s for that. I’m hoping to take my son out to shoot next weekend. I have the following so far:

1lb each of Goex 2F and Shuetzen 3F
Hornady Great Plains 385 gr bullets
TC Maxi Ball 370 gr bullets
RWS #11 1075 plus caps

Any tips on good starting points for charge volumes? Twist is 1:48

Any other bullets or loads to recomend?

I have no familiarity with Maxi Balls. It’s a sealed box that looks old. The label says to lube the grooves. I’m not going to kill a bear or a mink before next weekend, so what else can I use for lube?

I’m looking at the lace on sling from October Country. Good choice?

I would be glad to hear any other tips or info on this particular model, or see your pics/hear your hunting stories.

Attachments

• IMG_0838.jpeg
    IMG_0838.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0839.jpeg
    IMG_0839.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0840.jpeg
    IMG_0840.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0841.jpeg
    IMG_0841.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0842.jpeg
    IMG_0842.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
70-80 grains of either powder will likely be a good starting point. Looks like a nice rifle. Clean. Nice find!

The Grey Hawk is basically a SS New Englander, you might find more info on the New Englander by TC. I see you don't have a false muzzle (QLA) so that's a big plus! You might want to try a .490 round ball with a lubed patch. My Renegade 1:48 twist is super accurate with a round ball. I never had much luck other than plinking with the maxi balls. Never hurts to try them... You will get more answers I'm sure. Good Luck!

The Grey Hawk is basically a SS New Englander, you might find more info on the New Englander by TC. I see you don't have a false muzzle (QLA) so that's a big plus! You might want to try a .490 round ball with a lubed patch. My Renegade 1:48 twist is super accurate with a round ball. I never had much luck other than plinking with the maxi balls. Never hurts to try them... You will get more answers I'm sure. Good Luck!
Thanks Steve

I’m going to work with the Great Plains Bullets first, and am not sure about even trying the Maxi Balls. I have yet to hear much of anything good about them.

I'd recommend starting at 60 grains of 3f v, under a .490 ball. You could get pre-cut patches. I'd go with .015" and maybe some .018" just to see which fits better. Too loose isn't good and you don't want so tight that you have to hammer em down the barrel.
One of my favorite bullets is the Hornady PA conical. 240 grains. Very accurate out of my sidelocks.
You'll have to experiment to find the best load but that's the fun of it.
Good shooting.

Thanks Steve

I’m going to work with the Great Plains Bullets first, and am not sure about even trying the Maxi Balls. I have yet to hear much of anything good about them.
The maxies work great ,make sure you lube the bottom groove(ONLY) and hope they are pure , if not The Great plains in pure works great also . And what ever you do with either use a over the powder , I use a Dura Felt wad that I make . Even a card will work but the base is what steers the conical and a ding/gas cutting ruins accuracy /Ed

I had one of them for years. Was a solid shooter. I shot only 2 load combo's. 60 gr 3 F Black powder. Other was Real bullets same charge. I got the urge with help to convert a Handi-rifle to a sml. So i sold it & a N Englander to get needed funds. Wish i had never sold them.

Thanks for the replies all. My percussion caps got delayed until Monday so we are going to take the Optmas today and work with the side lock next weekend. I will put up some more pics and results when we do….

I'd recommend starting at 60 grains of 3f v, under a .490 ball. You could get pre-cut patches. I'd go with .015" and maybe some .018" just to see which fits better. Too loose isn't good and you don't want so tight that you have to hammer em down the barrel.
One of my favorite bullets is the Hornady PA conical. 240 grains. Very accurate out of my sidelocks.
You'll have to experiment to find the best load but that's the fun of it.
Good shooting.
I will look into the PA conical so thanks for suggesting it. The 385 grain GP’s may be a bit of overkill for deer at the shorter ranges we get up here. A 240 grain option may be good to have.

i own a TC Greyhawk in .54 caliber. I shoot patched round ball and Goex 2F. It is accurate and does the job at 50-100 yards.

My t/c 50 shot "No excuses" (several weights especially well were 495 grain .500 diameter) really well with schuetzen 3f 80 grains (the over powder wad makes a big difference). You have a nice rifle there! should give you great service.

My t/c 50 shot "No excuses" (several weights especially well were 495 grain .500 diameter) really well with schuetzen 3f 80 grains (the over powder wad makes a big difference). You have a nice rifle there! should give you great service.
Thank you for the info!

I just ordered a sizing pack from no excuses.

Latest posts

Back