Well its time for another pellet....i guess

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use loose powder in a speed loader, wipe the tube with a dryer sheet to avoid static cling of the powder in the tube. I have been using bh209 in speed loaders for years and works great.

I agree. The only way to load pellets as fast as a speed loader is to use a speed loader with the pellets so where is the supposed advantage.
I suspect the only advantage is they come in a sealed package which keeps the moisture out, been enough reports of fizzles and streamering they new they had to do something. Unless they changed the components to eliminate wiping every shot and crud-ring 777 is probably going to fade out anyway.

Pellets are definitely handier and have there place . Probably 90 percent of inline hunters use pellets for their convenience. I really don't understand why pellets are hated so much . In most cases lose powder has a accuracy edge over pellets but then again the average Hunter does not care. I personally like to be able to find time my loads with loose powder . But I have seen some unbelievable groups shot with pellets and sabots . It can be done .

Encore 50 if you take the steps to ensure the pellets do not collect moisture can you keep your ES down ? That's my biggest hang up with pellets my extreme spreads are to much for longer range shooting .

My dislike for them has been simple.

They crack, chip easily and weight varies too much. Crush a pellet or two in a 3 pellet load and you could have a 40kpsi load on your hands.

Pellets that are in boxes are very poorly sealed from humidity.

Price per shot is more than Blackhorn209 when you take velocity into account.

Powder tubes make loose just as easy to load in the field in most situations. You would need to be laying down for pellets to be easier to load than loose.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Pellets are definitely handier and have there place . Probably 90 percent of inline hunters use pellets for their convenience. I really don't understand why pellets are hated so much . In most cases lose powder has a accuracy edge over pellets but then again the average Hunter does not care. I personally like to be able to find time my loads with loose powder . But I have seen some unbelievable groups shot with pellets and sabots . It can be done .

Encore 50 if you take the steps to ensure the pellets do not collect moisture can you keep your ES down ? That's my biggest hang up with pellets my extreme spreads are to much for longer range shooting .

All pellets that I use are in the basement on one of the loading benches and always in a strict humidity controled area. I have 2 cases of pellets on the rack as I type, which I've had for one year now. As you know, injury kept me from almost all shooting the entire last year, but I have perfect confidence in the 2 cases of pellets this next spring when I can shoot again. I purchased I don't know how many of the Lane's tubes, which give a perfect seal. Bullet in a sabot goes in first, then pellets and have yet to have an issue. So yes, any reduction or exposure to moisture benefits.
As I stated earlier, my opinions towards pellets have change some since shooting the BP Xpress rifle. Like many others, I would never have believed shooting pellets from any rifle could give the repeated accuracy at distance I've gotten.

After 25 years of using loose powder, I've converted to pellets for a 2018 experiment - which began abruptly and fared well during December 2017's hunting season.
So far - so good.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Can't be bad with some of the groups you have shot at long range !

If you're interested, I'll know more after the club's range opens this spring. I had more problems than it was worth with the Leupold VX6, which Leupold owns again. Last fall I had had the new scope off and needed a 100yd zero for when the hunting season opened. First 3 rounds could be covered with a dime. I think you seen the target? Two things happened when I was making a final adjustment, 1-the dog was let out and came full bore to the bench with me and 2-while that happened I was in the middle of setting the zero stop. Distracted and over adjusted, so I walked it to its final 100yd zero, again dime size. The true test will be with the new scope and exactly one year old pellets, or at least a year old from the time I bought them at long ranges this spring.
This rifle has no doubt changed.. some ..of my mind set about pellets. Very few shooters shoot like a few of us do, which doesn't mean anything bad, but many of the "extended season hunters" may not shoot either the best equipment, shoot often enough, take care of, or maybe are only mediocre shots to begin with. This lends me to assume that not all of the actual or perceived issues with pellets are completely justified.

ENCORE50A said:
Busta said:
..............Pellets aren't any easier to use in the field than Blackhorn 209 powder if they are both in speed loaders......

Hummmm........ try that with a brake.

I wouldn't own a muzzleloader with a brake. Problem solved!

My buddy shoots pyro pellets and he has a knight and an omega that drive tacks with them. But he got lucky that both ended up liking 2 pellet loads.

Beyond the load dialing in issue....the main issues I have is cost (if you shoot alot), and if you don't shoot alot, they have a much higher chance of going bad.
I have heard that you can put them in a dehydrator, and I actually did it one time on a box I was given (before I gave them to my buddy). No idea if it helped or not.

I'll stick to my loose, its not harder to work with than pellets - to me. I pre-load all my loads in lanes tubes...pretty simple.

ENCORE50A said:
Dougs136Schwartz said:

All pellets that I use are in the basement on one of the loading benches and always in a strict humidity controled area. I have 2 cases of pellets on the rack as I type, which I've had for one year now. As you know, injury kept me from almost all shooting the entire last year, but I have perfect confidence in the 2 cases of pellets this next spring when I can shoot again. I purchased I don't know how many of the Lane's tubes, which give a perfect seal. Bullet in a sabot goes in first, then pellets and have yet to have an issue. So yes, any reduction or exposure to moisture benefits.
As I stated earlier, my opinions towards pellets have change some since shooting the BP Xpress rifle. Like many others, I would never have believed shooting pellets from any rifle could give the repeated accuracy at distance I've gotten.
ENCORE50A,
Are the Cases somehow sealed that those pellets are packed in or are they just packed in a cardboard box? Do you vacuum pack them? I never saw how they were packed in the cases, so just curious.

With 777 pellets you use to be stuck with shooting either 100 or a 150grs. If your gun liked it great and if it didn’t tuff. But now with 30gr, 50gr and 60gr pellets you can mix it up. You can shoot 90,100,110,120,130,140 or 150 what ever your gun likes.

My Prohunter and CVA Optima V2 both like shooting a 150grs and that’s what I prefer to shoot. I have 2 boxes of 777 50gr pellets and I keep them in a gallon zip lock bag with a paper towel in it. I keep them in a big plastic shooting box with all my muzzeloader stuff in my archery/reloading/gun room inside the house. One box is from last year and one is new from this year. You can pick from either box you want and my Prohunter will shoot 3 shots under a inch and the CVA will shoot 3 shots under 1.5ins.

With pellets I can take 1 Tc u-view 3 tube loader. With 4 primers and 3 full loads (powder/bullets) and stick it in my pocket and head in the woods. That’s all I need just 1 thing. If I have a probablem in the woods or it’s nasty weather conditions and I want to clean over night. I can pull my breech plug and push everything out the back. Probablem solved and gun clean easy as that.

With loose powder even carrying lanes tube you have 4-6 tubes, patch puller, bullet puller and what ever else you need. If you have a probablem in the woods you can’t pull the plug and dump loose powder out because then you have a hell of a mess.

Pellets are easier no matter how much you say there not they are. Most average normal hunters don’t worry about the price because they don’t shoot much. They check the sites before season and hunt. A box of pellets may last them 2 or 3yrs so price don’t have anything to do with it for the average joe Hunter. The small 24pks of pellets for 13-14 bucks will probably get the aver joe by from year to year.

The pellets are in a hard plastic box. Put the box in a gallon zip lock bag with a paper towel in it. Get all the air you can out of the bag and seal it up the paper towel with take care of any moisture.

ShawnT said:
ENCORE50A,
Are the Cases somehow sealed that those pellets are packed in or are they just packed in a cardboard box? Do you vacuum pack them? I never saw how they were packed in the cases, so just curious.

They come in a cardboard box, 12 per box. I've never vacuum packed them. I keep the humidity level very low.

ENCORE50A said:
ShawnT said:
ENCORE50A,

They come in a cardboard box, 12 per box. I've never vacuum packed them. I keep the humidity level very low.

What pellets are you shooting that come in a card board box? Only thing I can think of is IMR white shots but there still in a sealed plastic tube I believe.

WPrather said:
ENCORE50A said:
ShawnT said:
ENCORE50A,

What pellets are you shooting that come in a card board box? Only thing I can think of is IMR white shots but there still in a sealed plastic tube I believe.
He buys the pellets by the case not the individual boxes.

Back