Triple7 Firestar Pellets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
2018-h10.jpg

2018_h10.jpg

January 8, 2018

Hodgdon® announces Triple Seven® FireStar™
Hodgdon, The Brand That’s True®, is pleased to announce a unique new solution for muzzleloader hunters and shooters, the Hodgdon Triple Seven FireStar pellet.

This new pellet is designed for modern, 50-caliber inline muzzleloaders used with 209 primers. The revolutionary, star-shaped geometric design features longitudinal grooves that provide more surface area for ignition. The outcome of this unique shape is a pellet that is cleaner burning, resulting in the suppression of “crud ring” development, as well as produces higher velocity, delivering up to 50 feet per second increase over similar 100-grain equivalent loads. With this pellet, three pellets are a 100-grain equivalent load.

“We set out to design a pellet that addressed the residue issue,” reports Tim Vaitekunas, vice president of product development at Hodgdon. “After our extensive testing, we realized we had a winner in that it burns cleaner and delivers higher velocities. This pellet is already responsible for taking multiple game animals in 2017 through our testing processes and we’re excited to get it into our customer’s hands for the 2018 hunting season.”

The new FireStar pellet is available to ship in February, 2018 and should be found at most retailers who specialize in muzzleloader products. The pellet is available in a 60-count clamshell that can hang on a peg or set on a shelf.

Learn more about the product on the Hodgdon website at www.hodgdon.com.

About Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc.
Established in 1947 by Bruce and Amy Hodgdon, today, sons JB and Bob have grown Hodgdon Powder Company into the largest US supplier of smokeless, blackpowder and blackpowder substitute propellants. The company distributes gunpowder under the Hodgdon®, IMR®, Winchester® and Goex® brands.

For the shooters that love pellets I think they will really enjoy the suppression of “crud ring” development.

Did you see that it takes 3 pellets in order to equal 100gr of loose powder? WTF

I'm sure I'll try them being a t7 pellet shooter, for shame, lol. the only thing that bothers me about the t7 pellets is worrying about shelf life, so I shoot them all up every year or try to and I check the manufacture date when I buy them.

I do get a heck of a crud ring too so I have gone to swabbing between shots with those presoaked TC patches. the pellets are more convenient when unloading an inline too, you dont get granules in the breech plug threads in the bottom of the barrel. I like a fresh load in there for each hunt. And I like seeing the t7 in plastic tubes, they should have done that a long time ago for shelf life reasons due to moisture.

redear said:
I do get a heck of a crud ring too so I have gone to swabbing between shots with those presoaked TC patches. the pellets are more convenient when unloading an inline too, you dont get granules in the breech plug threads in the bottom of the barrel. I like a fresh load in there for each hunt. And I like seeing the t7 in plastic tubes, they should have done that a long time ago for shelf life reasons due to moisture.
There's a cure for not getting loose powder in the threads when removing a load. Turn the gun barrel down. Unscrew the breech plug and push the load out the muzzle. Clean threads.

The V.P. refers to this as a "solution".  To what?  If it is referring to "solving" the crud ring problem then maybe..... I've used Triple 7 pellets (a long time ago) in an in-line rifle with <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> percussion cap ignition and I had perfect and instantaneous firing. If these "light easier" why do they say they are for 209 Primer ignition systems?  Also, by the time you stack the 3 pellets you've lost 2-inches of barrel length not including the projectile. Loose powder takes up about a half inch of .50 barrel with a hunting load and then a .50 PRB would only take up 1" total. I don't need the alleged extra 50 fps these might give, but couldn't be more if they were shorter?  I like new ideas and concepts, especially in muzzleloading where there are few, but these don't seem to be necessary. If they had a list of even 3 advantages I'd think they'd appeal to a lot of people but cutting down on the crud ring is all I see. 50 fps is negligible and then you need 3 pellets stacked over 2" tall to get that.  Seems the pros and cons wipe out each other.

Back