Well its time for another pellet....i guess

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
They have been mentioned a couple times but now they are listed on the Hodgdon website. The NEW Triple7 Firestar pellet. Not sure how new it really is (chemically) without a SDS to compare. Its currently not working.

https://www.hodgdon.com/triple-seven-firestar-pellets/

Cleaner Burning – More shots between cleaning
Higher Velocity – Gain up to 50 FPS
More Efficient – Longitudinal grooves provide more surface area for ignition

2018-hodgdon-triple-seven-firestar-pellet2-1024x683.jpg

2018-hodgdon-triple-seven-firestar-package-front-683x1024.jpg

A quick search for pricing is $22-30/60 pellets. Just as a reference BlueMZ pellets are $19/48, Whitehots are $24/72 and the Firestars are $22/60 at Grafs. $29/100 for the original T7 pellets so they dont appear to be terribly out of line in price.

I do recall these, wonder if the timing is 'something new' for the SHOT show in 2 weeks?
Wonder what else in the ML world will be new in 2018?

yes it does. I enlarged the photo, and thought so, then went to link, and the description says 3 pellets =100 grn. More than that is going to be an awfully long powder column. Guns that shoot 150-200 grn charges will loose half the barrel

the description here says 3=100 https://ironcityarmory.com/shop/blackpowder/hodgdon-powder-company-hod-triple-7-firestar-pellets/

pyrodex, just says the name on the powder (by hodgdon)
this is labeled triple seven firestar, then hodgdon way down low in the fine print. It must be some slight variant of seven.

I know I read where Blackhorn 209 said they was not interested in making pellets but it seems like a really stupid business decision to me. Business decisions are supposed to be made on profit. They would sell a absolute butt load of them. Every body would know who Blackhorn 209 is and profits would triple selling to the masses.

They either can’t figure out how make pellets or they are to exspensive to sell. Or there just not real smart business guys.

Yep. That would be $1.20 a shot just for the powder. Im shooting bh209 for 50 cents a shot.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I thiunk Western Powder has a pretty decent product as is. Pellet people need to get over themselves and the shortcomings that pellets offer if they want the best.

MrTom said:
I thiunk Western Powder has a pretty decent product as is. Pellet people need to get over themselves and the shortcomings that pellets offer if they want the best.

I don’t really think pellet people are the ones that need to get over themselves! It sounds to me people like YOU DO! The only person doing any judging here is you.

Pellets have there advantages over loose powder for some people and in some situations. For example I trust my son at 15-16yrs old just starting to hunt by himself with pellets a lot more than I would with loose powder. After he’s got more exsperience and killed more deer loose powder would be fine but pellets are better for now. Pellets are a lot quicker and easier weather you like it or not.

As far as short comings go some guns like pellets. My Prohunter with 3 50gr 777 pellets will shoot a 3 shot group under a inch at a 100yds with a clean barrel. All I need is my gun and 1 3 shot TC u-view speed loader with 3 shots and head tp the woods.

Yeah, nope.
I was thinking even at 2 pellets per shot it would be expensive. If it takes 3, I don't see that being a great seller. Heck you can shoot 2 Mag T7 pellets and it would almost be about 4 of these. LOL

I'll stick with my loose powders :yeah:

MrTom said:

After many years of "similar feelings" about pellets, not the people, I'm not quite convinced that pellets have as much or many shortcomings as the actual shooters themselves do. I'm not saying that loose propellant isn't better, what I'm saying is, many who are using pellets cause or create their own problems. If pellets are stored sensibly, and shot from a quality rifle with a quality scope, they're just fine and can be extremely accurate with the right bullet.

I can’t really ever remember reading or hearing a pellet guy ever putting down a loose powder shooter. But you don’t have to look very hard to find a loose powder guy putting down a pellet guy. Who gives a crap what anybody uses it’s good for are sport if there out there hunting.

If it gets more people in the woods I’m all for it. Nobody really knows the numbers so this is just a guess. But 8-9 people out 10 black powder hunters hunting today are shooting pellets. By far the vast majority of people are.

WPrather said:
I know I read where Blackhorn 209 said they was not interested in making pellets but it seems like a really stupid business decision to me. Business decisions are supposed to be made on profit. They would sell a absolute butt load of them. Every body would know who Blackhorn 209 is and profits would triple selling to the masses.

They either can’t figure out how make pellets or they are to exspensive to sell. Or there just not real smart business guys.

They have been making pellets since day one. It just takes a lot more of them is all. You just need to look a little closer.

Not close enough? How's this?

Pellets aren't any easier to use in the field than Blackhorn 209 powder if they are both in speed loaders. However, they are much more expensive to use.

Attachments

• images (2).jpeg
    images (2).jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 641
  • images (2)-1.jpg
    images (2)-1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 641
If Hodgdon would show Blackhorn a close up of there piles and piles of cash there making of selling pellets. The guys at Blackhorn would probably start scratching their heads and re-evaluating their business plan!lol

I used pellets and never had a problem except the crud ring. I now use loose BH209 cause I like it and it works good for me. Like I tell my kids, shoot whatever makes you happy.

Back