Smoke gun off-season storage...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst thing you can do to a BPML is let it sit a long time. I like to go through my guns and look them over for rust at the least once a month but I wind up getting them out to shoot or show off more than that. It really doesn't take much moisture in the air to cause rust on unprotected steel, especially a ML bore. I used to think I was fine because I would clean and dry the bore then mop thoroughly with T/C Bore Butter and put away. Bore Butter dries out and loses it's coating ability. Worst one was a .54 Lyman trade gun that had a fine red rust in the bore after 6 months. It cleaned up well but I dont use Bore Butter for preservation any more and I check my guns fairly frequently. I like to swab the bore with Fluid Film on a patch and then use the patch to wipe down the outside metal. No rust.

Got me to thinking; mine are about due for a physical and a bore check.

i've never had any problem with black powder or any other guns rusting. My guns were untouched by human hands for up to two years while i worked overseas. None ever rusted.

After a thorough cleaning i simply swab the bore with a patch wet with Militec 1.

Too much is better than too little😁
Pay attention to what Falcon just said. I have done the same thing with the same results. We don't turn everything in to Rocket Science. Keep it clean and Keep it Simple.

Moose Milk, and Bore Butter...Now it is not a one time done I rod the bore butter 4-5 weeks it allows, hands on inspections makes sure I do not get lonely hahahahahahh Shows pretty much my run for storage and cleaning, I add bore butter afterwards and check once a month or so.

Back