Over Powder Wads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rost495

Reaction score
Hi - moved this from the newbie column to here hoping for extra help maybe? Also in the newbie column I have a question about REAL bullets being almost impossible to start in my 54 Renegade. Help there is appreciated also.

About to start seriously messing with my 54 Renegade and bullet tests. I have overpowder wads I'll be using with any heavy bullet and 100 grains or more of powder.

What is the correct way to use them? And how to use them in a speed loader?

Thanks, Jeff

I went and read your posts on the wads and R.E.A.L. conicals in the newbie section. Also I own four .54 caliber Renegades and shoot R.E.A.L. conicals that I cast in them.

First off the R.E.A.L. stands for rifling engaged at loading. The top band on them is the band that engages the rifling. While I have to use a short starter and smack them to get them under the crown of the rifling, I've never remembered using a mallet on them.

I am guessing that the lead your friend got was not pure. It normally takes a short smack on a short starter, which should engrave that easy and send it down the barrel. All four of mine are like that.

What kind of lube are you using on the conicals? Is it bore butter or homemade. Bore butter works well. I personally make my own lube from castor oil and bees wax.

I'd tell you to try some maxiball or R.E.A.L. conicals from http://www.blackjackhill.com/ Bill Davis does some nice casting out of pure lead and they are excellent bullets. The trouble is, last time I ordered from him it took a month to get the maxiball from him. Bill was a small time bullet caster until he got known from the internet postings. Now to keep up, he was forced to quit his other job and is casting full time. The trouble is, he's behind on a lot of his orders. Although Judy (his wife) and him are working their tail off trying to get them out. If you don't mind the wait, order some from him. Maxiball and R.E.A.L. and see if he has some of the REAL in 300 grain. They shoot best out of my .54's. Send him an e-mail and talk to him. Tell him Cayugad sent you.

As for the wads, you can get some excellent pre lubed from http://www.rmcsports.com/catalog.htm . Search them under the term "Wonder Wads." My understanding is they bought out Ox Yoke and they are now doing all the wads. They are an excellent lubed wad.

Or you can get some fiber wads in a #1000 pack from Track of the Wolf. You do not have to lube the fiber wads. As with any wad, just dump your powder charge. Then put a wad in the barrel. At this point some seat the wad first, others drive it down with the projectile. Your choice on there. Then put the projectile in and seat the whole works.

In three of my Renegades, I shoot 80 grains of Goex 2f a wonderwad and a 300 grain R.E.A.L. or a maxiball and get excellent accuracy. My other Renegade will just not shoot a concial at all for some reason. But you load 90 grains of Goex 2f and a .530 patched roundball and you can knock snot out of anything you like out to 100 yards.

Dave

Thanks for the input. I'll do some more shooting in another week or so and see how it goes. Right now I'm leavign the barrel fouled IE not cleaned for over a week to test the new micro slik coating vs rust in the tube. So far so good.

I was at 100 grains and even there with 430 TC bullets and all seemed ok. Not great but ok. May have to back down some though. We'll see.

I'd hate to have to fall back to a ball but only time will tell. I'd feel like I was restricted to 100 yards and no angling shots with a ball....

Jeff

Dave

Thanks for the input. I'll do some more shooting in another week or so and see how it goes. Right now I'm leavign the barrel fouled IE not cleaned for over a week to test the new micro slik coating vs rust in the tube. So far so good.

I was at 100 grains and even there with 430 TC bullets and all seemed ok. Not great but ok. May have to back down some though. We'll see.

I'd hate to have to fall back to a ball but only time will tell. I'd feel like I was restricted to 100 yards and no angling shots with a ball....

Jeff

I have no idea what this "micro slik coating vs rust in the tube" thing is about. I personally would not leave my rifle dirty, but if it is working for you ... all the better.

100 grains and a 430 grain T/C Maxi Ball is a lot of push. I usually shoot them around 80 grains. Also the old rule of thumb is, if the conical has a flat bottom then you can use a wad. If the conical has a hollow bottom, then do not use a wad.

Roundball have a lot of penetration from what I have observed. If all you were hunting is deer, I would say you would be fine with roundball. I shot a lot of deer with them and they never moved too far after being hit.

Have you ever tried 405 grain PowerBelts out of the rifle. They actually shoot pretty good with 90 grains of Goex 2f under them. I got a bunch of them on sale and was shooting them one day. Very impressive load.

Dave

I hate cleaning so bad. I've been a competitive shooter for many years and I'd rather load ammo all year than clean. And loading ammo isnt' my idea of fun either when you are loading up to 20K rounds a year.

So Fit 4 Duty has this coating that will keep corrosion from blackpowder or its synthethic forms for at least 2 weeks or more. Very resistant to saltwater etc...

What I'm doing is shooting the gun a bunch and then going without cleaning in about 4 day increments and I'm up to a week right now, trying to go 2 weeks and see what gives.

Reason being is since I hate cleaning, I want to be sure if I load up and happen to fire a round and may not be getting back to the vehicle on a backpack hunt, for up to 10 days, that I dont' have to get all the crap out to clean with. I don't mind swabbing wet and dry here and there, but full cleaning sucks. I'm used to shooting up to 500 rounds of center fire without having to clean.

Lazy I suspect.

If the gun shoots well enough I'll have the outside coated too so I dont' have to worry about rain etc.....

Round balls suck in my opinion. I've lost a couple of animals in round ball in my 45s. Good hits on video, tons of blood, I'm a bowhunter from way back and know how to trail etc.... Have followed only tracks and such with no blood over a half mile to find a dead deer and so on. Went to buffalo conicals in the 45 and never had another problem. So with elk I don't want to shoot a ball.

And I dont' really care for power belts but may be forced to try them. Something about a sidelock that cries real lead in a way. Now in my Encore for long shots out to 300 for deer sabots and good bullets are the rule.... I'm kinda weird about things.

I'll be sure to test out around 80 grains of 2F dupont next go round.

Thanks again for your time.

Jeff

Well that coating sounds really interesting.. keep us posted on how it works for you.

In Wisconsin where I hunt, we are lucky to get a 100 yard shot at most. Now when I hunted in the southern end of the state, we had open corn fields and longer shots were the rule of thumb. In the northern end of the state I think my longest shot was 85 yards.

As for roundball power, I think the caliber is very inportant when using them. Many people feel a .50 caliber is plenty, and it might be, but I like a .54 caliber or bigger.

Actually to give you an idea of penetration power of a .54 caliber and 80 grains of Pyrodex RS at the time with a patched roundball, I once shot through a deer at 80 yards and broke the spine of a second deer I never saw, that was standing behind the first one. Both of the deer dropped in their tracks.

That coating is interesting...

Cleaning my muzzleloaders has never been one of my favorite jobs either. I do clean very thoroughly each time I shoot. I clean with hot soapy water swabbing till patches are clean. Then rinse with HOT water and set aside to dry. When dry I proceed to clean again with solvents again till the patches are clean. If I have been shooting sabots I then use CVA Bore Blaster. I then oil the barrel inside and out and am finished. This all takes a half hour to 45 minutes. I just keep in mind I paid hard earned money for that rifle and want it to last my grandson his lifetime.

rost495 - is this micro silk coating the same as "black ice" I have heard others talk about. I thought about sending a rifle in and getting a barrel done with black ice.

Also do not under estimate that roundball out of your rifle. Placed in the right spot that thing will do a lot of damage. I've shot a lot of deer with roundball. Two of them once... a mistake, but it happened.

Good luck hunting with this season.

Latest posts

Back