Muzzle break on Patriot ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wa 50/50 before and now I'm %90 on board with a MB . What is the difference between one with a timing nut and one without ? Mark said if it uses a nut I have to send it in for him to tap the barrel . I didn't ask but does that mean I could only use that one MB ? Would one without a nut be more universal ? I'd much rather get the barrel threaded and get a MB when I'm ready . Is there a thread count/size that's universal ?

I'm out with the lady so I'll look at arrowheads MB when I get home . What other brands or models should I consider ? I already have a pair of walker Excell 500s for hearing protection .
you need a nut for timing when you need to line up the ports, like on the MZ Rex. A radial ported brake wouldn't need timing, therefore no timing nut. The timing nut also serves another function, a shoulder for the brake to tighten against. The muzzle diameter on the Patriot is too small to have a shoulder, and I'm not custom timing brakes, it's more work and kill's our production. I prefer 3/4-24 threads, I have nuts made for this.

wow ! that T rex reminds me of SHAFT , i'ts A bad ... SHUT YO MOUTH ......... but i'm talking bout rex ...
i like the pricing and visual looks of most of hanks MBs

fishdfly this is what i already have for hearing protection .
https://www.walkersgameear.com/xcel-500bt-digital-electronic-muff-w-voice-clarity-bluetooth/

i didn't know there were different sizes and tpi . so 3/4x24tpi is kind of a universal fit ? is that what size/tpi most of you are using ? if so should i just let mark know that's what i want to go with ? if i get a hanks i'll just need to tell him i'll need it to fit 3/4x24tpi and everything should be beautiful fit wise ?
and i'll need a thread protector and a powder funnel to use with it also , correct ?

and i'm gonna stick with radial since i won't be laying down shooting .
Many of Hankins brakes are not drilled out to size. He sends them drilled about .20 and you may need to drill them to what you want. They aren’t so easy to drill either.

Many of Hankins brakes are not drilled out to size. He sends them drilled about .20 and you may need to drill them to what you want. They aren’t so easy to drill either.
5/8-24 can also be a good option, depending on barrel diameter. I install quite a few 5/8-24 on .40 cal SML. Timing the brake typically takes me an extra 10-15 minutes while threading as opposed to a self timing brake. Not a big deal, but if you are building in large numbers perfectly reasonably to not time brakes and go with self timing.

you need a nut for timing when you need to line up the ports, like on the MZ Rex. A radial ported brake wouldn't need timing, therefore no timing nut. The timing nut also serves another function, a shoulder for the brake to tighten against. The muzzle diameter on the Patriot is too small to have a shoulder, and I'm not custom timing brakes, it's more work and kill's our production. I prefer 3/4-24 threads, I have nuts made for this.

thanks Mark . i'm %100 sure i want the end threaded for a 3/4-24 MB since you prefer that and it's been recommended . i was heavily leaning towards a radial brake but since you have a nut i may go with a tactical brake . is your timing nut %100 compatible to line up properly with most reputable tactical MBs ? or is it just simpler and safer accuracy wise to stick with a radial version for someone with zero gunsmithing skills ?

anyone care to comment on the recoil mitigation of a tactical vs radial version MB ?
is there a length or number of holes/slots that's a sweet spot for recoil mitigation ? or simply the longer and more venting the better ?
much thanks to all who have replied :)

BTW is GM54 OK ? i'm talking about spending money and one of the forums elite enablers hasn't showd up yet :( .

Chuckling at that last line, Jeff. “Elite enabler” should be an official title for some here.

Get a side-port and a radial and try them for yourself. I’ve got a radial I’ll be testing soon (when someone finished nitriding it for me 😊).

i'd much prefer one that's nitrided to match the gun and i'd really like to keep it under a C note shipped .
i was planning on taking it off when hunting , here in Va we can shoot deer .... but i think it's against the law to scare them to death if i miss them with my shot 😈

talked with Mark today . he's gonna start making muzzle brakes soon so he gonna thread it 3/4-24 and make a radial for it and get it nitrided .
im 61 with a bad back and replaced knee and hip so no way will i be laying down to shoot and getting up to reload and laying back down to shoot over and over . those tacticals with a nut get pricey real quick also !

thanks for the replies folks :)

wow ! that T rex reminds me of SHAFT , i'ts A bad ... SHUT YO MOUTH ......... but i'm talking bout rex ...
i like the pricing and visual looks of most of hanks MBs

fishdfly this is what i already have for hearing protection .
https://www.walkersgameear.com/xcel-500bt-digital-electronic-muff-w-voice-clarity-bluetooth/

i didn't know there were different sizes and tpi . so 3/4x24tpi is kind of a universal fit ? is that what size/tpi most of you are using ? if so should i just let mark know that's what i want to go with ? if i get a hanks i'll just need to tell him i'll need it to fit 3/4x24tpi and everything should be beautiful fit wise ?
and i'll need a thread protector and a powder funnel to use with it also , correct ?

and i'm gonna stick with radial since i won't be laying down shooting .
Just a quick thought. Muzzleloaders are slow. It wouldn’t take much additional time to fire, remove the brake (in this case, it’s only on finger-tight), reload, replace the brake, and fire again. That way you wouldn’t have to fuss with a funnel, or anything else. I see no downside here.

Just a quick thought. Muzzleloaders are slow. It wouldn’t take much additional time to fire, remove the brake (in this case, it’s only on finger-tight), reload, replace the brake, and fire again. That way you wouldn’t have to fuss with a funnel, or anything else. I see no downside here.
I'll use the funnel. Removing and reinstalling the brake that much wouldn't be a good idea and hard on the threads.

You may end up wanting a load-through funnel. Trying to drop a sabot or bullet down the brake and get it started straight may not be ideal.

i thought funnels were just for powder ...... thanks for the heads up on the different version ;)
is there a budget friendly one you (or anyone else) would recommend for .45 ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back