Muzzle break on Patriot ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
I have a 45 Patriot with a brux barrel ordered and I'm considering getting it tapped for a muzzle break because it is a light weight gun . I'd want one that does not use a timing nut . What are your thoughts on this ? I told mark I would let him know for sure Thursday . Thanks folks

I wa 50/50 before and now I'm %90 on board with a MB . What is the difference between one with a timing nut and one without ? Mark said if it uses a nut I have to send it in for him to tap the barrel . I didn't ask but does that mean I could only use that one MB ? Would one without a nut be more universal ? I'd much rather get the barrel threaded and get a MB when I'm ready . Is there a thread count/size that's universal ?

I'm out with the lady so I'll look at arrowheads MB when I get home . What other brands or models should I consider ? I already have a pair of walker Excell 500s for hearing protection .

There are a lot of decent brakes being built, copied, and along with some that are nothing more than a POS.

Make your mind up as to rather a tactical brake or radial. If you do any prone shooting, I'd recommend the tactical. A radial shooting prone will blow dust and dirt everywhere.

I know of no other brake builder that tests prototype brakes the way LR Customs tests brakes. Yes, brakes are loud but, if the brake is built properly, there's little to no concussion back to the shooter.

Levi 50BMG Recoil Reaper.jpg

Levi 450 brake at night.jpg

Here's a video of the T-Rex on a Remington Ultimate, shooting 106grs WEIGHT of BH209 and a 320gr bullet.

THERE IS NO WEIGHT ON THE SLED.

Another on a 50 BMG with a small lady shooting a 600gr bullet.

My T-Rex............. Trust me, this brake works!

IMG_2023.JPG

I wa 50/50 before and now I'm %90 on board with a MB . What is the difference between one with a timing nut and one without ? Mark said if it uses a nut I have to send it in for him to tap the barrel . I didn't ask but does that mean I could only use that one MB ? Would one without a nut be more universal ? I'd much rather get the barrel threaded and get a MB when I'm ready . Is there a thread count/size that's universal ?

I'm out with the lady so I'll look at arrowheads MB when I get home . What other brands or models should I consider ? I already have a pair of walker Excell 500s for hearing protection .
The diff between a 1 piece brake a self timing brake is a gunsmith will have to cut the threads to time the brake stopping in the proper position when its tight, every time. The self timing brake you need to adjust how the brake stops every time, leaving room for slightly off angles on a side post brake which will change your POI. The radial brake, it doesn't matter, no need to time them. Get your barrel threaded to 3/4x24tip & you'll be good to go

Last edited:
Better go buy the best hearing protection that you can find, cause you are going to need it.

Going to ruin the value of the pistol as well.

wow ! that T rex reminds me of SHAFT , i'ts A bad ... SHUT YO MOUTH ......... but i'm talking bout rex ...
i like the pricing and visual looks of most of hanks MBs

fishdfly this is what i already have for hearing protection .
https://www.walkersgameear.com/xcel-500bt-digital-electronic-muff-w-voice-clarity-bluetooth/
your gun doesn't come with a threaded muzzle? If not, thats a great thing which means you can have it threaded to 3/4x24tpi & use any brake you want on it.

i didn't know there were different sizes and tpi . so 3/4x24tpi is kind of a universal fit ? is that what size/tpi most of you are using ? if so should i just let mark know that's what i want to go with ? if i get a hanks i'll just need to tell him i'll need it to fit 3/4x24tpi and everything should be beautiful fit wise ?
and i'll need a thread protector and a powder funnel to use with it also , correct ?

and i'm gonna stick with radial since i won't be laying down shooting .

Last edited:
Patriot Valley Arms have some nice brakes much less than what Arrowhead charges and some of Patriot Valley Arms brakes are the same brakes sold by Arrowhead. Arrowhead sometimes puts their label on them, but they’re made by Patriot Valley. In particular would be the Shockwave. According to PVA reduces recoil by 65%.

I have a 45 Patriot with a brux barrel ordered and I'm considering getting it tapped for a muzzle break because it is a light weight gun . I'd want one that does not use a timing nut . What are your thoughts on this ? I told mark I would let him know for sure Thursday . Thanks folks
If it was me.....
Buy some N110 or Bluedot (I recommend N110), HLBS, wads(?), pick a 40 caliber bullets from 155 to 225gr, put a knurl on the bullets, start around 28 - 30gr of N110, work your way up or until you find the most accurate load. Then you won't need a brake....lol.... but it's not me....
If you try N110 make sure the powder column is tall enough. That's if it has a powder chamber.

If it was me.....
Buy some N110 or Bluedot (I recommend N110), HLBS, wads(?), pick a 40 caliber bullets from 155 to 225gr, put a knurl on the bullets, start around 28 - 30gr of N110, work your way up or until you find the most accurate load. Then you won't need a brake....lol.... but it's not me....
If you try N110 make sure the powder column is tall enough. That's if it has a powder chamber.
^ Great advice. No need for a brake with this type of load IMO and no messing around with a funnel to load. Sabot loads like this are the way to go and great for most deer hunting.

No powder chamber on a Woodman rifle.

wow ! that T rex reminds me of SHAFT , i'ts A bad ... SHUT YO MOUTH ......... but i'm talking bout rex ...
i like the pricing and visual looks of most of hanks MBs

fishdfly this is what i already have for hearing protection .
https://www.walkersgameear.com/xcel-500bt-digital-electronic-muff-w-voice-clarity-bluetooth/

i didn't know there were different sizes and tpi . so 3/4x24tpi is kind of a universal fit ? is that what size/tpi most of you are using ? if so should i just let mark know that's what i want to go with ? if i get a hanks i'll just need to tell him i'll need it to fit 3/4x24tpi and everything should be beautiful fit wise ?
and i'll need a thread protector and a powder funnel to use with it also , correct ?

and i'm gonna stick with radial since i won't be laying down shooting .
3/4x24 is pretty common for a .45. That’s what mine is. Yes, you’ll need a funnel and thread protector.

the cost to have it done while it's being made is just a little more than the cost to ship the gun to me when it's finished . having it done later would would almost triple the cost with 2 way shipping and the wait and having it gone for that time . i may never NEED it , but IMO it's not too much for a option that if i do need it could make a big difference for me since the gun weight is less than 6 lbs bare .

Back