Looking for advice/input

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would shove a rangerod with a tight patch on it down the barrel, put a mark somewhere on it near one end then measure how far it goes in to make one complete rotation. Or one half rotation (then double that)

I have owned 4 different knight 54 cal. Over the years and all of them shot lights out with Barnes 325 grn. bullets, purple sabots with 90 grn. Of any powder I put thru them.

Best all around bullet ever used in the 54cals. Holds up good with pretty much any load a MK can safely shoot. You dont even need to shoot it super fast because it was made for 50 Action Express.

Apparently a bit hard to find, along with every freakin' thing else!

Apparently a bit hard to find, along with every freakin' thing else!

Its one of the easier bullets to find though. When Speer had shortages in the past for 357s, 44s and 45s i never had much of a problem finding them. Second choice would be the 50-300 Gold Dot. Its a little tougher bullet than the 325gr but IMO the 325 is a better all around choice in 54cal MLs. Tony Knight thought so too. Many of the MK85 54s came with them.
RIEtwwY.jpg

Every online place I checked was out of stock. #11 primer caps, the same story. I haven't looked for powder, but I suspect that will be 'bout the same...

I was able to buy them directly from Speer, but it was before things got to this point. Maybe worth a look?

Best all around bullet ever used in the 54cals. Holds up good with pretty much any load a MK can safely shoot. You dont even need to shoot it super fast because it was made for 50 Action Express.
Have you ever tried the.50 cal FTX made by Hornady? I believe they are 325 grains.

Have you ever tried the.50 cal FTX made by Hornady? I believe they are 325 grains.

Not me. I've never tried anything other than conicals (Great Plains and Buffalo Bullets) and 44 caliber Hornady's w/sabots.

I was able to find some .50 Speer JHP's! That is the good news. The bad news is that there is a $100 minimum. I have a lifetimes worth of bullets headed my way! Now I just hope I can get the freakin' things to shoot!

Last edited by a moderator:

Not in a MK. My 54cal is based on a DISC action with 209 primers and BH209 powder. Using a max load in mine i have shot the 50-300gr FTX and killed a deer with them. Its a pretty rough bullet made for 500S&W speeds and not as well suited to lower velocity loads. A 500S&W can shoot that bullet 2200fps or more in rifle loads.

Not me. I've never tried anything other than conicals (Great Plains and Buffalo Bullets) and 44 caliber Hornady's w/sabots.

I was able to find some .50 Speer JHP's! That is the good news. The bad news is that there is a $100 minimum. I have a lifetimes worth of bullets headed my way! Now I just hope I can get the freakin' things to shoot!

Don't use the above link! I'd take long odds that it is a scam! Maaaaaaan. My wife is gonna be pis$ed! Gotta change credit card numbers - again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back