• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED/ISO Boar Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Hunters… I’m looking to go boar hunting and I asked the guide what rifle I should bring and he told me a 30-6 is probably my go to gun, I most deer hunt so I don’t have anything of that caliber, so I need to purchase that or something similar if I want to hunt a more robust animals… I know this is a muzzle loader site but I thought someone on here might have something for sale or lead me to what I should purchase new… I also need it with a scope… I told the guide I had a muzzle loader 50 caliber but he said a 30-6 is the weapon of choice?.. Can anyone advise me how I should proceed, Thanks in advance.

Agreed..I’d find a guide that’s comfortable with you using whatever you want that’s suitable for the situation..I’ve seen 44 mag carbines drop a hog in its tracks..I’ve personally used a 450 bushmaster and the 400lb+ hog never took another step..granted a 30-06 I’m sure is a great rifle for this but there’s so many options available. Your .50 cal is more than adequate to get the job done…not to mention if anything should happen your guide should be there for a safety with a rifle of his own

Hello Fellow Hunters… I’m looking to go boar hunting and I asked the guide what rifle I should bring and he told me a 30-6 is probably my go to gun, I most deer hunt so I don’t have anything of that caliber, so I need to purchase that or something similar if I want to hunt a more robust animals… I know this is a muzzle loader site but I thought someone on here might have something for sale or lead me to what I should purchase new… I also need it with a scope… I told the guide I had a muzzle loader 50 caliber but he said a 30-6 is the weapon of choice?.. Can anyone advise me how I should proceed, Thanks in advance.
Hunt with your 50. If the guide dont like it find someone else

I’ve killed A BUNCH of pigs with everything from a 17hmr up to a 9.3x74r, and while a 30-06 would be an excellent choice, the insistence that it‘s the only choice or “best“ choice is ridiculous.
If I was the outfitter or guide, I’d probably balk on a client wanting to use something like a 223 or 22-250 (even though I’ve killed pigs with both), but at the end of the day, pigs really aren’t that hard to kill if you’re a halfway decent shot.

New guide , I shoot them with a recurve!/Ed

New Guide Son and I 've killed a bunch. I use a SML 45/70 conversion at about 2550 fps with 245gr soft points and 275 gr Furys -Pittman's 300 gr Precisions rifle bullets all DRT. Son uses 50 cal inline loaded with HLB sabots and 45 caliber XTP's over 100grs BP substitute and he is killed 40 plus for this year and still has a few days left.

I’ve killed hogs with my 50cal ml. It will do the job. I shoot HORNADY bore drivers.

IMHO, 308, 30-06 and the like is too much gun, Blows holes right thru. 30-30, 243, 6mm, 6.8spcII, and similar is all that it takes. Behind the ear inline with the shoulder,

I’m hunting deer with .50 caliber inline Encore Prohunter and 245 grain power belt with 100 grain 777 powder and federal premium 209MZ primers, takes down deer easily… I was thinking about a 300 Winchester for purchase for future larger game or 30-06?.. This would also be good for longer ranges if I needed it?.. What do you think?.. Thanks.

I’m hunting deer with .50 caliber inline Encore Prohunter and 245 grain power belt with 100 grain 777 powder and federal premium 209MZ primers, takes down deer easily… I was thinking about a 300 Winchester for purchase for future larger game or 30-06?.. This would also be good for longer ranges if I needed it?.. What do you think?.. Thanks.
It’s an excellent caliber. I’ve owned several rifles in 300 WM but never really had a “need” for a magnum. I shoot most everything now with a 308, but I’ve killed well over 100 deer and pigs with a 270 Win.
The only reason I can think of that the guide might not want you using a ML is that follow up shots will be slow. It’s his operation and his rules, so I guess if you don’t like them, you can find another outfitter…..or buy a 30-06.🤷🏼‍♂️

Last April, my Son and I went on a boar hunt with our CVA, 50 cal. ML. No complaints- both were head shots (no meat loss) at 50+ yards and DRT. I used 70g (by weight) BH209 with 300g CVA Aerolites, my Son used 2 pellets of White Hots and 295g Powerbelts. I forgot to add, both hogs were 350-400 lbs. Just my 2 cents.

I love my 300WM. But I'm also madly in love with the .257wbymag.

Thanks Guys… I think I made my decision and I guess I’ll start saving for it now, Savage 110 High Country 30-06 around $1,300.00 Adjustable trigger and stainless steel barrel coated, I have a scope so I don’t need that… Maybe by next year or sooner I can pull the trigger on this one or if some thing else comes up and I come across a good deal… I really like that rifle and I heard good things about it… Hopefully there true, We’ll see, Thanks everyone for your input and your advice… Merry Christmas, God Bless.

Thanks Guys… I think I made my decision and I guess I’ll start saving for it now, Savage 110 High Country 30-06 around $1,300.00 Adjustable trigger and stainless steel barrel coated, I have a scope so I don’t need that… Maybe by next year or sooner I can pull the trigger on this one or if some thing else comes up and I come across a good deal… I really like that rifle and I heard good things about it… Hopefully there true, We’ll see, Thanks everyone for your input and your advice… Merry Christmas, God Bless.
A Savage for $1300? Negative.
https://choose.tikka.fi/usa

Latest posts

Back