Latest 250 grain bullet/xmp 5744 load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoker

Reaction score
Just started testing my MLII and used a 300 grain bullet with 44.5 of
xmp 5744. Accuracy was good but would like to try some Hornady 250 grain bullets and wondered what the latest recipes have been. Thanks, smoker

smoker, I haven't shot anything out of my rifle, much more accurate at 100 yds than 42-43 grains AA5744 and a 250 grn XTP w/short black sabot.

Likewise, many find good accuracy with a .452 250 grain XTP or SST, MMP or Harvestor short black sabot, and 40-44 grains of N110 or 4759. Every gun is different, and it's best to just work through the load and weight variations systematically. However, 42 o4 43 grains seems to work best with the highest number of people.

smoker said:
Just started testing my MLII and used a 300 grain bullet with 44.5 of
xmp 5744. Accuracy was good but would like to try some Hornady 250 grain bullets and wondered what the latest recipes have been. Thanks, smoker
42-44 grns. of AA5744,short black mmp,300XTP.209 Fed. primer. I get .5 in groups with my HB and 3/4 in groups with my sons "stock" Savage.You might want to try this combo,I have seen it shoot very well out of several Savages.Hope this helps you out.

Thanks Guy's. What is your thinking about 44.5 XMP 5744 as a starting laod for the 250 grainer?

44 grains of 5744 and the Hornady 250 XTP is a load that has worked well in a dozen or so rifles I have helped set up. I use the WW 209 primer and the long black sabot with the steps in the base. I just trim the petals to match the shorter 250 bullet. You may have better accuracy with a few less grains of powder in the heat. Also don't forget to let that barrel cool.

smoker said:
Thanks Guy's. What is your thinking about 44.5 XMP 5744 as a starting laod for the 250 grainer?
Maybe a little stiff for 250 grainer,I would start at 41-42 and go up.I might add that depending upon how tight your barrel is,the short black MMP sabot works well with 250 xtp.And there is no need to trim petals.

Your rifle will tell you what it likes. I have a friend who has shot up to 48 grains of 5744 but the accuracy went south above 45 grains. If you are looking for more speed try a different powder. 5744 is no speed demon but a very reliable and accurate powder in most rifles. I have never had a problem killing deer with 5744 velocities. You can switch to the 250 grain with that charge and it should not present a problem but it may not be the most accurate in your gun.

I have the MMP black sabot, don't know if they are short or long??? I'm really not looking for speed, it's just that I have a bunch 44.5 grain loads scaled out. I could just as easily dump and re-scale. Might be a good idea to be on the safe side. smoker

There's a reason they call it "work up a load". Start around 40 and work up untill you find the sweet spot if there is one for that powder/load combo.

You are right Darrell! I'm dumpin and re-scalin. Too damn muggy to shoot so now I have something to do. Phil

You might even want to start around 38 grs. if it's as hot there as it is here. We're at 98 with a heat index of 105 today and supposed to be 99 tomorrow. :shock: :drinkers:

smoker said:
I have the MMP black sabot, don't know if they are short or long??? I'm really not looking for speed, it's just that I have a bunch 44.5 grain loads scaled out. I could just as easily dump and re-scale. Might be a good idea to be on the safe side. smoker
Other than having the sabots in hand,you can tell by price.The short black sabots run $7.75 per bag.The HPH12s and 24s run $10.25 bag.Also you can tell by dropping a 250 grainer in one of your sabots,if the petals extend well beyond the end of the 250 grn bullet,you have one of the 2 longer petal designed sabots.The nose of a 250 grain xtp extends beyond the end of the short black sabot.You may very well have the short one now.I think you will be pleasently surprised, using the short black sabot and 300 grn. XTP.

smoker said:
Other than having the sabots in hand,you can tell by price.The short black sabots run $7.75 per bag.The HPH12s and 24s run $10.25 bag.Also you can tell by dropping a 250 grainer in one of your sabots,if the petals extend well beyond the end of the 250 grn bullet,you have one of the 2 longer petal designed sabots.The nose of a 250 grain xtp extends beyond the end of the short black sabot.You may very well have the short one now..Also, as you are probally aware, in this kind of heat,"WAIT TIME"in between shots,can not stress that enough.Good luck to you.

I have nothing against the short black sabots. I have used them with complete satisfaction. I just have a bunch of the long ones to shoot up before I reorder. If it is really hot in the 90s, it takes a long time for the barrel to cool. I try to keep my gun and components in the shade and I feel the barrel 2 inches or so in front of the barrel nut. If the barrel feels warm to the touch then I wait until it is cool before loading and firing again. I have a place to shoot that is next to a farm pond so I go fishing for a while until the gun cools down. I try to shoot in the early morning when the temperature is as cool as it is going to be for that day. You can go down to 36 grains and get a killing load with 5744. I often take my powder scales to the range just so I can adjust my charges.

SchoolMaster, It is going to hit 95 here today,when it gets that hot,I do not even bother.It just makes it too miserable to concentrate on the tasks at hand.This kind of heat really maxs out my paitence!!We will get back to some 60 degree mornings soon and then I will get back at it.I wish I had a pond next to my range! That wait time would be a lot easier to handle!!

I shot some 5 shot groups here yesterday in the heat you guys are talking about, mid to high 90's. My bench is set up about 100 yds. from my front door so I was able to take my rifle back to the cool house and wait a few minutes before reloading. I was shooting 40 grns of 5744 and comparing to 40 grns 4759. Both charges were loaded w 250 grn xtp's and short black sabot. The mild "pop" of the recoil was fun to shoot. The 5744 seemed to shoot a little better than the 4759... at least yesterday. No groups to post, a couple with sub MOA for three and then a couple of flyers that opened the group to 2" :shock: :cry: I'm going to start shooting this load offhand at about 50 yards until the weather cools. Practice some rifle control and not focus so much on group size.

Tar-12 Yeah that pond makes it handy just hop in for a quick cool down when the fish aren't biting. WRM that 40 grain charge of 4759 is not so anemic as one might think. The mild recoil can fool you. The more you shoot the better that rifle feels and its fun.

Amen! it don't have to kill at both ends to be a great deer load. :)

Saw a weather map this Am and guess the whole country is very hot. Looking forward to shooting in these new laods. One thing I must admit, this is one sweet shooting gun. Moving a 300 grain bullet ~ 1,900 fps and could do it all day. smoker PS thanks for the great info. Keep it coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back