Just closed a deal on something I really need .. another gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I got it today. The sender or UPS up there put down a non-existent address on the other side of town. (Town is real big .. about 4 sq. miles.  :roll:)

The bores are pristine .. shiny clean with very shallow rifling like a centerfire. 

The stock is hand checkered walnut but whoever inlet the blank did it off-center so the wood on the right side of the action is very thin where the barrels swing down. This has resulted in a small chip that is really not repairable due to the thinness of the wood there.

There are a few spots of minor surface rust on the receiver and top of the barrel. Otherwise, it is a real gem. This was a real quality gun when it was manufactured and probably not inexpensive,

The sling is quality leather made by a saddle shop and the front sling attachment is made with a hole so the aluminum ramrod can be inserted.

I would be very pleased even if I had paid $500+ for this gun.

The 24" barrels with shallow rifling have a 1:28" twist. What projectiles would you guys recommend that I use??

I will appreciate all thoughts.

Ron, I forgot to put in that the gun weighs 9 lbs. 6 oz. but it balances nicely.

I have a Ruger 77 with a fluted bull barrel and it has about the same balance. Before I had the bull barrel fluted, it was top-heavy and I could hardly carry it with a sling.

Don't know much about that gun myself, but it sure is nice looking and what I deal you got. I think I need one of them. I hope she shoots good for you.

9 lbs 6 oz really isn't bad for a well balanced rifle, particularly with 2 barrels. I have a Schimmel barn gun that must be close to that weight.
I hope you have fun with it!
Ron

Hey Bob....Have you figured out where they  are regulated to (distance in yards)...And which is the primary upper or lower....You made a great deal...Please keep us posted about shooting it...

Hilljack

Hilljack said:
Hey Bob....Have you figured out where they  are regulated to (distance in yards)...And which is the primary upper or lower....You made a great deal...Please keep us posted about shooting it...

Hilljack

I just got back from hunting in the panhandle last night and caught a cold from my son's family so I haven't shot it yet. I'll shoot it and see whether it's regulated or not but it will probably be Dec. 5th or 6th until I can get around to it. I have another hunt this week and next weekend.
I also have a deer to butcher.

Latest posts

Back