Do I Gotta Bite the BH$ Bullet?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the life of me I cannot fathom you shooting 5 bullets touching at 100 yards and then 8" groups at 50 yards just by switching powder!
I could take any of my muzzleloaders and, using the same bullet, shoot 5 different powders and do better than 8" at 50 yards provided my velocity was within 100 fps.
IMO you're doing something else different. I have 2 canisters of bh209 and this is the 3rd time trying it in different rifles and most of them prefer a different powder.

I would have to agree with you bronko. That's a very big difference! I've always stuck with 1 powder for hunting and sighting in my muzzleloader for obvious reasons. I'm going to get some 777 and give it a try this spring and see how my Accura V2 Lr likes it. I have some blackhorn powder that I would like to keep for my hunting loads. It's going to be interesting to see what the differences are. I'm sure that I can get better than 8in at 50 or 100 yards with the 777!

The OP never said what kind of scope he had on his rifle. I am wondering if his last outing with BH209 busted the scope and when he shot the T7 and Shooter's World the scope was all messed up. That is the only thing I can figure. Did he go back to the BH209 and shoot tight groups again? I don't know and he never came back to let us know!
I'm willing to bet that his scope went to crap.

Fought with the crud ring for many years: i absolutely detest swabbing between shots.

My TC Black Diamond rifle prefers 2F 777. My most accurate load for that rifle consists of a CCI #11 primer, 90 measured grains of 777 with the .40 caliber 200 grain SST bullet in the blue crush rib sabot. i fire five shot strings without swabbing. Five shot groups at 125 yards measure 1-1 1/2 inches.

Recently most of my carefully hoarded supply of Pyrodex bought on sale at Mao Mart went away. Saved two cans for my CVA Stag Horn rifle.

i've had one experience with BH 209. Couple years ago a local hunter brought me a new Traditions rifle and a nice Leupold scope. He wanted the scope installed and the rifle sighted in.

Along with the rifle came a new can of BH 209. Numerous hang fires later i gave up and sighted the rifle in using 777 3F. Gave the hunter his rifle, the can of BH 209 and a can of 777 3F.

The hunter got his elk with one shot.

Last edited:
I am no expert by any means but 8” group just by changing powder doesn’t compute. As stated above I would check the scope and make sure it’s not loose or damaged.

I can see some poi shift but an 8 inch pattern at 50 is more than likely not because of a powder change.

Honestly if I determined that it was because of the powder I would immediately sell the rifle and purchase something that ran well with cheaper powder.

My cheap cva wolf likes bp, 777 and pyrodex. Never tried bh I refuse to buy the special plug and pay the extra money for a 10 ounce container.

Remember when cheese came in 16 ounce packages now it’s a 12 ounce package. Talk about inflation by another name.

I recently bought some Winchester smokeless and threw in some schuetzen powder. It was 22 bucks for a full pound. Powder valley was offering free hazmat.

What ever happened to using straight bp in a bp rifle one would think that is the “best” stuff to use. 🤷

Back