Do I Gotta Bite the BH$ Bullet?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love T7, and it cleans up easily, for me. I've never understood the fuss over BH209.
Amen Phil. T7 has been good to me also. I’ve never had a misfire with T7 I can’t say the same for bh209. I have the blackhorn breechplug and shot hot 209s on a clean gun so that wasn’t the problem. It’s just too finicky for me and I’m not going to buy breechplugs until I find one that works with it When I can stick any kind of plug in my gun and it will shoot T7. Plus it costs a heckava lot less. The crud ring is not a biggie to me at all either

So you may want to try shooting them with an over the powder card. I do with blackhorn and real in my side locks. Makes the difference

When I first started shooting muzzleloaders in the mid 90s we always used pyrodex rs and never had any problems with it other than the crud ring. About 10-12yrs ago I bought a new Accura and started using blackhorn powder. I love it for the ease of being able to shoot without having to clean every few shots! It's been a very reliable powder for hunting to me! I've never tried 777 powder at any time. If the price of blackhorn doesn't come back down to earth I'm going back to pyrodex rs or trying 777! Is 777 better than pyrodex rs?

When I first started shooting muzzleloaders in the mid 90s we always used pyrodex rs and never had any problems with it other than the crud ring. About 10-12yrs ago I bought a new Accura and started using blackhorn powder. I love it for the ease of being able to shoot without having to clean every few shots! It's been a very reliable powder for hunting to me! I've never tried 777 powder at any time. If the price of blackhorn doesn't come back down to earth I'm going back to pyrodex rs or trying 777! Is 777 better than pyrodex rs?
As for me I'm new at the powder game but in the past month or so of using 777 loose the "crud ring" has been virtually non- existent vs. the 777 pellets I used to use. But even if you do get the "ring" a moistened patch with Windex will wipe your troubles away.

As for me I'm new at the powder game but in the past month or so of using 777 loose the "crud ring" has been virtually non- existent vs. the 777 pellets I used to use. But even if you do get the "ring" a moistened patch with Windex will wipe your troubles away.
How many shots are you getting before you have to swab the barrel?

Is 777 better than pyrodex rs?
In my opinion yes. While they're both corrosive, T7 is less so, or seems to be. T7 has way more energy than Pyro in equal load quantities. Both come in pellets but I just don't use them as they're too limiting when working up loads. The crud ring with T7 is easily deal with and in no way makes T7 the lesser of the two powders. Price-wise they're close to the same so no advantage there.

I like T7 a lot better than pyrodex. It is easier to clean up and it doesn’t corrode my gun like pyrodex. I can almost watch my gun rust when I used pyrodex I think T7 shoots a little hotter too

How many shots are you getting before you have to swab the barrel?
Well as of late I've been sighting in my rifles and working up loads so I usually swab every shot. After that I'll probably swab after every shot just out of habit as I had to with pellets. And besides I'm not in a hurry to see how many I can do why not.

Well as of late I've been sighting in my rifles and working up loads so I usually swab every shot. After that I'll probably swab after every shot just out of habit as I had to with pellets. And besides I'm not in a hurry to see how many I can do why not.
Yeah I really don't see any problem with swabbing after each shot, it not cleans the barrel and gets rid of the crud ring, it also gives the barrel time to cool down! The biggest difference to me in using blackhorn versus pyrodex rs was that I would see what the deer was doing after the shot! Does 777 have as much smoke as pyrodex rs?

Yeah I really don't see any problem with swabbing after each shot, it not cleans the barrel and gets rid of the crud ring, it also gives the barrel time to cool down! The biggest difference to me in using blackhorn versus pyrodex rs was that I would see what the deer was doing after the shot! Does 777 have as much smoke as pyrodex rs?

In my opinion yes. While they're both corrosive, T7 is less so, or seems to be. T7 has way more energy than Pyro in equal load quantities. Both come in pellets but I just don't use them as they're too limiting when working up loads. The crud ring with T7 is easily deal with and in no way makes T7 the lesser of the two powders. Price-wise they're close to the same so no advantage there.
Thanks for the reply! I've never used pellets before and I don't intend to use em. I'll get some 777 and give it a try. I'm not concerned about the corrosivness of either because I always clean my muzzleloader! The aspect of it having more energy than pyrodex is what I'd like!

I've never used pyro rs but I have used pryo pellets and do know that the T-7 pellets have far less smoke than the pyro pellets.

Thanks for the reply! I've never used pellets before and I don't intend to use em. I'll get some 777 and give it a try. I'm not concerned about the corrosivness of either because I always clean my muzzleloader! The aspect of it having more energy than pyrodex is what I'd like!

If you can afford it, buy both the T7 in ffg and fffg granulations and shoot each. The fffg T7 shoots very close to what the same charge of BH209 does for me in both energy and velocity and with a slightly less problematic crud ring. I shoot T7 fffg at the range using the same volumetric charge as BH209 in my 50 cal guns and can get three or four shots down the pipe before I notice any real balking from a crud ring, while with the ffg size I need to wipe the bore after each shot. I use the BH209 for hunting ,but if I run out of BH209 I'd certainly not hesitate to use the fffg T7 in the field.

If you can afford it, buy both the T7 in ffg and fffg granulations and shoot each. The fffg T7 shoots very close to what the same charge of BH209 does for me in both energy and velocity and with a slightly less problematic crud ring. I shoot T7 fffg at the range using the same volumetric charge as BH209 in my 50 cal guns and can get three or four shots down the pipe before I notice any real balking from a crud ring, while with the ffg size I need to wipe the bore after each shot. I use the BH209 for hunting ,but if I run out of BH209 I'd certainly not hesitate to use the fffg T7 in the field.
Thanks Tom! That's exactly what I'm looking to do, is keep my blackhorn powder for hunting and shooting something else at the range!

Search the SWBP here. Allot of us have tried it and like it. No crud ring. You will lose about 70 fps for equal load volume. All depends what you are shooting I kill paper allot so I enjoy the SWBP for price per shot. stay safe and shoot often,

See that’s the thing, a bottle and a half a year, about $100. I spend more than that on coffee every month. I don’t care what they charge as long as it’s available. I’d care if I shot 20 cans a year but like most people, I don’t.
Amen. If it works it works. I don’t care about cost. If I set out to work up a load for something I won’t except anything but accuracy and precision from, I will invest what’s needed to achieve the best performance possible. Period. If I go broke doing it I must be doing something right.

Plus it is a good way to make sure there are no hot spots or embers in the barrel to set off a charge as you pour it in too.

Latest posts

Back