Hornandy reloading manual

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking at some data in the Hornandy manual and I can't believe people haven't blown their guns up. Some of these loads are just ridiculous for 10 mm and 40 S&W. I see pressure signs using 800x WAY under their max loadings. Their minimum load of ACC#9 for 180 gr XTP bullets is 11.5 gr and they claim velocities are only 950 fps at that loading. With a 16" carbine barrel, that load has my 180 gr slugs moving at 1340 fps. It is hard for me to believe that the longer barrel picked up 400 fps.

Last edited:
For 10 mm: Colt Delta Elite with a 5" barrel
Their max load of ACC#9 is 14.2 gr and their claimed velocity is 1200 fps. That is WAY off from my measured speeds and I would be afraid to load 14.2 gr acc#9 in a 10 mm shell. If it is linear, I get about 80 fps per 0.5 gr from 10.0 gr to 11.5 gr. At 11.5 gr, I am getting 1343 fps. At 14.2 gr, that extrapolates to 1775 fps! Even if the longer barrel picks up 200 fps (reasonable I think), that is still screaming fast.

Their max load of 800x is 10.1 gr. I get pressure signs somewhere in the 8's.

Looking at 40 S&W again and it appears I was mistaken in my first post. Their max for 800X with a 180 gr XTP is 7.4 gr which is the same as Lyman. I guess it is just the 10 mm data I think is way off.

Optimistic? These loadings look dangerous to me. Like I said, I am surprised some newcomer to reloading hasn't blown up their gun and or themselves trying to load 10.1 gr of 800x in a 10 mm cartridge pushing a 180 gr slug. Like I said though, maybe I am being a nervous Nancy. Has anyone here tried a loading that high?

Dangerous! Back in '65 when I started loading the max charges were a lot higher than what the manuals list today even from the same manufacturer. (today they're at lawyer pressures)
But regardless of what is listed in a manual, and almost every one is specific on this, you start at either the starting load or at 10% below maximum. Remember loads in manuals are guidelines and they are not set in stone. What's safe in one firearms may be too hot for another. You start low and watch for pressure indicators.
Another thing newbies get upset about is following loading manuals to a T, using the same primer, case brand etc. You don't need to be that crazy. I often loaded using mixed brass without issues. However I NEVER load to a maximum charge listed. I almost always get my best accuracy somewhere below the starting load and maximum.

I like Hodgdon Reloading Data Center. They seem to know what they are doing.
Their Max Loads are below most others because they have good lawyers while having good
Proof Readers. The only time I got pissed with Hodgdon (on a phone call) was asking
why they had CUP data on the 6.8mm x 43 cartridge (6.8 REM SPC) instead of PSI. The scrotumite on
the other side of the line said that CUP was a well established method. I told him that
only child molesters and Marxists used the CUP method after we (U.S.) put men on the
moon in 1969 using Slip Sticks (that's slide rules for those in Rio Linda). NOTE: I mostly use
Hodgdon Powders, extreme preferably, with a smidgen of IMR and Winchester. LONGSHOT for my G40.

Last edited:
I have been reloading since 1978 and have never reloaded the max loads on any caliber. I go with the recommended starting load and stay way under the max loads. I just ordered a chrono to test some of my handloafs hopefully sometime this coming week.

I also have reloaded since about 1978. Always start on the low side and work my way up checking for accuracy as I go. Once you find accuracy may as well stop. A gun thats not accurate is good for throwing or garden stakes. Now I will admit to loading a little more aggressively with my 338 win mag and my 35 Whelen. As I add powder keeping an eye out for pressure. If you get pressure signs its time to back off.

Back in the day I did and still have a chrony. You will be mildly disappointed with the velocity as compared to published data. No matter. Accuracy is the goal. Knowing the actual velocity and Ballistic Coefficient aid in determining a trajectory. BC is often optimistic also. Ive seen many here say go out and shoot at the distances you are willing to shoot. Thats the only way to be sure.

Additionally, I always confirm load data from multiple sources. Back in the day not so easy. With the internet now it only takes a few minutes.

Latest posts

Back