CVA Accura LR .45 "best LR bullets"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dead Centers are not pure lead. The QTs are a softer lead but im unsure how soft. The heavier DCs would be good shooters but you may need to swap sabots. They are just very expensive for a tipped lead bullet.

All the Fury ML bullets are bonded. He also offers another lead tip. He had those before offering the StarTips. Dino posted a pic of them on his Fury Custom Bullets FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/FuryCustom...350529873167/1905882769653276/?type=3&theater

I THINK this is a pic of the ST1 40-250gr in a HLB sabot
hJoUBFl.jpg

I love to try a new bullets or ones I've never shot before,, I got a wall full of the basics,I've gotten hung up on the high-end pittman ,Parker type ,just because they're so accurate,, and believe me I get the economics if that,, even if I'm just plinking a little bit I want to plink in one ragged hole,,,if you try enough bullets you're going to find four or five different ones that will achieve the results you looking for

Just go with the lead conicals you won't regret it. It's like hitting the animal with a Mac Truck. Love heavy lead conicals with a felt wad over the powder.

I love to try a new bullets or ones I've never shot before,, I got a wall full of the basics,I've gotten hung up on the high-end pittman ,Parker type ,just because they're so accurate,, and believe me I get the economics if that,, even if I'm just plinking a little bit I want to plink in one ragged hole,,,if you try enough bullets you're going to find four or five different ones that will achieve the results you looking for
I like to try different bullets. I always seem to migrate back to lead coni's. I just can't help it.

All right I'm here to confess my idiot Ness,, last weekend shooting the Paramount it was cold and the air was dry the bore on the rifle was tighter,I had just the right bullet tension when I turn my die down to the left of 0 to nothing and running the 250 fury star tip through the die,, yesterday shooting again it's warm and humid in the mid-70s of course my bore was relaxed,when I ran the bullet through the dye with the die set like I did last weekend the bullet almost fell through the barrel very little tension loading pressure at all not enough to pressure up my groups were around three quarters of an inch,, put the gun up and went to smokeless I post it on the smokeless thread here this morning I tried seating a bare bullet fury star tip 452,of course it's seated perfectly I feel like an idiot for not trying that yesterday anyway y'all laugh with me and I'll try shooting some of those later on

I started my ML journey with conicals.
All I've ever shot in My TC .50 New Englander. TC 370gr Maxiball.
I was amazed at the damage they inflict.
3 deer no tracking and hit where I aimed.
Maybe follow the spray 30 yds.
But these were all close range open sight kills.
I moved to inline and scopes and have done well, 1st Platinum Powerbelts, then saboted 45/50 300gr XTP's, then to the 300gr 44/50 harvester white lightning.
Very pleased with this round with 100gr measured 70gr weighed Blackhorn. Comfortable out to 200 maybe 250yds.
Now evolving to the .45 and want to stretch things out to 300yds. If there's a conical out there in the 275-300gr range I'm willing to try. From what I know and am capable of the big heavy conical have too much drop at 300yds to conform to the range compensating scopes I have. These scope are designed to estimate 250gr bullets at 100 gr charges. I've ordered the 45/40 200gr SST but really want around 250gr- 300gr. From what I know of terminal ballistics. Full bore is probably only way to get that but can't do a sizer yet.
Ideas ? Maybe this at either 300gr or 260gr @ .451 with a wad "if it fits" ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200209-152535.png
    Screenshot_20200209-152535.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 3
This is actual PT Gold .451/45 in 260gr or 300gr

Attachments

• d101cce390cda4111b4a389525c64a19.jpg
    d101cce390cda4111b4a389525c64a19.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3
Actual PT Gold .451/45 in 260gr or 300gr.

Attachments

• d101cce390cda4111b4a389525c64a19.jpg
    d101cce390cda4111b4a389525c64a19.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2
I started my ML journey with conicals.
All I've ever shot in My TC .50 New Englander. TC 370gr Maxiball.
I was amazed at the damage they inflict.
3 deer no tracking and hit where I aimed.
Maybe follow the spray 30 yds.
But these were all close range open sight kills.
I moved to inline and scopes and have done well, 1st Platinum Powerbelts, then saboted 45/50 300gr XTP's, then to the 300gr 44/50 harvester white lightning.
Very pleased with this round with 100gr measured 70gr weighed Blackhorn. Comfortable out to 200 maybe 250yds.
Now evolving to the .45 and want to stretch things out to 300yds. If there's a conical out there in the 275-300gr range I'm willing to try. From what I know and am capable of the big heavy conical have too much drop at 300yds to conform to the range compensating scopes I have. These scope are designed to estimate 250gr bullets at 100 gr charges. I've ordered the 45/40 200gr SST but really want around 250gr- 300gr. From what I know of terminal ballistics. Full bore is probably only way to get that but can't do a sizer yet.
Ideas ? Maybe this at either 300gr or 260gr @ .451 with a wad "if it fits" ?
52914738_1997777923675139_296864982698557440_o.jpg this works all the way to 430 yds. at mv of 1320. learn to dial your scope to shoot distance you want

I'm definitely impressed and curious. I just wouldn't even know where to start. I see the match winners and distances and equipment used and think Wow, how do these guys do this ? That's a lethal looking round...and probably using real black powder in a side lock.

I'm definitely impressed and curious. I just wouldn't even know where to start. I see the match winners and distances and equipment used and think Wow, how do these guys do this ? That's a lethal looking round...and probably using real black powder in a side lock.
done with a knight and can be done with side hammer. It is one heck of a hunting bullet. 85 to 94 grains swiss 2ff. Must know your velocity in real world and make you a drop chart , must have good range finder and last ballistic program on your cell phone, range , put in yards on program dial your moa. Sometimes deer have moved and you have to do it again, but killed many deer at 300 and beyond, they aren't spooked , high shoulder. This shot was learned the hard way, yes i have made bad shots, so high shoulder you hit or goes over.

Last edited:
I'm still working on this. After a lot of reading and finally "slugging" the barrel.
A pretty tough review of the Paramount indicated the Bore of the Paramount is .452 so I messaged the author and asked about the Accura .45. he wasn't certain but stated they should be close.
Good enough to try for me.
Took a cheap shot and compressed to .456 dowl and hammered down the barrel w/dowell with cutting oil. As expected measured .452 (actual .4527)
So then I tried pushing the 300gr XTP .452 down the barrel, took some effort (maybe 40lbs +) but manageable in the field. Also tried a smackdown 250gr and it was noticeably easier (20-25lbs).
There's a lot of .452 bullets available I'm hoping to use (try) SST, Maximus, Lehigh, Fury, Remington Accutip all copper. I was hoping for .451 bullets, Barnes, Harvester scorpion, etc but that looks unlikely.
Biggest worry is maintaining pressure to ignite Blackhorn and obturation to engage the rifling. I know I'm pushing the edge of probability but think it may work.
If I'm searching for the impossible please tell me. I'm sure someone knows more.
than me. The left top is SST, it engaged the rifling, right top out of the box.
Left bottom is Smackdown, made some marks barely any rifling marks ?, right is unaltered. Thanks for any response or suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_20200213_122901395.jpg
    IMG_20200213_122901395.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 10
Two weeks ago 48-50 degree temperatures dry air my bore was tight enough I had to size a 452 just slightly, last weekend 78 degrees warm and humid the 252 fury fit my barrel perfectly.paramount

One thing i can not deal with in a 45cal is a barrel much over .451 on the lands. Its a deal breaker for me if you want to shoot sabots without any hassles. MMP sabots will work but not as well with hotter loads and Harvesters are too small for .452 lands. So the only option are .402 bullets and that leaves out all the cheap bullets like XTPs/Noslers for simple recreation. Plus you miss out on many other bullets sabotless unless you knurl them up.

Parker will make his larger (special order) but the cost is very high. Fury charges only a few bucks to knurl his up. Conicals if shooting BH209 will need to be sized from .453-.454 and .453 would be a special order die.

Back