CVA Accura LR .45 "best LR bullets"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doccbst1

Reaction score
Well, I took the Plunge after researching many options including a 45-70 conversion. On suggestion from admins and members here I just couldn't do better, fast twist 1:22, thumbhole stock, nitride barrel, even a sling and the webpage claimed BH BP. Mine shipped with standard but they're sending the BH.
Shipped to my door $405.
So I ordered the .45/40 200gr bullets (I had the points) in pic. Somewhere to start but I believe a 250-300 gr would be better for hunting at 300yds. I've looked at a lot but want some full bore options. I can't find anything on the Fury .45's online.
If a .451 45 will fit without sizing I know a few. I haven't slugged the barrel yet so maybe even the .452's would work. A lot more choices.
I'll try the ELR's but pricy for the practice I'll need. Manual says max 400gr
I'm only using Blackhorn 209.

Attachments

• PhotoCollage_20200205_214046577.jpg
    PhotoCollage_20200205_214046577.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 37
My opinion of full bore bullet is newly formed. Haven't been at this long. What seems be critical; necessary, is a smooth form sizer die. One absolutely needs an infinitely adjustable sizing die. Without this die, one has virtually no freedom of choice.

One will find that just adjusting the size of the bullet by only 0.0002" makes a noticeable difference. Opinion is newly formed; experience is limited. However trying to purchase bullets, and hoping they will fit your barrel seems totally backwards to me.

For a bullet, you could purchase one, or more of the 'few' you know. Chances are they won't fit your rifle. No problem; you can bring them to 'size' with the sizing die. Bullets 0.452" or 0.451" are too large for the two rifles i own, but they are easily, that is easily brought to size, to fit. For my rifles about 0.4503" is about right.

Poly wads work good for me. Blackhorn powder works for me.

I'm trying a process to slug the barrel now. A sizing die is ok, but sizing and knurling is awkward unless I have to and saves me $ in the long run but prefer to buy retail and load as normal. This .45 thing is like .50's 20 years ago. Not many choices and pay to get it right. I'm cheap and an O.C. thanks for reply and your bullet test, I love all the detail you provide.

I have the same rifle and the Paramount also,, mine does shoot the factory LR bullets very good,, but it look a likes the pitman 40-cal 225 and a light blue sabot also,, get a sizing die ,, very easy to use and it opens up a lot of other options,,I'll shoot that gun with some sized bullets in the coming weeks and post the results for you

My Paramount with the 22 twist will shoot the 250 Furies in a hole, I do run them through a sizing die I just barely touch them shooting with a wool wad 85 grains of blackhorn by weight but I will shoot 70 by weight in the Acura I'll try to show you some group results maybe this week or weekend

If you intend to shoot longer ranges with bullet to bore, before its over you'll purchase a sizing die. If you don't have a reloading press, Arrowheadrifles sells a hand sizing tool. As Ron mentioned in post #2, size matters, even the slightest change matters. If you want to shoot more than one type bullet, say a 250 and 300gr, one size doesn't fit all every time. Even the slight variance of bearing surface on different bullets can make a difference on the die setting. You do not want a bullet to fall down the barrel and possibly move off the propellant while hunting. Sometimes how the bullet loads (force) can change group sizes.
Its fun to play and learn.

I have to get by wife shock first before the sizing die. I guess my best bet for now is getting .40 cal and using the harvester 45/40 light blue sabots. Heaviest I've seen are 230gn. I do like the pretty pointy versions. Truck vs Corvette just makes sense to me. That leaves Parker and 200gr SST or the TC version. Has anyone used those at 300yd range for deer. I've got a big 10pt teasing me, I'd like to get him before one of us dies from old age. LOL
KE drops pretty low (+ -) 800 ft lbs ?

Did shoot a doe antelope out a bit over 300 yard one year. Used the 200g SST, 115g Blackhorn, smooth light blue harvester sabot, W209 primer. Shot in it's bed; never was able to get up.

I don't think the 22 twist is going to stabilize a 40 cal bullet that's over 225 grain at least I haven't been able to get mine too,oh yeah you might have to sneak up on that ten-pointer then get a little closer to him,, I've shot my CVA Accura at 250 yards haven't gone out to 300 I need to do that

I don't think the 22 twist is going to stabilize a 40 cal bullet that's over 225 grain at least I haven't been able to get mine too,oh yeah you might have to sneak up on that ten-pointer then get a little closer to him,, I've shot my CVA Accura at 250 yards haven't gone out to 300 I need to do that
Oh, trust me I've tried, saw him 3 times this year, all at 300, he's slick, edge of private, comes out only to browse edge of hayfields. Had him once at 150, perfect shot, misfire. Found the problem, fixed, but sold the rifle anyway
"bad mojo"
What Parker .40 are you talking @225gr? I'm not finding one.

I think the Fury 40-250gr Startip (not 2) will stabilize in a 1-22 twist. I think its right at 1" long. If you can get a 250gr 40cal to shoot its a game changer for a 45cal ML even with BH209. It will benefit from the additional weight and the sectional density will rival the vast majority of 45cal jacketed bullet we shoot. You should be able to shoot a 45cal 250gr sabot load a little faster than a 50cal 250gr sabot load with the same amount of powder.

40-250gr Startip 2 is 1.15" long with tip and .995 without. Actual lead length is .875" so it might stabilize also.

Simple is..... well......Rather simple.....Shoot conicals. A 1-22 has no problem with conicals upto about 500gr. Sorta depends on MV and style. A longer ogive may not shoot as well.

Oh and...dont worry much about the 400gr max bullet weight. Just use some common sense when shooting large lead. You should never need over about 80gr by volume with any conical in a 45cal fast twist. Bullshop has a couple right around 400gr that look great. He even has a older 415ish grain HP mold he can size down.

It will be close to 415gr in pure lead or close to pure like a 40-1 alloy
https://bullshop.weebly.com/-45-caliber-cast-bullets.html
45 Caliber ~ Lee Moulds ~ .457 ~ 405 grains ~ HP

pMQiw6o.jpg

How does your gun group with the heavier bullets?? like that and does it increase recoil or is it about the same as many of the other common 250 and 300 grain bullets

Never shot my 1-22 for groups, Just enough to get MV and to get a rough idea. My Knight DISC 45 shoots them very well. 350s to 460s both shoot really well. Recoil is mild to me with a 350 but the 460 is a little brisk. It shot better with 80grV of BH209.
ApwGBUX.jpg

70grV though was totally acceptable...Shot on the left was first of the day from a cold totally clean bore.
74DoiNk.jpg

I'm getting a lot of data here and thank you guys. I've been looking at the precision rifle qt and dead center. They have the weight but pure lead. Finally found the Fury .40/45 and the tipped star tip looks really good. The bonded version might be a better bet. 40 fat.jpg 402.jpg That Pittmans a lot of bullet but a margin call in a 1:22.

Back