Handy storage for all the accessories

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlthegoat2

Reaction score
I am curious how everyone does this. I think there is room to improve my own method.

So this is mostly pertaining to the storage of all the “stuff”. Bullets/sabots, ramrod ends, cleaning supplies, breech plug tools, grease, primers/caps, range rod, etc. I have a one piece and a collapsible range rod so one will be easily stored but not so much the other one.

I use a Plano stowaway for fishing. It is a large one and I think I may need two more. At that point I might as well get a tackle bag. Before I do that I want to ask how everyone else does it.

Think of it as: You are going to the range with multiple guns. These guns will fire different bullets with different powder and may be different calibers. You may need to do a full detail cleaning while you are there and you may need to deal with other problems that require disassembly of the gun.

For the range with my inlines I use a large heavy plastic, tool box with a removable tray. I have every tool I might need in the box along with the bullets, sabots, primers and smokeless, BH and T7 filled powder charge tubes, patches and a small bottle of Hoppes and another with windex. I could carry out a small war with what that box carries. I just bought another smaller version of the box and plan to put everything in there that pertains to my smokeless adventure with the Patriot to keep things a little better organized.

For sidelocks I have a similar box that has nothing inline in it.

I'm sort of in Ed's camp on having boxes assigned to certain uses, but I don't think I need one for every gun. I am a big fan of keeping things unfettered while at the range though and feel its important that people try hard to make things a smooth as possible to avoid any mis-loads or other accidents that can happen when too much is going on at one time. Multiple boxes are a good idea in that regard.

The range I am a member of has a rifle range that I can back my van right up to within ten feet of the shooting benches, so I do. I leave all the equipment right in the back of the van which keeps the bench uncluttered for my shooting and also keeps the extra powder charges and primers away from where I am actually shooting. If it should start raining I can set the gun in the van and close the hatch up in ten seconds so its really handy.

I am frugal on my storage containers for the accessories. When i am done with the coffee can i reuse it into my ML storage, with each lid marked as to the contents. They are stored upon my ML work table. I have a shooting bag for each ML, each has its own tools so there will not be a mix up at any time shooting or hunting.

I have two plastic tool boxes with drawers I got at Home Depot a good 30 years ago. One is used for smokeless and the other for BP, both having necessary cleaning and maintenance items. Then I have a plastic ammo box with a tray from HF that transports the ammo/BP caps and powder to the range. Works out really well for me.

Last edited:
I just started putting all my stuff in a Rigid stackable tool box. The bottom main box has flasks labeled with all my powders as well as any other bottle I'll be using, cleaning supplies and other items suitable for all guns including tools.
The upper tray is for patches, bullets caps, flints and the like

I have a large Plano bag that has three trays. One tray is all I need to clean any of my MLs. The 2nd tray had tools needed to do any minor adjustments or repairs. The bottom tray has extras.

My small bag also has 3 trays. Top is .50, next is .45, and bottom is .44 caliber bullets/cartridges. The required powder/primers will fit into the bags.

Last edited:
Over the years now I've simplified and settled on three plastic toolbox-size storage containers for my muzzleloading stuff. One contains cleaning supplies; another contains load components; and one range box filled with select load components for that particular day.

This is what I came up with. I just got another Plano stowaway with a slightly different compartment configuration. I should be able to shoot, field strip, and clean any of my MLs with this setup. All I have is a 50 Omega, 54 Rem 700ML, and a 58 ASM Hawken.

I’ll need one more of the deep ones to be able to keep cleaning liquids in. Breech plug dip etc.

One thing is that I could also buy one of the bags made for these setups to have a handy transport option.

These are the 3700 size of anyone is wondering. I had to get that size because anything smaller and my break down range rod wouldn’t have fit. If you forgo that option the 3600 series seem to be a bit more friendly for this purpose and the smaller size makes them a bit more sturdy. I found nicer options with the 3600 series as well. Such as compartmentalized deep containers. The 3700s only seemed to have big open deep options.

The one on the left is my older one and I don’t have dividers for it anymore so I am stuck with what I have there.

IMG_3086.jpeg

Besides my previous post I just picked up several of those plastic fishing lure boxes that will fit in my bigger box. These are going to be for all the smaller items, flints, tools, tins of caps, etc. I got one for each caliber and an extra one for things that will work for all of them.

I have been using the MTM Muzzeloader boxes, for each rifle.
I have 2 of those MTM shooting boxes and they are great. Had them for about 20 years. I have one for archery stuff and the other was for muzzleloading stuff. I had to retire the ML one because the plastic lid that on the top that snapped in place so you could close the box broke and occasionally everything in that top portion would fall out. I got tired of picking all of it up and sorting it back out again. Now I have the stackable boxes.

If i did not have so many different calibers, i would be fine with very little stacked up n having to look through this n that. So if i had just one rifle in each style like 1 rock sparker n one percussion things would be much easier on myself.

I just use a tool box that I have loaded with all my needed shooting supplies

MLTools2.jpg

Back