As Straight as I can Give it

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Fanboy

Supporting Member
Supporting member
Reaction score
Black Powder, Pyrodex, Black Horn 209, Triple 7? Which one is best?

I get asked a lot which one is best? Black Powder, Blackhorn 209, Triple 7 or Pyrodex There is NO WRONG or RIGHT ANSWER my experiences I choose Pyrodex 1) Availability, 2) Cost 3) Works across the board for MY NEEDS.
Thus being said Black Powder is awesome I`d probably use more of it if it were more accessible to me,
My experience with Blackhorn 209 I do not use it I have tried and well not every 209 primer will ignite it, not great in percussion weapons either. That does not mean do not use it or that it is inferior it does mean it is inferior to Pyrodex FOR MY NEEDS. at $95 for 8 ounces one would figure it works like the others, that is a wrong assumption.
Triple 7 is good will cover all my needs, cost is usually $16 more per pound than Pyrodex

As far as "Cleaner" no matter which one is used you have to clean rifles/revolvers/pistols with the same methods after the use of either one. I rod between the second and 3rd shots of each Triple 7, Black Powder, Blackhorn 209, Pyrodex the fouled award tied between Black Powder and Pyrodex the Triple 7 and Blackhorn is a little cleaner could go a few more shots between rodding, but as remains at the end of the day all have to be scrubbed is there a "CLEANER?" my rod/swab on 2nd or 3rd shot is more for safety than cleaning, I like paper cartridges, dropping charges from a flask I want to get rid of hot embers & left paper if any.

Ignition Sources Well Blackhorn as I found out needs a particular primer, trying to save a little money on a cheaper primer to compensate the cost of 209 well no it is not going to ignite it needs more expensive primers as well, Pyrodex, Triple 7, Black Powder do not have the issues heat/spark is heat/spark we go boom

As to is there a best? I shoot revolver, pistol, in-line, percussion I find Pyrodex serves across the panel no hang ups, Straight Flint Lock Folks Black Powder is best for those. In-Lines well lets be clear Today`s Black Powder In-Lines are more suited for the Blackhorn.
Bottom Line: Pick Your Poison, One that serves the needs you need it to. Stick with it. No Right or Wrong just what works Instead of having 1 can Blackhorn 1 can Black Powder 1 can Pyrodex 1 can Triple 7 and ignition sources to suit, I got 1 can PS Pyrodex, 1 can RS Pyrodex and whatever ignition source I choose. just simplifies it for me.

Is there a BETTER? or CLEANER? NO as stated it is What Works for my needs, What is Available, What is Affordable.
New Shooters, Beginners Struggling and those just wondering about the excitement the question poses well there ya have it What is best may not be Available, What is Best May not work with your Primers, What is Best may not be Affordable, What is Best Might cause over pressure issues. What is BEST? is only what works for the shooter, firearm, primers and level of maintenance one is willing to contribute BOTH while shooting and After in the clean up process. What is Best? is only what works it maybe Triple 7 Hornady 209 primers & White Hot Pellets and Remington 209 Primers, Blackhorn and Winchester 209s, Black Powder any primer, Pyrodex and Federal Primers no right or wrong just whatever works. For me that is the fun finding the recipe that works delivering 2 to 2.5 inch shot groups with PRB (Patched Round Ball) at 100 yards or the Same 2-2.5 inches at 100 with a sabot. So the only right is working the load, only wrong is not doing so and being 12 inches high at 100 yards, well he said this works!! very well maybe in the firearm he shoots, yours may not like it, rifling may be different he could have a custom barrel. I know I know it is as straight as a par 4 following a sidewinders path. I think you do understand??

I gotta say that just getting back into the BP game after decades of not shooting them, can be overwhelming, thanks for the advice

I use anything I can get ahold of, But different weapons are more compatible to different powders. My only con with pyrodex is it degrades the fastest. Load data can vary the most.

I use anything I can get ahold of, But different weapons are more compatible to different powders. My only con with pyrodex is it degrades the fastest. Load data can vary the most.
What do you mean degrade? Can the powder be checked somehow to see if it has degraded?

Black Powder, Pyrodex, Black Horn 209, Triple 7? Which one is best?

I get asked a lot which one is best? Black Powder, Blackhorn 209, Triple 7 or Pyrodex There is NO WRONG or RIGHT ANSWER my experiences I choose Pyrodex 1) Availability, 2) Cost 3) Works across the board for MY NEEDS.
Thus being said Black Powder is awesome I`d probably use more of it if it were more accessible to me,
My experience with Blackhorn 209 I do not use it I have tried and well not every 209 primer will ignite it, not great in percussion weapons either. That does not mean do not use it or that it is inferior it does mean it is inferior to Pyrodex FOR MY NEEDS. at $95 for 8 ounces one would figure it works like the others, that is a wrong assumption.
Triple 7 is good will cover all my needs, cost is usually $16 more per pound than Pyrodex

As far as "Cleaner" no matter which one is used you have to clean rifles/revolvers/pistols with the same methods after the use of either one. I rod between the second and 3rd shots of each Triple 7, Black Powder, Blackhorn 209, Pyrodex the fouled award tied between Black Powder and Pyrodex the Triple 7 and Blackhorn is a little cleaner could go a few more shots between rodding, but as remains at the end of the day all have to be scrubbed is there a "CLEANER?" my rod/swab on 2nd or 3rd shot is more for safety than cleaning, I like paper cartridges, dropping charges from a flask I want to get rid of hot embers & left paper if any.

Ignition Sources Well Blackhorn as I found out needs a particular primer, trying to save a little money on a cheaper primer to compensate the cost of 209 well no it is not going to ignite it needs more expensive primers as well, Pyrodex, Triple 7, Black Powder do not have the issues heat/spark is heat/spark we go boom

As to is there a best? I shoot revolver, pistol, in-line, percussion I find Pyrodex serves across the panel no hang ups, Straight Flint Lock Folks Black Powder is best for those. In-Lines well lets be clear Today`s Black Powder In-Lines are more suited for the Blackhorn.
Bottom Line: Pick Your Poison, One that serves the needs you need it to. Stick with it. No Right or Wrong just what works Instead of having 1 can Blackhorn 1 can Black Powder 1 can Pyrodex 1 can Triple 7 and ignition sources to suit, I got 1 can PS Pyrodex, 1 can RS Pyrodex and whatever ignition source I choose. just simplifies it for me.

Is there a BETTER? or CLEANER? NO as stated it is What Works for my needs, What is Available, What is Affordable.
New Shooters, Beginners Struggling and those just wondering about the excitement the question poses well there ya have it What is best may not be Available, What is Best May not work with your Primers, What is Best may not be Affordable, What is Best Might cause over pressure issues. What is BEST? is only what works for the shooter, firearm, primers and level of maintenance one is willing to contribute BOTH while shooting and After in the clean up process. What is Best? is only what works it maybe Triple 7 Hornady 209 primers & White Hot Pellets and Remington 209 Primers, Blackhorn and Winchester 209s, Black Powder any primer, Pyrodex and Federal Primers no right or wrong just whatever works. For me that is the fun finding the recipe that works delivering 2 to 2.5 inch shot groups with PRB (Patched Round Ball) at 100 yards or the Same 2-2.5 inches at 100 with a sabot. So the only right is working the load, only wrong is not doing so and being 12 inches high at 100 yards, well he said this works!! very well maybe in the firearm he shoots, yours may not like it, rifling may be different he could have a custom barrel. I know I know it is as straight as a par 4 following a sidewinders path. I think you do understand??
None of them are good...lol...
You left out the best powder.....lol.....🚭

Here we go again. This debate will continue forever just like what CF cartridge is the best at deer camps across the country.
Use what you want from original black powder to BH-209 or smokeless in a conversion only and don't worry about what others think.
If you're happy with what you're using - good for you.
Clem, i agree with you 100%. But we all know the best deer cartridge is the 280Rem!!😂. Seriously though no matter what you have if it works for you use it. My grandson has a Ruger All American in 7MM-08. He has harvested plenty of deer and South African plains game with it. He just went out bought a lever action 30-30 rifle. He loves the way it looks, feels and knows where he hunts a 30-30 will do just fine.
Regarding Black powder to Bh209. Use what your ML likes and what you can afford depending on the amount of shooting you do and just have fun!

Clem, i agree with you 100%. But we all know the best deer cartridge is the 280Rem!!😂. Seriously though no matter what you have if it works for you use it. My grandson has a Ruger All American in 7MM-08. He has harvested plenty of deer and South African plains game with it. He just went out bought a lever action 30-30 rifle. He loves the way it looks, feels and knows where he hunts a 30-30 will do just fine.
Regarding Black powder to Bh209. Use what your ML likes and what you can afford depending on the amount of shooting you do and just have fun!
I agree with that caliber, 280 Rem, but you left out 2 letters, AI. 280 AI make the 280 Rem, the mostest bestest greatest deer cartridge!!
But over the past few years the 35 caliber has been my go to deer medicine. I guess I got 2 sweethearts!!!!

Geez there are so many good ones. I am going to share my 3 favorite cartridge rifles. My Pa owned 2 rifles in following cal.'s you could not give any other. I will give his proof. # 1 Rem. 35 screw pump model 141, # 2 Swede model 96 6.5x55. Here is his proof #1 Kodiak Bear over 10' sq. took with one shot from 35 Rem. #2 another Kodiak Bear 10 '+one shot from his Swede. I love them both, my choice is the .260, all i hunt is deer & hogs

Swiss Holy Black. 3f for me. Accurate, powerful, not terribly dirty ( for black) and amazingly consistent. No special primers or breechplugs necessary. No fuss.
Switzerland.
Hate the chocolate.
LOVE the powder.

The most devastating shot I've ever seen on a deer was with a 257 Weatherby Mag. Shot was about 325-350 yards slightly quartering to. My cousin shot it from his wheel chair while sitting on a power line. He guided his brother to it and the pics he sent me were gruesome to say the least. Shot was perfect behind the shoulder and the exit was a gapping gash with the innards coming out. He said he had to shove everything back in so he could field dress it.
As for my front stuffers I use an array of black powder and subs depending on the rifle. I like to experiment with powders and bullets. Its a blast. REALLY

Geez there are so many good ones. I am going to share my 3 favorite cartridge rifles. My Pa owned 2 rifles in following cal.'s you could not give any other. I will give his proof. # 1 Rem. 35 screw pump model 141, # 2 Swede model 96 6.5x55. Here is his proof #1 Kodiak Bear over 10' sq. took with one shot from 35 Rem. #2 another Kodiak Bear 10 '+one shot from his Swede. I love them both, my choice is the .260, all i hunt is deer & hogs
My grandpa had 2) 35 Rem model 141's that he gave one to my father & the other to me when I was about 16. That was my first deer rifle & that's all I used until my late 20's before I got a HP rifle with a scope. I had to sell mine a cpl yrs ago, but my mother still has the one my father had. Thats a 150yd deer sledgehammer with 200g bullets

Back