Handguns and deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still appreciate a little recoil.
I s'pose I'll grow up one day
Thanks, Mossy

That is some fine shootin', valkyrie
I commend you
Them nickle brass are awful purty, too!
Thanks, man!
Along those lines of chambering, I too had a stainless 35 Rem barrel and with far too much investment added a brake for carbine use and rechamber to .358x444 improved. Wow, what a bear!
Alpo xtra sm.jpg

Last edited:
I to have a G1 Contender with a super 14" 35 Remington barrel. Gemihur I like your carbine. The muzzle brake, to be legal, has to be made permanent correct? I would have no problem doing that to one barrel. I have several barrels i could trade for another if i need to. Tell me more about your .358x444 Imp. Is it blown out 35 rem case or a 444 marlin case? I have always had a hankering for a .458 X 2 American. I dont know why. I love this stuff.

DL

Last edited:
Nice TC Contenders on here!!! I regert trading mine away, live and learn ( why always the hard way)?

I have to ask does anyone have any idea where a guy could find a Contender any place? I have money burning a hole in my pocket for one again.

The main handgun I carry to hunt with is a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt 5" barrel works real well. Also have a S&W MOD 27 with 6" barrel I have used over the years as well.

If I don't take my Ruger Old Army I always grab this one for around here in timber or out in the open. MOA Pistol- .376 Steyr, 15" bull with MOA break, 2 lb. trigger, falling block action and Burris 3x12 Ballistic flex scope. I shoot a Hornady 225 grain interlock with Varget powder. The target is one of the firsts range sessions. It is shooting under 2" now with different powder charge and light crimp.
The two rounds next to the pistol are the .376 Steyr , 225 grn. Hornady and a 222 Rem Mag for my Contender. It takes a lot to take down a whitetail in Oklahoma. 🤪
It's a hoot to light this one up at dawn or dusk. o_O
376Steyrside-1.jpg

376Steyrand223Rem.jpg

376Steyr1stTarget.jpg

Nice TC Contenders on here!!! I regert trading mine away, live and learn ( why always the hard way)?

I have to ask does anyone have any idea where a guy could find a Contender any place? I have money burning a hole in my pocket for one again.

The main handgun I carry to hunt with is a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt 5" barrel works real well. Also have a S&W MOD 27 with 6" barrel I have used over the years as well.

Check the gun shows. In the North Texas area there is always a dealer who has lots of Contender stuff. I still look for super 14" barrels for mine.
DL

Check the gun shows. In the North Texas area there is always a dealer who has lots of Contender stuff. I still look for super 14" barrels for mine.
DL

Thanks Desperate, We don't see them on tables out here in South Dakota. At least not the shows we have in the West River area. I will continue to check though.

I to have a G1 Contender with a super 14" 35 Remington barrel. Gemihur I like your carbine. The muzzle brake, to be legal, has to be made permanent correct? I would have no problem doing that to one barrel. I have several barrels i could trade for another if i need to. Tell me more about your .358x444 Imp. Is it blown out 35 rem case or a 444 marlin case? I have always had a hankering for a .458 X 2 American. I dont know why. I love this stuff.

DL
Mornin' DL..Years ago I built a 458 X 2 American on a Rem 600. 20" BBL. My friends called it E F Hutton " When it spoke everybody listened" (old comm) and pretty damn rowdy to hold onto! Isn't it the same ctg that marlin renamed the 450 Marlin ?? and claimed it as theirs !.............Mossie

Mornin' DL..Years ago I built a 458 X 2 American on a Rem 600. 20" BBL. My friends called it E F Hutton " When it spoke everybody listened" (old comm) and pretty damn rowdy to hold onto! Isn't it the same ctg that marlin renamed the 450 Marlin ?? and claimed it as theirs !.............Mossie

That i dont know. But it could be. My " Cartridges of the World " did not say any of that. I just know ballistics looked pretty impressive and it would fit on a standard action.
DL

Dear Black Hills
I noticed with good interest your reference to .45 Ruger Bisley for deer
I too have one (but with 7.5") barrel.
Could you share briefly what ammo you use for deer and
how well it has worked.
Thank you

rick rencher
(aka Eshink of the Bear Clan)

BLK HILLS, Don't know what caliber you are looking for but there is a guy about 30 minutes from me, Eds Contenders, that has a whole building full of Contender frames, barrels ,grips, fore ends, Encore frames, barrels, handgun length and pistol length. Here is his website. Eds Contenders
This may be the same person that Desperate Lee is talking about. He goes all over the country and usually has about 8 to 10 tables full of Contender barrels, frames, grips, forends and Encore goodies also. I just traded a .222 Remington Contender barrel and some cash for an Encore 22 WMR pistol barrel. Look at what he has. When you get on his website, most of the new barrels are under the "Hot New Items" link. When you decide what you might want, call or email him and see if he has it and if you are looking for a package deal, he might cut you a deal. His business is next door to the post office so he will just package it up and walk next door and ship.
When you decide, shoot me a private message (conversation). He had a like new 12" 44 Mag Contender barrel in there that I was eyeballing. I had one in 14" but it was just a little long for my liking.
Mike
Here is my 45-70 Contender I just picked up this barrel last spring.
SSK45-70warrestorbreak2_zps9b47fc7f.jpg

Dear Black Hills
I noticed with good interest your reference to .45 Ruger Bisley for deer
I too have one (but with 7.5") barrel.
Could you share briefly what ammo you use for deer and
how well it has worked.
Thank you

rick rencher
(aka Eshink of the Bear Clan)

Rick,
The loads that I have used and like the most are:

300 grain Hornady with 21 grains of WIN 296 1250 fps have does well on deer and will stop a hog.

Second load is 250 grain XTP 20.5 grains of 2400

Third is 240 grain Hornady 23 grains of 2400

Stopping power is more than enough but as we all know shot placement and bullet expansion are king in determining on effectiveness of a round. I do not have pictrues as Iam not one that takes a lot of pictures. I guess I should start though.

BLK HILLS, Don't know what caliber you are looking for but there is a guy about 30 minutes from me, Eds Contenders, that has a whole building full of Contender frames, barrels ,grips, fore ends, Encore frames, barrels, handgun length and pistol length. Here is his website. Eds Contenders
This may be the same person that Desperate Lee is talking about. He goes all over the country and usually has about 8 to 10 tables full of Contender barrels, frames, grips, forends and Encore goodies also. I just traded a .222 Remington Contender barrel and some cash for an Encore 22 WMR pistol barrel. Look at what he has. When you get on his website, most of the new barrels are under the "Hot New Items" link. When you decide what you might want, call or email him and see if he has it and if you are looking for a package deal, he might cut you a deal. His business is next door to the post office so he will just package it up and walk next door and ship.
When you decide, shoot me a private message (conversation). He had a like new 12" 44 Mag Contender barrel in there that I was eyeballing. I had one in 14" but it was just a little long for my liking.
Mike
Here is my 45-70 Contender I just picked up this barrel last spring.
SSK45-70warrestorbreak2_zps9b47fc7f.jpg
Mike thanks for the detailed info and the link. I will be looking at the site today and will hit you upvia private message.

Thanks!

Some of my pistol barrels are used as carbines with the addition of permanent brakes.
The 358x444 Improved is also referred to as the 358 Alpo. Yes it's the 444 Marlin necked down using shortened 35 Whelen Imp dies. Similar to a JDJ but with an Ackley shoulder. Fits right in with my 375 JDJ, 7mm Bellm & 308 Bellm barrels .
308 Bellm w cherry furniture.JPG

Last edited:
Nice pics. I am on my 2nd TC, let the first one (10"44mag) get away from me back in the 70's. Now have a G2 in 357 Max. 12" MGM barrel. Really like the Max, goes good with my 357 mag Marlin rifle and 35 Whelen improved rifle.TC 1 (2).jpg

Nice pics. I am on my 2nd TC, let the first one (10"44mag) get away from me back in the 70's. Now have a G2 in 357 Max. 12" MGM barrel. Really like the Max, goes good with my 357 mag Marlin rifle and 35 Whelen improved rifle.View attachment 3221

Nice iron. I have 2 TC Contenders. One has the 10" 45-410 barrel with choke on it. Thats my varmint snake charmer. Stays in gun case with a box of 2 3/4 shell right by it. It belonged to my dad ,God rest his soul. The other sports a 10" 7 mm TCU barrel or a 10" 357 Maximum barrel or normally a Super 14" bull barrel in 35 Remington. All are handloads. 140 grain Sierra Spire Point for the TCU and 158 or 180 grain Rem Core Locks for the two 35's. I have a couple barrels taking up space in cabinet i need to take to a gun show and get rid of them.
DL

Nice iron. I have 2 TC Contenders. One has the 10" 45-410 barrel with choke on it. Thats my varmint snake charmer. Stays in gun case with a box of 2 3/4 shell right by it. It belonged to my dad ,God rest his soul. The other sports a 10" 7 mm TCU barrel or a 10" 357 Maximum barrel or normally a Super 14" bull barrel in 35 Remington. All are handloads. 140 grain Sierra Spire Point for the TCU and 158 or 180 grain Rem Core Locks for the two 35's. I have a couple barrels taking up space in cabinet i need to take to a gun show and get rid of them.
DL
What barrels do you have that might go to the gunshow?

Back