Help, Semi-Auto rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigBoresmokepole & Les Harris, asking for a friend of mine: How long have you humped an M16 and/or M4 series weapon & how many FFs have you two been in? That's Fire Fights for those in Rio Linda.
mgtk4.jpg
Us Army officer Company commander and Vietnam vet,.

So when you say that, are you basing that information off of statistical data or your personal experience?

Again, personal preference but you can’t get your hands on parts when your mini does have parts that need replacing you would be harder pressed to find them. That’s ultimately the point that I tried to make.

If you want reliability go with a bolt action I have Carcanos that are over a hundred years old that still work.
I have more than one I can fix it really easy . Most times I can use a file . I do have some experience machining things. I have bolt guns and pump action and some levers and autos guns are not new to me. Keep your Ars I m happy for you and keep tuning them things up they are good guns just not my cup of tea anymore. Back to muzzy stuff for me by by .

I spent some time working on weapons at a armory in south Carolina on a base and taken them things apart inspecting and cleaning gas ports and adjusting chit . Don't get me wrong Ars are a good weapon just high maintenance I like the m4 series the best in 308 . I sold my ARs just because maintenance on them rifles are alot . M1 rifles break down and clean up fast ,ARs are more accurate to but I can hit chit at 200yds with open sites that's all I need for me. Like what you want I don't care buy what you can shoot well and get ammo for it
What M4 Series was 7.62/.308?

Us Army officer Company commander and Vietnam vet,.
You are stuck back in Robert S. McNamera's VN time-line of stupidity with the M16. (A) Harvard educated beyond his intelligence B) Never produced a da-da-damn thing is his life that required his personal EE/ME/Chemistry knowledge C) "Knew Moar" than the inventing engineer that gave all specs for production and maintenance of said rifle D) yada).

OP, there's not anything close to the M/AR design as a primary tool to survive an FF, day or night, and then be able to pick up the kewl stuff off the ground in the morning.

I'm outahere.

Nato rounds are usually available.
According to my USMC son, if/when SHTF, ALL NATO rounds will be sucked up by military, LDF, and LEO's.
Years ago on his advice I purchased a single shot break open 12 Ga and an insert set from X-Caliber Insert Set for the time that ammo becomes scarce...
1697419752331.png Some are rifled and some are not...definitely not a snipe type but will help put food on the table

According to my USMC son, if/when SHTF, ALL NATO rounds will be sucked up by military, LDF, and LEO's.
Years ago on his advice I purchased a single shot break open 12 Ga and an insert set from X-Caliber Insert Set for the time that ammo becomes scarce...
View attachment 38098 Some are rifled and some are not...definitely not a snipe type but will help put food on the table
You bring up a very valid point.

While the nato calibers maybe in high demand by the powers that remain I am thinking of private sector stock piles.

Also, if the ammo factories go down nato will be produced until “the end” whenever that may be.

Think of all the civilian ar’s sold in America and all of the like minded folks who prep. I bet you they are not stockpiling 350 legend. It’s 5.56 all day some 300 blk some 458 socom and 12 g. 9mm for pistols.

This is driven by the cost of ammo as well. Usually 556 is cheaper than most other ammo because it is so widely used and so much of it is produced.

Recent history… post Covid ammo shortages. The calibers that came back 1st in my area were nato calibers. They were specifically 556 and 9mm.

Not to mention if all is lost and the eagle is truly down all the military bases are stocked with 556 ripe for the plunder.

And again when you have to trade for the last can of coke in the world I guarantee you that Joe, Bob and big hoss are only going to be interested in feeding their ar chambered in 556. The trick will be to leave with the soda without getting shot with your own bullets. Lol

Great discussion! I enjoy talking about these scenarios with multiple like minded people because well hell I don’t know it all and other peoples ideas and thoughts just add to it all.

Just to keep things interesting though I do have a stash of certain choice calibers 9mm, 556, 300 blk, 224 Valk, 7.62 and a shooot ton of 12g in various configurations from slugs down to no 8. And of course 22lr (25k strong) because all though 22 ain’t exactly the man killer bullet it’s small light and compact.

If I had to bug out the 556 and 22 are the first in the bag and just so you know I really dislike 556

Last edited:
View attachment 38098 Some are rifled and some are not...definitely not a snipe type but will help put food on the table
Excellent idea! Probably one of the best ways to stay fluid. Carry a 12 gauge carry your inserts and whatever ammo comes your way and you have an insert for you’re good to go.

Not without its limitations. The biggest one being it’s a single shot. That’s going to be hard to defend against a group of people with 30 round mags.

You bring up a very valid point.

While the nato calibers maybe in high demand by the powers that remain I am thinking of private sector stock piles.

Also, if the ammo factories go down nato will be produced until “the end” whenever that may be.

Think of all the civilian ar’s sold in America and all of the like minded folks who prep. I bet you they are not stockpiling 350 legend. It’s 5.56 all day some 300 blk some 458 socom and 12 g. 9mm for pistols.

This is driven by the cost of ammo as well. Usually 556 is cheaper than most other ammo because it is so widely used and so much of it is produced.

Recent history… post Covid ammo shortages. The calibers that came back 1st in my area were nato calibers. They were specifically 556 and 9mm.

Not to mention if all is lost and the eagle is truly down all the military bases are stocked with 556 ripe for the plunder.

And again when you have to trade for the last can of coke in the world I guarantee you that Joe, Bob and big hoss are only going to be interested in feeding their ar chambered in 556. The trick will be to leave with the soda without getting shot with your own bullets. Lol

Great discussion! I enjoy talking about these scenarios with multiple like minded people because well hell I don’t know it all and other peoples ideas and thoughts just add to it all.

Just to keep things interesting though I do have a stash of certain choice calibers 9mm, 556, 300 blk, 224 Valk, 7.62 and a shooot ton of 12g in various configurations from slugs down to no 8. And of course 22lr (25k strong) because all though 22 ain’t exactly the man killer bullet it’s small light and compact.

If I had to bug out the 556 and 22 are the first in the bag and just so you know I really dislike 556
They are waiting on you to get 556 and 22 lfl

Last edited:
You are numb nuts and the village idiot . I can use a slingshot and stop you
I'll ask you one more time about your statement "I like the m4 series the best in 308."

As for me being a numbnuts and the village idiot... What have I said that incorrect or just lies that encourages those two adjectives?
10yrs USMC
8541 Old School
Stone Bay 2nd MarDiv, 2nd MarDiv Division Schools, Scout Sniper School.
Taught it before it was kewl just to earn being one, my last two years.
As for your abilities with a sling shot, I bet that it doesn't take the integral f(x) by separation of parts
to figure out the solution set of a 1 Click Grid Stalk. You never stretching rubber
before my spork removes you nether regions. And I'm a damaged old man, thus only 10yrs in the Corps.

I earned it:
PA020076 (1).jpg

For the slow students:
PA020074 (1).jpg
Cpl. Grady Graves of Tennessee designed our sweatshirts. A fine Marine. A fine S/S. That's Scout Sniper for those in Rio Linda.

Just read this article from my favorite news source.
Seems those dedicated to skullduggery have figured out while the southern border is all in the news, our other, larger border proves an easier point of access.
Notice Gov Sununu's statement about 85% of those on the terror watch list were captured in the north.

Latest posts

Back