Handguns and deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No shots past 100 yards have ever occurred when I've been deer hunting with a revolver. While most fell to a couple of my .357s that longest kill was with a .44 mag SBH. It was a 90 yard shot and he dropped in his footie prints. I've owned a couple of Contenders but never hunted with them or really warmed up to them. I preferred deer hunting with a holster gun and stock open sights.

If i could see better i would use open sights. On rifles not too bad, on handguns it has to be scoped beyond 50 yards for a clean kill. I have 3 barrels for my 2 contender frames, 10" 7 mm TCU, 10" . 357 MAXIMUM, SUPER 14" . 35 REMINGTON. All are setup for hunting 100 yards plus. Havent really hunted with them for years though.
DL
:thumbs up:

I might have to try a little deer hunting this year with a Pedersoli muzzleloader pistol. I purchased a Bounty Hunter in .50 caliber just to play with and it's supposed to be delivered today. I'll have to get it out and sight it in and work up a load, but I have a sneaky feeling it will shoot good.....although with a 16" barrel it will be strange.

I may get back into short gun deer hunting later on. If my vision improves any from the surgery I'll see about trying it again.

Since I don't shoot a variety of handguns hand grip
If i could see better i would use open sights. On rifles not too bad, on handguns it has to be scoped beyond 50 yards for a clean kill. I have 3 barrels for my 2 contender frames, 10" 7 mm TCU, 10" . 357 MAXIMUM, SUPER 14" . 35 REMINGTON. All are setup for hunting 100 yards plus. Havent really hunted with them for years though.
DL
:thumbs up:
Same with me at 64 as far as hunting options go with a handgun. Unfortunately :(my state does not allow deer hunting with any handgun. If I were in your shoes I'd take advantage of any opportunity to hunt deer legally with a handgun while you still can.

I might have to try a little deer hunting this year with a Pedersoli muzzleloader pistol. I purchased a Bounty Hunter in .50 caliber just to play with and it's supposed to be delivered today. I'll have to get it out and sight it in and work up a load, but I have a sneaky feeling it will shoot good.....although with a 16" barrel it will be strange.
I shot a small fork horn last year with a Lyman .54 Plains Pistol from my tree stand. The shot was about 20 yards, and the ball entered between the shoulder blades on the top of the deer and exited out the brisket. DRT. I also took a wild boar with a .50 caliber 12" barrel on my T/C Contender. That was fun, but I had my brother-in-law backing me up with his 454 just in case.

I shot a small fork horn last year with a Lyman .54 Plains Pistol from my tree stand. The shot was about 20 yards, and the ball entered between the shoulder blades on the top of the deer and exited out the brisket. DRT. I also took a wild boar with a .50 caliber 12" barrel on my T/C Contender. That was fun, but I had my brother-in-law backing me up with his 454 just in case.
I got my Bounty Hunter delivered to me this afternoon, but it has a problem I need to address before I can do much with it. It must have about a 20 lb. trigger pull that just isn't going to work for me. The hammer is really stiff to pull back as well, so I suspect maybe the main spring is just too darned heavy. I sent an e-mail to Pedersoli and we'll see what can be done. I would like to get it working for some hog hunting, and maybe range use as well.

I got my Bounty Hunter delivered to me this afternoon, but it has a problem I need to address before I can do much with it. It must have about a 20 lb. trigger pull that just isn't going to work for me. The hammer is really stiff to pull back as well, so I suspect maybe the main spring is just too darned heavy. I sent an e-mail to Pedersoli and we'll see what can be done. I would like to get it working for some hog hunting, and maybe range use as well.
I would take the lock out of the gun to check it for excessive grease. Pedersoli likes to pack the grease on their guns for shipment to the states for rust protection. With the lock out, after cleaning or de-greasing you can test the function of the sear and hammer.

Finally after over 20 years of owning this Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag, I'm going to due a trigger job with the Wolffs spring kit and shim kit. The current SA trigger pull is around 7 lbs. and the DA trigger pull is around 12 lbs.
The kit should get my SA pull down around 3 lbs. which is much more acceptable. Then we take it for deer on the eastern Colorado plains in Dec.

I would take the lock out of the gun to check it for excessive grease. Pedersoli likes to pack the grease on their guns for shipment to the states for rust protection. With the lock out, after cleaning or de-greasing you can test the function of the sear and hammer.
Pedersoli referred me to Lee Shaver who apparently does a lot of their warranty work. I called him and he said he had another one with the same problem. He said it was related to the sear spring pointing too far down probably. Anyway, he said to just send it to him and he would get things corrected. I removed the lock from a Pedersoli Kentucky I have and put it on the Bounty Hunter for a temporary fix while I am waiting for the other one to come back. It lowered the spring pressure.....easier to cock the hammer and easier trigger pull.

I need to take mine hunting this year . Got it in a trade several years ago only shot it a few times very accurate just love my Contenders for handgun S&W 686 (800x600).jpghunting

Finally after over 20 years of owning this Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag, I'm going to due a trigger job with the Wolffs spring kit and shim kit. The current SA trigger pull is around 7 lbs. and the DA trigger pull is around 12 lbs.
The kit should get my SA pull down around 3 lbs. which is much more acceptable. Then we take it for deer on the eastern Colorado plains in Dec.
Ordered this on Aug. 18th. Company located in Pennsylvania. They didn't ship until Sept. 3 and it is still in PA.
My son ordered some rolls of plastic for his 3D printer from Czech Republic...4 days later it's here...of course that was Fedex...go figure.

I might get around to trying this on deer this season, if I can get it all together where I want it. It's a Pedersoli Bounty Hunter, which has just over a 16" barrel in .50 caliber. Lee Shaver still has the original lock and is doing some tweaking on it, and I am on my third set of sights so far, trying to get a set that I like for it. I think the sights are getting close at least. I have had it to the range a few times thus far, and I managed just under 1 1/2 inches at 25 yards shooting from a rest.....but I think it's capable of better than that.
I'm going to a muzzleloader shoot on Sunday, and I guess I'll take it and see how I do out there.
1nBZsy6l.jpg

I picked up my 686 about near 35 years ago and really love that fine revolver. Most of my smokeless handgun deer were killed with it. But my 1972 S&W 4" M19 took deer as well. I then started hunting with my 3-screw Ruger .41 and really liked it for whitetails. Later I started ringing out my 3-screw SBH on deer. To say it worked wonderfully is an understatement. Decided the .41 BH was the best pick since it was lighter than the Super. A deer or two succumbed to my 5" S&W M27. The only thing I ever shot with a c&b revolver was a turkey vulture. I made a great shot on the flying bird and was shocked when it collapsed in flight and hit the ground. The friend who was with me had trouble stuffing his eyeballs back in for weeks after witnessing that shot! Thought about getting a deer with my .50 flint pistol and may do that.
My SBH.
DSC00403.jpg

BH .41.
DSC00325.jpg

.357 M19.
DSC00316.jpg

.50 flint.
PICT0369-1-zps544bf87a.jpg

.357 M27.
84bd7cab-67c1-479b-af34-b82075d92dc8-zpsc860fcc2.jpg

The fabulous 686 ,357.
DSC00312.jpg

I've likely posted these before so my apologies. These are my stalwarts and they handle everything.

I might get around to trying this on deer this season, if I can get it all together where I want it. It's a Pedersoli Bounty Hunter, which has just over a 16" barrel in .50 caliber. Lee Shaver still has the original lock and is doing some tweaking on it, and I am on my third set of sights so far, trying to get a set that I like for it. I think the sights are getting close at least. I have had it to the range a few times thus far, and I managed just under 1 1/2 inches at 25 yards shooting from a rest.....but I think it's capable of better than that.
I'm going to a muzzleloader shoot on Sunday, and I guess I'll take it and see how I do out there.
1nBZsy6l.jpg

I need to take mine hunting this year . Got it in a trade several years ago only shot it a few times very accurate just love my Contenders for handgun View attachment 2636hunting
I need to take mine hunting this year . Got it in a trade several years ago only shot it a few times very accurate just love my Contenders for handgun View attachment 2636hunting
I picked up my 686 about near 35 years ago and really love that fine revolver. Most of my smokeless handgun deer were killed with it. But my 1972 S&W 4" M19 took deer as well. I then started hunting with my 3-screw Ruger .41 and really liked it for whitetails. Later I started ringing out my 3-screw SBH on deer. To say it worked wonderfully is an understatement. Decided the .41 BH was the best pick since it was lighter than the Super. A deer or two succumbed to my 5" S&W M27. The only thing I ever shot with a c&b revolver was a turkey vulture. I made a great shot on the flying bird and was shocked when it collapsed in flight and hit the ground. The friend who was with me had trouble stuffing his eyeballs back in for weeks after witnessing that shot! Thought about getting a deer with my .50 flint pistol and may do that.
My SBH.
DSC00403.jpg

BH .41.
DSC00325.jpg

.357 M19.
DSC00316.jpg

.50 flint.
PICT0369-1-zps544bf87a.jpg

.357 M27.
84bd7cab-67c1-479b-af34-b82075d92dc8-zpsc860fcc2.jpg

The fabulous 686 ,357.
DSC00312.jpg

I've likely posted these before so my apologies. These are my stalwarts and they handle everything.
Deer with a handgun sidelock...now you're talking bragging rights.

I have the 1847 Colt Walker .44 repro. Surprisingly, a very accurate revolver. Haven't shot it very much, but, believe I will start more shooting with it. Need to find it's sweet spot. I may experiment to see what range I can get to with accuracy.

Got the springs in yesterday for my Ruger Super Redhawk, .44 mag, 9.5" barrel.
Installed the springs today with help from Jon & Stan. This made a significant difference. Took very little time to do.
Will do the hammer, trigger, and hammer dog shimming, when they come in.

Latest posts

Back