CVA Accura on the way!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint head

Reaction score
I pick up my SS/Camo Accura tomorrow! I'm really excited to be shooting a CVA agian... killed my first Muzzleloader deer with a .45 Hunterbolt and 195g Powerbelt. So I'm going with the Durasight Z2 rings and base, and a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9x40. If it shoots well, my load will be 90-100g of 777 and a 338 Platinum PB. At what powder charge do you guys think I can push the 338 to and still have it hold together on a close shoulder shot?

Well there's one report of an elk being shot 3 times with 100gr pellets and a 338g platinum and 30 yards being the longest. The guy said 2 of the bullets didnt expand and one bent a little. I say 150gr mag loads will be safe with the 338!

May also consider the 300 platinum if you'd like to use a little less powder and get some expansion.

He said the extra 2 shots were not needed, but hey, If an animal offers you more than one shot, it doesn't hurt!

Look forward to seeing your reports! I see UC really is enjoying his Accura

Yep, I think they are going to be really nice... Hmmm, maybe the 338 will be to hard for these little deer we have in the South. I do however run into some nasty hogs around here from time to time.

In that case, the 270gr platinum is an excellent bullet that will expand with 100gr pyrodex. I need to get more info on the Platinums. Thats why i felt the field test would be a fun and right to the point way of getting the info out.

Sounds like a good starting point to me.

Damn i wish i would have bought that Accura when i sold the omega :x +

I traded and got that optima so i figured i wouldnt need anything newer just yet.

My main concern is the PB holding together, so I don't want to push them to hard... also the reason I got two packs of the 338's,,, figured they would be tough. My first deer I metioned earlier was shot with a .45 195g AT with a two pellet load... the bullet exploded on impact at about 30 yards... not good!

Oh yeah i believe that. 195gr powerbelt works great with 70gr pyrodex but anything more and you run into some serious trouble.

270s will handle the 90gr triple 7.

Even the 245 cant handle 2 pellets unless its around 100 yards away.

Sounds good! I may load up the 338's with 100g of 2f 777 just for the hell of it and give them a go this deer season, provided they shoot well. At least we will have some good "on game" data for this load. I was thinking it would be a good overall load from coast to coast no matter what the game being hunted.

Oh yeah without a doubt. I'd like to see the 338 in action.

I will be using 348 HP's this november on elk.

Latest posts

Back