CVA Accura 45cal LR-X bore size

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether the new CVA Acura LR-X is as overbore as the Paramount is. I don't see in any of the print about whether they are intended for the ELR bullets too. They make reference to high BC bullets but that's pretty vague. The rifle I'm looking at in particular is the Accura LR-X 45cal 30" 1:22 twist barrel. If it's true to bore like my 50cal Accura V2 Prairie Rifle is then I believe I'm going to give one a try. But if it's as overbore as my Paramount is I'm going to pass. I'd appreciate any 1st hand experience any of you out there have. Thx.

Same bore on the lrx as it is the MRX they were built around their bullet,, I love their 50 cals ,,good luck with the 45,,, they'll do fine as long as you shoot their bullet not many other options.

I asked people at BPI office I think it is called straight up they told me that the rifles were built around their bullet ,,the bore dimensions specifically were built for their bullet ,,,, I guess I can understand make sense if you just want to sell bullets,,, I really like their 50 cal 1 and 28 twist and I sure would buy a couple of fast twists 45 Cal rifles from them if they go back to the drawing board present a rifle to the public that we could shoot a different bullet in ,,, you know what is really amazing is you would still be able to shoot the blue spaceship eld you would think someone at CVA would figure that out

I bought a 45 cal LRX and am leary as to whether I am going to keep it Mine is still in the box I am still up in the air about it They're smart they don't advertise this fact or atleast I haven't seen any

I asked people at BPI office I think it is called straight up they told me that the rifles were built around their bullet ,,the bore dimensions specifically were built for their bullet ,,,, I guess I can understand make sense if you just want to sell bullets,,, I really like their 50 cal 1 and 28 twist and I sure would buy a couple of fast twists 45 Cal rifles from them if they go back to the drawing board present a rifle to the public that we could shoot a different bullet in ,,, you know what is really amazing is you would still be able to shoot the blue spaceship eld you would think someone at CVA would figure that out
Yeah, well if that's the game they're playing then they can keep the the damned LR-X. I learned my lesson with the Paramount. And you're exactly right...my Prairie Rifle shoots the black space ships just fine. But it shoots the Fury bullet to bore much better. And it's a far better bullet. They'd sell a lot more rifles if they'd quit playing this stupid game. I guess I'll look elsewhere.

I just saw that ASG has a Swinglock sizer just for the CVAs. Called a .45+. Preset to .4535. i wonder how small it will go?

https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/swing-lock-adjustable-smooth-sizing-die/
I wonder if it will open up far enough to pass a .458 bullet through so it can be sized down to .454? If I take .453 Fury STBs and knurl them well between 2 files they seat with just the right amount of pressure with no other sizing needed. I'd like to try to size down some .458 bullets down to fit and see how they shoot. I may just give Luke a call and see what he says about this....

Sorry but the are .451. I have mine bumped up and the I size them back down.
Ahh that’s right, my mistake & cornfusion. Thanks for straightening that out.
I had to have all the Parkers I got a cool yrs ago swaged up to my CVA’s bore. I got a lathe knurling tool & an adj sizing die to size various Bullets myself.

I just recently got my new LR-X and the bore is .458
I thought it had.452 bore diamer and my cast bullets rezise to 454
had very low sign of rifling grip on the bullet.

Casted some lee 459-500 3r and they come out my mold to .463
wood hammerd a cast round tip first so it would go in easier, & it did.

Later I used a used brass cleaning rod and hood hammered the round out.
took meassurements and see the result for your self.

Attachments

• thumbnail22.jpg
    thumbnail22.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail11.jpg
    thumbnail11.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 458.jpg
    458.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
I just recently got my new LR-X and the bore is .458
I thought it had.452 bore diamer and my cast bullets rezise to 454
had very low sign of rifling grip on the bullet.

Casted some lee 459-500 3r and they come out my mold to .463
wood hammerd a cast round tip first so it would go in easier, & it did.

Later I used a used brass cleaning rod and hood hammered the round out.
took meassurements and see the result for your self.

So, your groove diameter is .4575 (.458) but it sounds like you bore diameter is closer to the .453/.4535 that seems to be more common with the CVA .45s. Mine is .4525 bore(i size to .4535) with a .4575 groove diameter. You might try sizing to .4545 or even .455.
But if youre casting pure lead then i bet they will obturate just fine and grab rifling really well.

So, your groove diameter is .4575 (.458) but it sounds like you bore diameter is closer to the .453/.4535 that seems to be more common with the CVA .45s. Mine is .4525 bore(i size to .4535) with a .4575 groove diameter. You might try sizing to .4545 or even .455.
But if youre casting pure lead then i bet they will obturate just fine and grab rifling really well.

I ended re-checking my rifle bore measurements after reading for post.
and I'm 99.9% my bore are
Lands .452
Groove .457

Now I know why several CVA owners have complaint on the accuracy on
the LR-X & MR-X .45 cal rifles.

Attachments

• 457.JPG
    457.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
I ended re-checking my rifle bore measurements after reading for post.
and I'm 99.9% my bore are
Lands .452
Groove .457

Now I know why several CVA owners have complaint on the accuracy on
the LR-X & MR-X .45 cal rifles.
.452 is pretty good for a new CVA. And if it’s consistent from breech to muzzle then youve got yourself a really good one.

I fell in same trap by buying most accurate muzzleloader made as in CVA’s advertisement. Boy was I disappointed.

I have one that’s close to .4535 and it shoots great with 10mm bullets in sabots or my cast .458 sized for a slip fit. The trick with sabots is to spank it in the ars hard to get the bullets to obturate.

Latest posts

Back