What's Your Favorite Sidelock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of this morning at 9AM MST I'm down to just three muzzleloaders, seven of my old muzzleloaders (long-guns, shotgun and a few pistols have found new homes in Colorado. Sad to see them go but they all got good homes to younger shooters, that was what made my mind up (used as they should be, will continue to be cared for as I have done and if need be I can go visit them. Can't get any better than that........

I'm at three just three as mentioned, all are new GRRW Collectors Association long guns.

h.e.leman NW Gun.gif

H.E. Leman NW Tradegun [ Ser. No. GRRW.CA #NW01 ] Doc. White (gunsmith)

h.e. leman trade rifle.jpg

H.E. Leman Trade Rifle [ Ser. No. GRRW.CA #L02 ] Les Bennett (gunsmith)

j&s hawken.jpg

J&S Hawken full stock rifle [ Ser. No. GRRW.CA #H03 ] Carl Walker (gunsmith)

NOTE: Ser. No.'s follow each other, a GRRW.CA pistol [ GRRW.CA #T04 ] from GRRW.CA gunsmith Ron Paul in the spring.

Attachments

• h.e. leman trade rifle.jpg
    h.e. leman trade rifle.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 4
  • h.e.leman NW Gun.gif
    h.e.leman NW Gun.gif
    128.7 KB · Views: 4
  • j&s hawken.jpg
    j&s hawken.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
1990ish CVA Kentucky Hunter in .50 cal. Shoots 3"-3 1/2" groups @ 100yd. It has accounted for 40 to 45 deer in the last 30 years.

-Joe

My "Hodgepodge Rifle". Started as a Deer Creek kit from CVA Mountain Rifle parts, then I had to get a new barrel, .45, 7/8" across the flats X 32" long Colerain, 1 in 55" twist. I didn't like the Mtn. Rifle trigger guard so replaced it with a Lehman from Track of the Wolf; the latest change is adding a patchbox. Why a patchbox? I'm really not sure, but it's there now....

Hodgepodge-2.JPG

After cruising over this thread for the umpteenth time, I still can't decide which of my front stuffers I like the best. It is easier to say which one I like the least which sadly is my .45 cal H&A flintlock. This gun shoots straight and is one of my most accurate but ignition has always been unreliable and it eats flints like a fat lady scarfing donuts. It's the one in front. Second picture is the one I probably shoot the most. TC Hawken with a .45 cal. green mountain barrel.View attachment 2933View attachment 2931
Both guns are beautiful. Regarding the eating of flints: have you tried a different flint size? I have an original Brown Bess that likes somewhat shorter flint to get up to speed properly, also it ate them alive before I went to a shorter flint.

The best hunting rifle (modern or muzzleloader) was a little .36 caliber, flintlock poor-boy, built by Frank Hall (Cache La Poudre Rifle Work - Ft. Collins, CO). Used 55 grains of Goex 3F charges and Hornady .350 round balls with .15 patching. When you touched this little gal off it sounded like a .22 Hornet with the loud crack.

She was a small game and deer/antelope killing machine. Lost count of small game and deer size game taken (well over 50 Mulie's according to several hunting friends). We would party hunt on a private ranch with me doing most of the shooting (knew the area like the back of my hand and the owner knew I would be careful of his live-stock) while the rest cleaned and skinned animals shot. Worked out great for my little poor-boy [girl], that's what she was built to do and it did it very well.

Last edited:
My favorite of all time is a 50 cal. CVA Mountain Rifle. It was the epitome of their Design and Engineering and the best rifle they ever made. It’s the best balanced gun I’ve ever put to my shoulder. The sights are easy to find.

Second, would be my CVA Hawken only because it’s lighter. Both rifles have Round Ball barrels, combs, cheek pieces and the same sights.

If I could only own one gun, it would be my Green River Forge, .62 cal. Trade Gun!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back